Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

quilt64

18 Year Old With Celiac And Have Questions

Hi my name is Jackie and I am a newbie to the forum but not new to Celiac Disease , she was diagnosed 4 years ago,,I am trying to find out if anyone here has gotten on disability for Celiac Disease ? Or does anyone know if you can get disability for Celiac Disease

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac is covered under the ADA but that does not mean that it qualifies for disability. Strict adherance to the diet will usually resolve most issues. However there are at times other effects that are related to celiac that if present may qualify someone. This is the case when people have developed neuro issues or autoimmune diseases due to the long length of time before diagnosis. How long is it since she has been diagnosed and how symptomatic is she at this time. It does take some time to heal and to ferret out all the hidden gluten that sneaks into our systems. If she was recently diagnosed try to be patient and those issues should resolve. If the person you are referring to is a child the coverage through the ADA should be addressed with the school as the school will be required to make a plan to keep her safe while she is there.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Hi Jackie,

I have never heard of any one needing to go on disability because of celiac disease. The court system can be very tough and will most likely not have any one suffering from celiac disease get disability. They will find other solutions, but the chances are very, very slim. We are fighting to get my father on disability because he suffers from dementia and they are even being difficult about that!