This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Itchy

JBaby

JBaby Enthusiast

I was itchy pre gluten and am still itchy. I now it is a symptom, but does it go away? My face and chin is itchy alot. Now that I see on here that sensodyne has gluten which is what I have been sing since feb, i wonder if that is it. I became more itchy these last few months as i was eating out more including eating pasta...I date and now live with an itialian. We had a lot of pasta. My arms and legs will be itchy, back also. Prior to Feb, i dont recall being so itchy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Do you ever get hives with that itchiness? If so, you might want to go to a dermatologist and ask about chronic urticaria. It's also possible that while you were still consuming gluten the number of mast cells in your GI system was depressed... now that your body is healing you're feeling the effects of the new and increased number of mast cells <_< Histamine (one of the chemicals they release) is known to cause itchy skin, itchy eyes, etc... DH is also itchy, but that would give you a rash.

Here's an abstract about celiac disease and mast cells:

Open Original Shared Link

JBaby Enthusiast
Do you ever get hives with that itchiness? If so, you might want to go to a dermatologist and ask about chronic urticaria. It's also possible that while you were still consuming gluten the number of mast cells in your GI system was depressed... now that your body is healing you're feeling the effects of the new and increased number of mast cells <_< Histamine (one of the chemicals they release) is known to cause itchy skin, itchy eyes, etc... DH is also itchy, but that would give you a rash.

Here's an abstract about celiac disease and mast cells:

Nor sure what hives are.I do have 3 spots on my abdomen but they dont itch. They are new, maybe a week old.

Oh right ;)

Hives are red spots, sometimes with a "wheal" that looks like a mosquito bite. They disappear quickly -- within minutes or hours -- and don't leave a scar. Here's one example:

JBaby Enthusiast
Oh right ;)

Hives are red spots, sometimes with a "wheal" that looks like a mosquito bite. They disappear quickly -- within minutes or hours -- and don't leave a scar. Here's one example:

Dont think thats what I have. I am still itchy. Thinking it may be my shamoo. John Frieda blonde expressions line.

My skin gets itchy just from taking a shower, especially a hot shower (which I LOVE, even though I know I shouldn't do it). Part of the problem is that it makes my skin extra dry... soap and shampoo make the situation even worse.

SLB5757 Enthusiast

I have very itchy skin at times. I use Jergens Cherry-Almond scented lotion. Even with all of my multiple allergies - this lotion works really well for me and does not irritate my skin. I use it head to toe in the morning and at night (and especially head to toe if you take a shower). Another good one is unscented Palmers Cocoa Butter lotion. I find that lotions like Johnsons baby lotion that are supposed to be very mild just do not provide enough moisture. Other lotions such as "Keri" or even "Bath and Body" are too strong.

For the "bumps" on your abdomen I would try and use Benadryl cream and hydrocortisone cream. Not at the same time of course, but I have found that using them in combination will usually get rid of the bumps fairly quickly. I will sometimes have bumps that appear that almost look like a mosquito bite. They are quite itchy and almost make me feel like maybe I had been bitten by a spider. Anyhow, I will use Benadryl cream then 2-4 hours later hydrocortisone cream and continue that process until the bumps go away.

Hope that helps :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

JBaby Enthusiast
I have very itchy skin at times. I use Jergens Cherry-Almond scented lotion. Even with all of my multiple allergies - this lotion works really well for me and does not irritate my skin. I use it head to toe in the morning and at night (and especially head to toe if you take a shower). Another good one is unscented Palmers Cocoa Butter lotion. I find that lotions like Johnsons baby lotion that are supposed to be very mild just do not provide enough moisture. Other lotions such as "Keri" or even "Bath and Body" are too strong.

For the "bumps" on your abdomen I would try and use Benadryl cream and hydrocortisone cream. Not at the same time of course, but I have found that using them in combination will usually get rid of the bumps fairly quickly. I will sometimes have bumps that appear that almost look like a mosquito bite. They are quite itchy and almost make me feel like maybe I had been bitten by a spider. Anyhow, I will use Benadryl cream then 2-4 hours later hydrocortisone cream and continue that process until the bumps go away.

Hope that helps :)

Well, they are not bumps. Brown round spots. They dont itch, just appeared. I will give it time, see if it goes away.

samcarter Contributor

I get very itchy when I eat dairy (when will I learn, I know). The itchiness is first confined to my face, around the jawline. I recently noticed I'm more sensitive to hot water after I've had dairy, as well. Usually I love a super hot bath but after a dose of dairy it causes my skin to itch, like heat rash.

You might try keeping a food diary, to see if dairy or another food is related to the itchiness.

Archived