This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nyc Restaurants - Recommendations

Celiac in the city

Celiac in the city Newbie

Long time reader, first time poster. Diagnosed celiac for 4 years and extremely sensitive. 24, living in New York City, still enjoying the restaurant scene in NYC despite the celiacs. I always carefully explain to the waiter what I can and cannot have, both before and after I order. Yes, I've had some times where I've definitely eaten something that wasn't 100% gluten-free....but for me, being able to eat out in restaurants with friends and not feel restricted is worth it. Very long winded intro into my suggestions for eating gluten-free in NYC. Please also note that besides the below, I've eaten in many other great places with no gluten-free menu but great waiters/waitresses who have taken care of me.

Lumi - great Italian restaurant with gluten-free menu on UES. A bit on the fancy side.

Peter's - diner on the UES with a very long gluten-free menu. Felt great to be able to order a grilled cheese for the first time in years.

Candle 79/Candle Cafe - sister vegan restaurants on the UES with gluten-free menus. Delicious, but expensive.

Gobo - gluten-free menu, vegan on the UES. Not as expensive as candle cafe, but in my opinion no where as good

Bistango - italian in Murray Hill with gluten-free menu. Lovely staff, wonderful food, homey atmosphere

Risotteria - gluten-free risotto, panini & pizza. Yummy, but tiny tables and occasionally long waits

S'mac - gluten-free macaroni in the east village. Tons of choices of choose from, as long as you're in the mood for mac & cheese! Try the brie and fig.

Babycakes - gluten-free cupcakes, brownies on the LES. I think the cupcakes are a little dry but still - gluten-free cupcakes!!! The brownies are great.

Lilli & Loo - chinese and pan-asian, midtown east with a gluten free menu. Sometimes it's awesome, occasionally just ok. Lots to choose from.

Mozzerelli's - I definitely spelled that wrong! Pizza place across from Madison Square Park. Selection of gluten-free pizza and desserts. About four times a year has a gluten-free sunday with gluten-free pasta and sandwiches on the menu. Really yummy, but for some reason I never feel well after I eat there. It's possible I'm reacting to something else in the food, since I can't figure out how the food would be cross-contaminated on the day where they only have gluten-free food in the kitchen

Hampton's Chutney Co - no gluten-free menu, but has a great selection of dosa (naturally gluten-free, indian chickpea crepes) with inventive fillings

BR Guest Restaurants - Dos Caminos (mexican), Atlantic Grill (seafood) & various others around the city - no gluten-free menu, but waiters are trained very well to handle allergies and other food sensitivities

Union Square Cafe - no gluten-free menu, but again waiters are well trained. Delicious foods, but expensive and a reservation is usually needed.

Only one place where I've had an awful experience - Vynl. There's one on the UES, one the UWS and one in Chelsea. Waiter told me the nachos were made with corn chips. They came and I thought they looked a little funny. So I asked him to make sure. He came back and said they were definitely corn. As I was eating my third bite he came by and told me that he had made a mistake and they were wheat. He had obviously never checked when I asked the first two times and then thought better of it. He then had the nerve to charge us for the nachos. Partly my fault, since I had a bad feeling about it, but still I would never eat at a restaurant that hired staff that lazy and rude.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NJKen Rookie

I've had good experiences at Sambuca, an Italian restaurant on West 72nd Street (about 6-8 blocks north of Lincoln Center), and Lili's 57, a very informal Chinese/Japanese/Thai restaurant on 7th Avenue near 57th Street. Both have gluten-free menus.

Also, for people not familiar with New York's geography, UES=Upper East Side, LES=Lower East Side, and UWS=Upper West Side. Upper=Northern and Lower=Southern.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

The best part about NYC now is being able to eat, ha! Thanks for your recommendations!

ENF Enthusiast

Gluten free restaurants, and events, in and around NYC are discussed on The New York City Celiac Disease Meetup Group Message Board. There's been a lot new gluten-free options lately, and this is a good resource for residents, or visitors, to keep track of them with.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I actually just posted this on the Pizzeria Uno's thread, but figured I'd chime in here as well. I just ate at the Pizzeria Uno's on the UWS a couple weeks ago and the vegetable pizza was really good. I was heading over to Nice Matin (which I recently heard has a gluten-free menu), but I passed Uno's on my way and decided to give it a try. I felt rather touristy sitting at a Uno's in the city... but the pizza was great so it's ok. LOL!

