Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I went to my doctor's office to pick up my test results. I had been told they were negative, but I was hoping to see the actual values. Unfortunately, the print out doesn't give the actual values. It looks like the test was for tTA and IgA. Those are the only 2 listed. The results just say "normal level" and that the criteria they look at is a result greater than 19 units. I have no way of knowing what my actual numbers are, and they told me that what they gave me is exactly what my doctor got, which doesn't help much.

I have seen some results on this site that are measuring for over 10 units? Is that baseline used outside the US, or does it differ by lab? I don't think this was a lab that specializes in celiac diagnosis, just whoever was contracted with the HMO.

I have been gluten free since Nov '08 based on elimination diet, with fantastic results. I don't care so much about having a doctor diagnose me, it just galls me that my doctor didn't take me seriously and was implying my symptoms were originating between my ears.

Positive response to elimination diet November 2008

Gluten free since November 2008

Dairy free since March 2011

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I went to my doctor's office to pick up my test results. I had been told they were negative, but I was hoping to see the actual values. Unfortunately, the print out doesn't give the actual values. It looks like the test was for tTA and IgA. Those are the only 2 listed. The results just say "normal level" and that the criteria they look at is a result greater than 19 units. I have no way of knowing what my actual numbers are, and they told me that what they gave me is exactly what my doctor got, which doesn't help much.

I have seen some results on this site that are measuring for over 10 units? Is that baseline used outside the US, or does it differ by lab? I don't think this was a lab that specializes in celiac diagnosis, just whoever was contracted with the HMO.

I have been gluten free since Nov '08 based on elimination diet, with fantastic results. I don't care so much about having a doctor diagnose me, it just galls me that my doctor didn't take me seriously and was implying my symptoms were originating between my ears.

If you have been gluten free since 08 your test results will be negative no matter whether you are celiac or not. You would need to do at least a 3 month gluten challenge for any chance at a positive result. If you have had fantastic results with the diet then you really have your answer.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)