This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free And Vegetarian Dinner Ideas?

tkd723

tkd723 Newbie

a friend and I have been talking about cooking dinner together for awhile now... he's vegetarian and I'm a meat-loving Celiac... I'm a pretty decent cook, but pretty much everything I make has some form of meat in it... Since it's easier for me to find a vegetarian recipe instead of telling him to find a gluten-free recipe, does anyone have any delicious recipe suggestions? neither of us is picky, minus the dietary restrictions... i want to impress him!

I was thinking a vegetarian moussaka or maybe some kind of risotto? Even so, I'd just love to hear some of your fave vegetarian recipes so I can expand my horizons :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Oh, I love risotto and stir fry. Since it is nicer weather you should be able to get some delicious fresh veggies! You could do some grilling: kebabs or just veggies like egg plant, asparagus, potatoes, etc. Pasta is always an option, too, or even a loaded veggie pizza! The possibilities are endless, really.

Have fun!

Juliebove Rising Star

Easy vegetarian meals would be beans and rice or beans and pasta. Black bean soup is a good vegetarian meal. If your recipe calls for chicken broth, use vegetable broth instead.

I make a pasta salad that's really good! I use a package of Tri-Color pasta, cooked and cooled, then add some bell pepper in assorted colors cut in chunks, chunks of cucumber, sliced green onions, black olives (I would also add green but daughter doesn't like them), kidney beans parsley and Italian dressing. Cubes of cheese would be good in this too.

FMcGee Explorer

Hi! I'm not a vegetarian, but my partner and I try not to eat meat too often, for health and environmental reasons (and my body doesn't make the enzymes to digest red meat, so that's not an option anyway - just chicken and fish when we do eat meat). We make tons of vegetarian food, and a lot of it is naturally gluten-free, like rice- and quinoa-based dishes. E-mail me if you'd like, and I can send you some recipes. What kinds of food/flavor profiles do you particularly enjoy?

missy'smom Collaborator

tortilla casserole-layer these things(or some of them or others not listed) in a casserole dish, not necessarily in this order- corn tortillas, black beans, refried beans(mild or spicy), mexican rice, cheese, enchilada sauce, corn-cover and bake until heated through. Serve with a salad. I happen to have individual round casseroles(pyrex/corning ware) that are the same size as the tortillas-if you used something like that you could add leftover taco meat or chicken to yours.

I don't know what enchilada sauces are gluten-free so I make my own in batches and freeze it.

Wonka Apprentice

At my house there are two meat eating gluten free eaters, two vegetarians and two non discerning eaters. The vegetarians eat what ever we eat only without the meat. Example: Tonight I am doing a pork tenderloin with jamaican jerk spice rub, I have also rubbed some slices of tofu and I'll serve that with a mango salsa (mango, jalapeno, red onion, cilantro and lime). Last week I made pork chops (honest we don't usually eat this much pork. lol) in a mushroom sauce, the vegetarians had tofu in the mushroom sauce. I served this over rice fettucine noodles. When I make curries, I do the same, meat in one and tofu in the other.

I can't just do vegetarian recipes, as I'm the one with all the extra food sensitives (all legumes, all nightshades, carrageenan), so this is how I've handles things.

• 2 months later...
SweetLaura286 Newbie

My fiance is a Celiac and I am a vegetarian so we run into this often! The other night we made a wonderful 'vegiac' dinner. We cooked rice in a rice cooker with gluten-free vegetable broth (We used Imagine brand that is at our local supermarket) and cut up mushrooms, purple onion, zucchini, and red peppers, drizzled them with olive oil, sea salt, garlic, and a little italian seasoning and roasted them on high heat (425) for like, 20 minutes? We made the rice cheesy by adding a package of Alouette Garlic & Herb cheese (both vegetarian & gluten free). We had friends over and we all ate til we were about to bust! It was a great dinner; I hope this helps.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

daphniela Explorer

Indian food! I love dal! It is made from lentils. I had some yesterday. I made some rice with mixed vegetables and cooked it in broth. Add the vegetables toward the end of cooking time or it will end up mushy. You can add spinach to the lentils toward the end also, if you like spinach. I grilled onions and garlic and when the lentils were cooked, put the onions into the lentils, mised up and seasoned. Mashed the lentils and you got dal.

Another one is Thai spring rolls with a side of rice or tofu stir fry. Marinate the tofu ahead of time. Vegetarin chilli beans and corn bread. Burittos when black beans and tofu. Vegetable lasgna (eggplant, spinach, mushrooms, brocolli) Spaghetti with zuchinni.

I used to be vegetarian so I have lots of other ideas. I am pretty close to becoming one again since I am planning on going organic and meat is expensive when organic.

ranger Enthusiast

Quinoa- cook in white wine and vege broth. Lightly saute any veges and add. Throw in a good amount of fresh basil and top with parmeson for the meat eaters. Is good hot or cold and is a complete protein with no meat (I put peices of cooked chicken breast in mine).

Archived