This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Smoking & Diet Change

Storm

Storm Apprentice

I have noticed that my heart rate has increased since changing my diet.

I smoke and find my heart "thumps" when I smoke...

Does anyone suffer any similiar symptoms?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mattathayde Apprentice

hmmm thats weird that your heart rate increased since going gluten-free, did you have a low rate before?

but heart rate and BP normally increase with nicotine intake and when taking a deep breath

your going to get the "smoking is bad" response of course but its your choice and frankly the political anti smoking groups have made it seem worse than it really is, and in my mind celiac disease is a much worse thing for you body in the long run. (don want this to turn into a debate of tobacco use but it comes down to the fact that the real issues that smoking causes are played up along with cigarettes issues being linked to all tobacco and in the end it is always the individual persons choice)

i smoke hookah (nargile, shisha what ever you want to call it but Europe uses shisha and nargile more for the name), it basically is flavored wet tobacco that is heated in a way to create steam so there is no tar, but some times i do notice my heart rate is a bit faster but usually more so notice a stronger pulse which is probably just higher bp.

if it bothers you or it gets worse talk to you doc for sure

-matt

fripp017 Apprentice

That is kinda weird. I also smoke. I did notice that, but maybe not to the extent that you did. I quit for a week and I felt great, but I had a gluten-free lifestyle break down, so I started again. I felt much better when I quit though. I am going to try again. I did notice that once my body started healing smoking made me feel sick. That is why it was pretty easy for me to quit. You might want to consider why you smoke and if you want to continue. The is no ingredients label on cigarettes so you really don't know how it could actually be affecting your body and how your Celiac Disease might be responding to it. Just a thought.

Storm Apprentice

I have found this link which lists the inregients in a cigarette...

Open Original Shared Link

It mentions "glutamine" in the ingredients list and I have found conflicting reports to see if its linked.

However, I have found this forum entry that makes for interesting reading.....

The "gluten" in wheat, rye, barley, and in a much lower amount, oats, contains particular amino acid sequences that are harmful to persons with celiac disease. The damaging proteins are particularly rich in proline and glutamine (especially the amino acid sequences which are in the following orders: Pro-Ser-Gln-Gln and Gln-Gln-Gln-Pro).

Am I getting glutened with every cigarette????

mattathayde Apprentice

It mentions "glutamine" in the ingredients list and I have found conflicting reports to see if its linked.

The "gluten" in wheat, rye, barley, and in a much lower amount, oats, contains particular amino acid sequences that are harmful to persons with celiac disease. The damaging proteins are particularly rich in proline and glutamine (especially the amino acid sequences which are in the following orders: Pro-Ser-Gln-Gln and Gln-Gln-Gln-Pro).

glutamine is no relation to gluten it is an amino acid

but no one knows for sure what is in cigs, some rolling papers have gluten on them and no telling what the paper used in your brand of cigs has or doesnt have.

the way to know for sue you are not getting glutened is to get gluten free rolling papers, gluten free filters, and roll your own tobacco. you save money, know your not getting glutened, and despite all the argument that smoking is so horrid for you, RYO is much less bad since it is just pure real tobacco and not the 50%+ of paper/chemicals

the talk of what is in cigs comes up all the time on the forums i am on that is a hookah community and, at least in the states, there is some where like 1000 chemicals added into the tobacco to the point that production cigs are less tobacco than paper (hence the reason cigs are "soooooo bad" for you, the paper probably causes more issues)

disclaimer: again of course smoking anything is not good for you body and as such should be a personal decision, that being said as a celiac you should also evaluate if substance use of any kind is worth the risks if it reduces your stress since stress if a very bad thing for us as well. for me personally i have decided smoking hookah (which steams the tobacco and is much less bad, all proper studies point to one hour of smoking it being about along the lines of 1 cig, and almost all smokers of hookah report no-minimal coughing) reduces my stress and makes me sit down and relax so much that any bad it gives me is off set by the stress it takes away

-matt

Gemini Experienced

No, you will not be glutened by smoking a cigarette. You have to ingest gluten into your GI tract to spark the autoimmune reaction. Unless you eat the cigarette, which is far less enjoyable than smoking it, not to worry. :P

mysecretcurse Contributor

I quit cigarettes a couple months ago. I've always been really sensitive to the way they effect me and for me, they always make my heart beat faster/stronger. Nicotene is a stimulant, it's not good for your heart, so it makes sense. I quit but I still smoke pot here and there, don't use rolling papers though as I also heard once they sometimes have wheat.

Maybe going gluten free has just increased your awareness over your body and the way smoking effects you?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
the way to know for sue you are not getting glutened is to get gluten free rolling papers, gluten free filters, and roll your own tobacco. you save money, know your not getting glutened, and despite all the argument that smoking is so horrid for you, RYO is much less bad since it is just pure real tobacco and not the 50%+ of paper/chemicals

-matt

I also switched to a tobacco and papers route. I did first switch to a brand that was only tobacco with no additives but when they raised taxes sky high in my state raising my brand to almost $10 a pack I changed to the roll your own and a $10 package of the tobacco lasts up to 2 weeks. One reason I did so was because I was getting the same reaction from some ciggarettes that I did when I accidently used a lip balm that was not gluten free. My lips would blister, turn blueish and peel like crazy down to raw skin. If a gluten item contacts the mucous membranes in your mouth you can have a reaction. This is why some countries use the mucous membranes in the mouth or rectum to do a gluten challenge. That way the exposure is short lived, they only have to apply it to the area and then biopsy a couple hours later to see if there is a reaction rather than poisoning the person for weeks.

Pulled from that list of ingredients

Malt and Malt Extract

Rye Extract

Tochopherols (mixed),

Wheat Extract And Flour

hermitgirl Contributor

That is really interesting. When I quit smoking two years ago, that was when all, and I mean all, my health problems started. Since quitting smoking, I have had Bell's Palsy, was sick nonstop until my celiac dx(never had any stomach or lethargy issues until i quit smoking) my pulse rate has gone up, as my blood pressure, cholesterol, weight, allergy problems, skin problems, anxiety, depression, nor had i ever had issues with hot and cold flashes or energy.

There are days that I think maybe I will get better if I pick up a pack of cigarettes again.......

ravenwoodglass Mentor
That is really interesting. When I quit smoking two years ago, that was when all, and I mean all, my health problems started. Since quitting smoking, I have had Bell's Palsy, was sick nonstop until my celiac dx(never had any stomach or lethargy issues until i quit smoking) my pulse rate has gone up, as my blood pressure, cholesterol, weight, allergy problems, skin problems, anxiety, depression, nor had i ever had issues with hot and cold flashes or energy.

There are days that I think maybe I will get better if I pick up a pack of cigarettes again.......

Celiac usually has a trigger, that trigger can be a stressor or an illness. Yours may have been triggered by the stress of quiting smoking. If you quite 2 years ago I do hope you don't start again.

hermitgirl Contributor

I don't want to ever start again. But some days I miss feeling good, and those days it really is hard. It was hard to quit. I just get frustrated with the whole situation.

mattathayde Apprentice

i personally believe that since some things hurt people that are good for others why cant tobacco be in that too. i think tobacco can be used in ways that for an individual are better than not using them. also i dont see tobacco as a thing i need to use, it is something i want to use, its a social thing with a lot of religious background (i am into the native american culture, not by blood but by heart). that being said i also think all the junk they throw in the produced cigs, especially the american ones is the issue

-matt

Archived