This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Menses & Gluten Intolerance/allergy

Desy

Desy Rookie

Hi there, everyone, I'm a n00b here. Not sure if I have a gluten allergy (I cannot afford the test at present), but I sure am convinced....I have a lot of typical symptoms.

Anyway, how many females out there have problems with their periods coinciding with their gluten allergy/intolerance symptoms? This past one has been pure HELL for me. Horribly painful cramps, terrible backache, emotional roller coaster, very heavy flow, etc. And I was four days late -- this never happens.

I have read several other posts about gluten allergies & really bad PMS.....does anyone know or can anyone explain the supposed connection b/w gluten allergy & hormone problems?

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Welcome to the group!

I suffered from very heavy, crampy periods for years :( It's possible that gluten is making the situation worse, but there are other things (like endometriosis) that can cause those symptoms too.

Incidentally, I recently found out that the uterus has a pretty high concentration of mast cells, which are involved not only in allergic reactions but in menstruation and orgasm. Celiac disease is not an allergy (it's an autoimmune disorder), but if you do have a true allergy it's possible that the mast cells in your uterus are being triggered more than normal... causing pain and heavy flow.

You really should consider getting a celiac panel (blood test) before experimenting with a gluten-free diet. If it helps... and you don't want to go back to eating gluten... you might really regret not knowing for sure if you have celiac disease. It makes a difference in how strict you need to be.

Desy Rookie

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Although I knew that celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder, I didn't know about the mast cells being in the uterus. I don't have endometriosis. I'd really love to get the test, but I cannot afford it right now. I have been so sick that I have not been able to work in almost a year. Money is very tight. :( Believe me, I would if I could. I'm currently seeing a naturopath b/c my health has been so bad. That is extremely expensive, but it's finally giving me some answers after literally decades of being sick, & conventional Western medicine not helping me.

My other symptoms are:

EXTREME lethargy

insomnia

bloating

acne

gas

constipation

weight gain

depression

brain fog

anemia

DH

chronic idopathic urticaria (two outbreaks only)

stomach upset

chronic fatigue

That's all I can remember @ the moment.

strawberrynin Newbie

I don't have endometriosis.

Have you had a laparoscopic procedure to rule this out? I have had multiple procedures to remove endometriosis. It is not detectable on any scan or test. It has to be visualized. With the gas and bloating - my endometriosis has a habit of wrapping around my colon causing trapped, painful gas, bloating and issues with bowel movements. I wouldn't suggest ruling that out completely.

bloating

constipation

weight gain

depression

brain fog

chronic fatigue

These symptoms are also associated with Hashimoto's disease (autoimmune hypothyroidism). Have you ever had your TSH checked? Without insurance it would cost about $50.

I understand being frustrated with conventional doctors... I've had some very BAD experiences...but I'm not sure a naturopath will be able to help you if your thyroid is destroyed. The only solution is to take replacement thyroid hormones (which are not available as an OTC supplement).

Desy Rookie
Have you had a laparoscopic procedure to rule this out? I have had multiple procedures to remove endometriosis. It is not detectable on any scan or test. It has to be visualized. With the gas and bloating - my endometriosis has a habit of wrapping around my colon causing trapped, painful gas, bloating and issues with bowel movements. I wouldn't suggest ruling that out completely.

No I haven't. Guess I need to change my dr. because she told me that I don't have endometriosis (after examining me during my physicals).

I don't see her anymore anyway. I've had it with conventional medicine. I go to a naturopath now.

Desy Rookie
These symptoms are also associated with Hashimoto's disease (autoimmune hypothyroidism). Have you ever had your TSH checked? Without insurance it would cost about $50.

I understand being frustrated with conventional doctors... I've had some very BAD experiences...but I'm not sure a naturopath will be able to help you if your thyroid is destroyed. The only solution is to take replacement thyroid hormones (which are not available as an OTC supplement).

Yes. I just got a whole blood hormone panel done. Turns out my thyroid is normal. But this was at a conventional medical lab. They "lost" one my first blood samples, however. Long story, but since I had two bunches of samples done that same day & sent together, I don't fully trust them.

Apparently, you can help your thyroid by consuming many root vegetables, using a rebounder, doing yoga, and other things........they say that this includes hypothyroidism.

I have to say, although some gluten intolerance/allergy symptoms sound very similar to hypothyroidism, I wish I had the money to get both tests done......(including the thyroid tests for a SECOND time).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yes. I just got a whole blood hormone panel done. Turns out my thyroid is normal. But this was at a conventional medical lab. They "lost" one my first blood samples, however. Long story, but since I had two bunches of samples done that same day & sent together, I don't fully trust them.

Apparently, you can help your thyroid by consuming many root vegetables, using a rebounder, doing yoga, and other things........they say that this includes hypothyroidism.

I have to say, although some gluten intolerance/allergy symptoms sound very similar to hypothyroidism, I wish I had the money to get both tests done......(including the thyroid tests for a SECOND time).

If your thyroid levels are normal that's great! If you ever have another bout of chronic urticaria you might want to get yourself retested... Hashimoto's is very common in people with that disorder.

I have read that some people are able to kickstart a "sluggish" thyroid by taking supplements, changing their diet etc... it's like reversing type II diabetes. The problem with Hashimoto's disease is that it's like type I diabetes. Once the gland is destroyed you become dependent on replacement hormones.

Maybe you already knew this ;) ... just wanted to get the information out there for anyone else who might be reading this thread.

Desy Rookie
If your thyroid levels are normal that's great! If you ever have another bout of chronic urticaria you might want to get yourself retested... Hashimoto's is very common in people with that disorder.

