This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Tried Regular Oatmeal Twice

sixtytwo

sixtytwo Apprentice

Last Thursday and this Tuesday, I tried regular oatmeal and it tasted so good with a little brown sugar and milk. However, I was so sick on Saturday night and last night which for me is extreme nausea, light headedness, and exaustion so bad that I could not stand up, I had to go to bed. I used to have these incidents before going gluten-free five years ago and have not had one since going gluten-free. Do you think eating oatmeal could have caused this? On Saturday I thought it was just overdoing it last week, but now that it happened again yesterday, I suspect the oatmeal. FOR SURE, I won't be eating it again and if it never happens again, I will know oatmeal and I do not get along. Do you think it could have been from Thursday to Saturday for the first batch to have caught up with me?

Barbara

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I would say it is definitely the oatmeal. Technically oats are gluten free, however oats are generally grown in the same fields as wheat and processed, shipping, etc. in the same facilities. The potential for cross contamination is much higher than most other products. Personally I will only eat oats that come from a dedicated field and facility.

Also, there are many people with celiac, who aren't able to tolerate oats. I'm not sure how common that is, but I have heard people say they aren't able to tolerate them.

If you are looking for an instant gluten-free Oatmeal, I recently found Glutenfreeda's Instant Oatmeal. It's delicious. It comes in 3 varities. Apple Cinnamon with Flax, Maple Raisin with Flax and Banana Maple with Flax.

For baking, I use the Cream Hill Estates oats.

Juliebove Rising Star

Regular oatmeal is not considered gluten free. Because of the way it is grown, transported, etc. it is prone to cross contamination. Get some gluten free oatmeal. Costs more but it's worth it.

happygirl Collaborator

I definitely think its the oatmeal since regular oatmeal, due to processing, is not gluten free. I hope you feel better.

There are gluten free oatmeal options, including a new instant gluten-free oatmeal.

tarnalberry Community Regular

it's worth adding that since avenin, the oat protein, and gliadin, the wheat protein, are structurally so similar, approximately 10% of celiacs DO react to pure, truly wheat free,oats exactly the same as they do to wheat.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I believe that I am one of those that react to oatmeal. I had gluten free oatmeal once and got so sick that I am not going to try it again to be sure.

loco-ladi Contributor

Bobs red mill makes something called "wicked good hot cereal" or something like that anywaqys, lol its kinda a cross between oatmeal and cream of wheat which I like when I have an oatmeal craving.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mattathayde Apprentice

im surprised if it takes 48 hours for a reaction, personally i get reactions in 2-3 hours tops, given mine are lower GI but i still would expect your reactions a bit quicker

i dont eat oat meal ever but my mom makes sun flower seed cookies with quaker oatmeal cookies and while i dont know honestly if they hit me or not i dont think they gave me much of an issue if any

-matt

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

I have had a horrible reaction to gluten-free oats. Not to be too descriptive, but basically the whole day after was cramping and yellow D non stop.... :ph34r:

mysecretcurse Contributor
it's worth adding that since avenin, the oat protein, and gliadin, the wheat protein, are structurally so similar, approximately 10% of celiacs DO react to pure, truly wheat free,oats exactly the same as they do to wheat.

I agree. I consider oats the same as wheat and wouldn't trust gluten free oats any more than the regular.

I ate oats once and got really sick and after that I would never do it again. Exact same reaction as to wheat.

Archived