This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Symptoms

AWonderTree

AWonderTree Rookie

About four months ago, for maybe a year, I felt as if I had an unusually small appetite. I would try to eat as much as I could but be unable to satisfy my caloric needs. I could either stuff myself until I became uncomfortably full (and I often was!), or eat just a little and be lightheaded. I wish I had noted my bowel movements at this time, but I believe I went maybe once every 3-4 days and they were typically a one on Open Original Shared Link. I'm wondering if I unintentionally backed up my body with too much food that caused a cycle of having a small appetite and poor bowel movements. On the other hand, I don't even know if that's possible.

In the next stage of this predicament I listened to my body's hunger signals. I didn't eat much during this time, so I lost a lot of weight. During this period I also saw a doctor. He ran some blood tests including vitamin checks and the celiac panel. Everything came out in the normal ranges except for low vitamin D. His conclusion was that I have an eating disorder. :rolleyes:

This leads me to the stage I'm at now. I began eating a reasonable amount of food and was amazed that my body would accept it. (However, I've been eating so healthily that sometimes my calories fall a bit short.) Right now a chief concern is, once again, my stools. Despite eating what most would probably consider ridiculously healthy and despite taking Miralax as prescribed by my GI, my stools have been mostly twos but also sometimes ones on Open Original Shared Link. (If you want me to post what I've been eating, just ask.)

I'm really considering the possibility of having celiac disease, so here are some things to consider along with the above. (Note: I know some of these might be insignificant, but given some of my more mysterious symptoms, I want to be thorough.)

• My aunt has celiac disease.
  • On the same side of my family, I remember my cousin getting migraines so bad she would cry. Her medication didn't even help them. I no longer talk to her, but I wonder if they were from celiac disease.
  • The sweaty-feeling anus that I've posted about.
  • My arms and legs seem to fall asleep with light pressure. It happens when I stretch and sometimes when I merely rest a limb on an object. (I thought this would be from a vitamin deficiency, or is it from a lack of vitamin D?)
  • Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) (but I admit to having listened to music too loudly on headphones... but I'm only 22 :( )
  • Low libido (from low vitamin D?)
  • I always wake up from sleep after about three hours.
  • My left eye has worse vision than my right (celiacs seem to have problems with the left side of their bodies?)
  • I have felt abdmonal pain, but it has been minor, has only happened a few times, and has only happened when I've eaten a lot. (One time after I ate a sandwich and a hotdog, I had a single sharp pain in my abdomen.)
  • When I first thought I might have celiac disease, I tested myself by eating two tortillas and dry cereal. If I don't have celiac disease, I would love to know why I got a tingling stomach, I couldn't sit still, and I got diarrhea. I've been unable to repeat this episode despite eating lots of gluten. Moreover, there have been other times in the distant past that I got the tingling stomach, inability to sit still, and diarrhea pattern.
  • In the morning when I do a yoga pose that involves lifting my legs in the air, I sometimes get extremely disoriented (or could this be from not eating first?)
  • This might be insignificant, but as a child I experienced formication ("an abnormal sensation of insects crawling on or under the skin").

I'll get a biopsy of my small intestine in three days. I'll tell you the results when I get them.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Well, Celiac Disease does come with a lot of symptoms. It sounds like some are common but others you have I have never heard of. Hopefully your biopsy brings some answers.

Archived