This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need A Gf Recipe For Spanish Style Rice And Beans

Guest michneva

Guest michneva

Hey!

A co-worker of mine is from Puerto Rico. She wants to have my husband and I over for a traditional dish of Rice and Beans...my husband was psyched...however I was visiting with the woman and she showed me the ingredients as she is aware of my gluten-free diet ...and alot of stuff is not gluten-free....especially the GOYA flavorings....anybody out there have any recipe suggestions for this delicious traditional dish . I would love to enjoy this with them!

Thanks! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

catfish Apprentice

I'm not familiar with the GOYA seasonings, I never did use premixed seasonings much. I make my Spanish style rice with homemade chili powder- a mixture of onion powder, Mexican oregano (dried), toasted ground cumin and ground, dried chiles (I use about 3 ancho chilis to 1 chipotle for a little smokey flavor). If you can find a gluten-free chili powder then you can use that.

To make spanish style rice (I always refer to it as Tex-Mex rice and beans) I start by sauteeing onions, then add some crushed garlic and brown some ground beef together with that. Sometimes I'll add some fresh chopped green chiles or bell pepper. I add the chili powder (a Tb or two) and deglaze the pan with a dash of wine or broth (alcohol will extract some flavors from the chili powder that broth will not). I then add a can of diced tomatoes or crushed stewed tomatoes. I simmer this down and and then add enough broth or water and rice (add 2 cups broth/water to 1 cup rice unless using instant rice, then use 1/1 ratio) and if you are adding beans add them at this time (if they are canned, strain them and rinse them. If dried, cook them first!) An option at this time is to add the juice of a lime to give it some acidity. Also, check it now to see if it needs more salt. Cover and reduce to the lowest setting and keep it covered until the rice is tender (about 20 minutes to 1/2 hour for non-instant rice, about 5 to 10 minutes for instant).

If you use an oven safe pan, you can sprinkle cheese on this and then broil it to melt the cheese. If you like you can dust it with chili powder or paprika, and a garnish of fresh cilantro or chopped scallions is perfect for this!

cdford Contributor

I was going to add my own recipe, but Catfish yours sounds so good I think I'll try it instead!

Guest michneva
I was going to add my own recipe, but Catfish yours sounds so good I think I'll try it instead!

wait!

:o

tell me your so I can run them all by her!

Deby Apprentice

I know there are some brands of seasoning mixes (mex style) that are gluten-free. I'd just run to the grocery and read the labels on chili and taco seasoning packets and see which ones are gluten-free.

I mix my own at home, but when traveling, I've bought them. Also, friends have invited us over and they have found the gluten-free seasoning packets.

My mix uses:

1/4 cup chili powder

2 tbsp cumin powder

1 tsp corriander powder

2 tsp onion powder

1 tsp garlic powder (or omit this and use fresh roasted garlic, see below)

1 tbsp or 5 cubes gluten-free chicken bullion crushed.

1/2 tsp red pepper powder

1 tbsp dried cilantro

I keep this mix in a bag in the spice cabinet. For Spanish rice, preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Also preheat a cast iron or heavy bottom pan to med high heat.

Place 2 tomatillios (sp? Spanish tomatos) 1 lg green chilie, 2 roma tomatoes, one bulb of garlic, and 1 med yellow onion(skin intact) in a baking pan. Drizzle with oil, cover loosly with foil and place in oven. Bake for 15 to 30 minutes until all are roasted.

While veggies are baking, add 1 cup of dry rice to your cast iron pan. Lightly brown stirring constantly. Add 2 cups chicken stock and 2 or 3 tbsp of the above mix. Boil until most of the water is gone.

Remove roasted veggies from the oven. Skin and chop the veggies, also remove seeds from the tomato and green chili. Stir chopped veggies into the rice. Salt to taste. Spread rice mixture in a casserol dish and bake (covered) in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.

Guest nini

I go for simplicity... I make up a batch of rice, then I mix in a jar of Green Mountain Gringo Salsa, I love it cause they label it gluten-free!!!! Anyway, It's really yummy cos it has all the spices in the salsa already and the tomatoes and the peppers and so on...

Guest michneva

Thanks so much everyone

PLEASE KEEP EM' COMIN'!

:D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Deby Apprentice
I go for simplicity...

LOL... My parent's and husband say I don't know the meaning of the word when it comes to cooking! :P

For my recipe, you can sub a can of Rotel mild or hot tomatoes and green chili's for all of the roasted veggies. But it's just not the same.

Archived