I have read that some people are able to kickstart a "sluggish" thyroid by taking supplements, changing their diet etc... it's like reversing type II diabetes. The problem with Hashimoto's disease is that it's like type I diabetes. Once the gland is destroyed you become dependent on replacement hormones.

Maybe you already knew this ;) ... just wanted to get the information out there for anyone else who might be reading this thread.

Hi; thanks for this. I didn't know that re: Hashimoto's & chronic idiopathic urticaria. Do you have any more info on this?

Oh great. My mom had Hashimoto's & had to get her left thyroid surgically removed. And now she's been on synthyroid for years & years. So now I can see myself having it. :(

Sorry to be such a downer. I'm just extremely, extremely frustrated right now. I have literally been sick for over 19 years now. And forced to be on meds for most of this time, too (against my will, although I'll never go back on them...ever!). All they did was give me horrible side effects.

When you don't have your health, it. is. absolute. HELL.

Here's an abstract about the link between CU and Hashimoto's:

Open Original Shared Link

I totally agree with you... chronic illness SUCKS. Autoimmune disorders are hard to diagnose, hard to treat, and impossible to cure... which can leave you feeling like you're either a piggybank for the drug companies or a complete nut job :angry: You have to be really proactive even when you don't feel like getting out of bed in the morning.

Back to your original question... gluten intolerance is a common problem in people with thyroid disorders, so if that runs in your family (it does in mine)... a gluten-free diet is definitely something to consider.

Desy Rookie
Here's an abstract about the link between CU and Hashimoto's:

Open Original Shared Link

I totally agree with you... chronic illness SUCKS. Autoimmune disorders are hard to diagnose, hard to treat, and impossible to cure... which can leave you feeling like you're either a piggybank for the drug companies or a complete nut job :angry: You have to be really proactive even when you don't feel like getting out of bed in the morning.

Back to your original question... gluten intolerance is a common problem in people with thyroid disorders, so if that runs in your family (it does in mine)... a gluten-free diet is definitely something to consider.

Thanks for the info. Yup, I should probably be a billionaire right now -- I should have had stocks in the drug companies).....I was a VIP member.

Going on the gluten diet.

samcarter Contributor

I have noticed my periods are worse when I've been eating dairy. If I am strict and eat no dairy for at least two weeks prior to my period (and I mean NO dairy, no casein or lactose), my periods are practically cramp-free and I have much less lethargy and PMS. However, dairy turns me into the Wicked Witch of the North. Yikes.

keacre Newbie

Although I knew that celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder, I didn't know about the mast cells being in the uterus. I don't have endometriosis. I'd really love to get the test, but I cannot afford it right now. I have been so sick that I have not been able to work in almost a year. Money is very tight. :( Believe me, I would if I could. I'm currently seeing a naturopath b/c my health has been so bad. That is extremely expensive, but it's finally giving me some answers after literally decades of being sick, & conventional Western medicine not helping me.

My other symptoms are:

EXTREME lethargy

insomnia

bloating

acne

gas

constipation

weight gain

depression

brain fog

anemia

DH

stomach upset

chronic fatigue

That's all I can remember @ the moment.

I have the same problems during that time of the month. Horrible cramps, very heavy flow, emotional roller coaster. I have gone on and off gluten for a year now, but this last month I have hardly any gluten and this last period was so much easier. Cramps only 1 day for a few hours and light and shorter flow. I would totally try eating gluten free for a week or two at least and see how you feel. The brain fog will go away, acne will get better, and your stomach will flatten. Almost all the symptoms went away for me. I also increase my vitamin B's and Calcium which is also supposed to help. I have also not been able to afford the test and since I haven't been eating gluten it will mostly come back negative anyway. Try it, you will be amazed how good you feel. Just being able to think clearly is worth it.

Desy Rookie
I have noticed my periods are worse when I've been eating dairy. If I am strict and eat no dairy for at least two weeks prior to my period (and I mean NO dairy, no casein or lactose), my periods are practically cramp-free and I have much less lethargy and PMS. However, dairy turns me into the Wicked Witch of the North. Yikes.

I have also noticed that my cramps are much worse with dairy. I only eat organic yogurt now (& the odd piece of cheese). I did eat some cheese (that I remember) during my period....but no yogurt. (???)

I wonder if it's all the hormones & steroids they give the cows that is affecting us when we eat dairy? That is very scary.

Desy Rookie
I have the same problems during that time of the month. Horrible cramps, very heavy flow, emotional roller coaster. I have gone on and off gluten for a year now, but this last month I have hardly any gluten and this last period was so much easier. Cramps only 1 day for a few hours and light and shorter flow. I would totally try eating gluten free for a week or two at least and see how you feel. The brain fog will go away, acne will get better, and your stomach will flatten. Almost all the symptoms went away for me. I also increase my vitamin B's and Calcium which is also supposed to help. I have also not been able to afford the test and since I haven't been eating gluten it will mostly come back negative anyway. Try it, you will be amazed how good you feel. Just being able to think clearly is worth it.

Yep. I'm attempting the gluten free diet now. It's brutally hard. I finished my cycle on Monday though, but still have brutal PMS cramps! And awful back cramps today too. I'm soooooooooo frustrated.

How long do you have to be gluten-free to notice a decrease in your symptoms? 1-2 weeks? Ugh, I'll do anything to have that. My fatigue is unreal.....sometimes I cannot even use the remote control for more than like 5 seconds without my hand & arm getting tired. Or I get exhausted just shampooing my hair while showering. What is that. That's ridiculous. This is NOT living. This is NOT normal.

Thanks for your post btw.

Archived