There is also a restaurant that I read about on Celiac Chicks called Petit Cafe that in addition to other menu offerings has gluten-free French Toast! I plan on checking that out soon.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Jannette
    Newest Member
    Jannette
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Fluka66
      Thank you again for your reply and comments which I have read carefully as I appreciate any input at this stage. I'm tending to listen to what my body wants me to do, having been in agony for many years any respite has been welcome and avoiding all wheat and lactose has thankfully brought this.  When in pain before I was seen by a number of gynacologists as I had 22 fibroids and had an operation 13 years ago to shrink them . However the pain remained and intensified to the point over the years where I began passing out. I was in and out of a&e during covid when waiting rooms where empty. My present diet is the only thing that's given me any hope for the future. As I say I had never heard of celiac disease before starting so I guess had this not come up in a conversation I would just have carried on. It was the swollen lymph node that sent me to a boots pharmacist who immediately sent me to a&e where a Dr asked questions prescribed antibiotics and then back to my GP. I'm now waiting for my hospital appointment . Hope this answers your question. I found out more about the disease because I googled something I wouldn't normally do, it did shed light on the disease but I also read some things that this disease can do. On good days I actually hope I haven't got this but on further investigation my mother's side of the family all Celtic have had various problems 're stomach pain my poor grandmother cried in pain as did her sister whilst two of her brother's survived WW2 but died from ulcers put down to stress of fighting.  Wishing you well with your recovery.  Many thanks  
    • knitty kitty
      Welcome to the forum, @Nacina, What supplements is your son taking?
    • knitty kitty
      @BluegrassCeliac, I'm agreeing.  It's a good thing taking magnesium. And B vitamins. Magnesium and Thiamine work together.  If you supplement the B vitamins which include Thiamine, but don't have sufficient magnesium, Thiamine won't work well.  If you take Magnesium, but not Thiamine, magnesium won't work as well by itself. Hydrochlorothiazide HCTZ is a sulfonamide drug, a sulfa drug.  So are proton pump inhibitors PPIs, and SSRIs. High dose Thiamine is used to resolve cytokine storms.  High dose Thiamine was used in patients having cytokine storms in Covid infections.  Magnesium supplementation also improves cytokine storms, and was also used during Covid. How's your Vitamin D? References: Thiamine and magnesium deficiencies: keys to disease https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25542071/ Hiding in Plain Sight: Modern Thiamine Deficiency https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8533683/ The Effect of a High-Dose Vitamin B Multivitamin Supplement on the Relationship between Brain Metabolism and Blood Biomarkers of Oxidative Stress: A Randomized Control Trial https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6316433/ High‐dose Vitamin B6 supplementation reduces anxiety and strengthens visual surround suppression https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9787829/ Repurposing Treatment of Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome for Th-17 Cell Immune Storm Syndrome and Neurological Symptoms in COVID-19: Thiamine Efficacy and Safety, In-Vitro Evidence and Pharmacokinetic Profile https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33737877/ Higher Intake of Dietary Magnesium Is Inversely Associated With COVID-19 Severity and Symptoms in Hospitalized Patients: A Cross-Sectional Study https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9132593/ Magnesium and Vitamin D Deficiency as a Potential Cause of Immune Dysfunction, Cytokine Storm and Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation in covid-19 patients https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7861592/ Sulfonamide Hypersensitivity https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31495421/
    • BluegrassCeliac
      Hi,   Not saying Thiamine (B1) couldn't be an issue as well, but Mg was definitely the cause of my problems. It's the only thing that worked. I supplemented with B vitamins, but that didn't change anything, in fact they made me sick. Mg stopped all my muscle pain (HCTZ) within a few months and fixed all the intestinal problems HCTZ caused as well. Mom has an allergy to some sulfa drugs (IgG Celiac too), but I don't think I've ever taken them. Mg boosted my energy as well. It solved a lot of problems. I take 1000mg MgO a day with no problems. I boost absorption with Vitamin D. Some people can't take MgO,  like mom, she takes Mg Glycinate. It's one of those things that someone has try and find the right form for themselves. Everyone's different. Mg deficiency can cause anxiety and is a treatment for it. A pharmacist gave me a list of drugs years ago that cause Mg deficiency: PPIs, H2 bockers, HCTZ, some beta blockers (metoprolol which I've taken -- horrible side effects), some anti-anxiety meds too were on it. I posted because I saw he was an IgG celiac. He's the first one I've seen in 20 years, other than my family. We're rare. All the celiacs I've met are IgA. Finding healthcare is a nightmare. Just trying to help. B  
    • Scott Adams
      It sounds like you've been through a lot with your son's health journey, and it's understandable that you're seeking answers and solutions. Given the complexity of his symptoms and medical history, it might be beneficial to explore a few avenues: Encourage your son to keep a detailed journal of his symptoms, including when they occur, their severity, any triggers or patterns, and how they impact his daily life. This information can be valuable during medical consultations and may help identify correlations or trends. Consider seeking opinions from specialized medical centers or academic hospitals that have multidisciplinary teams specializing in gastrointestinal disorders, especially those related to Celiac disease and Eosinophilic Esophagitis (EOE). These centers often have experts who deal with complex cases and can offer a comprehensive evaluation. Since you've already explored alternative medicine with a nutrition response doctor and a gut detox diet, you may want to consider consulting a functional medicine practitioner. They take a holistic approach to health, looking at underlying causes and imbalances that may contribute to symptoms. Given his low vitamin D levels and other nutritional markers, a thorough nutritional assessment by a registered dietitian or nutritionist specializing in gastrointestinal health could provide insights into any deficiencies or dietary adjustments that might help alleviate symptoms. In addition to routine tests, consider asking about more specialized tests that may not be part of standard screenings. These could include comprehensive stool analyses, food intolerance testing, allergy panels, or advanced imaging studies to assess gut health.