This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Doctor Thinks I Dont Have Celiac

Nadia2009

Nadia2009 Enthusiast

Hi everyone,

He says my blood tests to check if I have celiac is unconclusive and also he doesn't think I have celiac since I have no other deficiency than vitamin D. I am about 60 for vit D and the optimum is in the range 75-100. I told him I actually take vit D in supplement but it is also the end of winter. He thinks my symptoms like feeling depressed and nausea are from my vit D deficiency.

I asked him about other symptoms such as feeling fuzzy and my ORL symptoms as I am sure that is coming from either gluten or wheat. I have asthma symptoms, persistent unexplained coughing, chronic sinusitis and I am a mucosity making manufacture. I also have fatigue. I have very few digestion related symptoms such as heartburn...no diarhea or constipation except when I mistreat my body and over eat...it is rare but it happens if I am upset or depressed.

I wonder now if my problems are not from things like candida overgrowth or wheat allergy. I am going to consult a naturopathic doctor to have food allergy testest. Some of the symptoms that made me think I could have celiac are I always had less resistant teeth than all my family even though I am the one who never miss a check up or cleaning. I had some mineral deficiencies as a teen and young adult. I have a sensitive estomac that can get upset easily. I can vomit easily and I also have acid reflux. Usually the triggers for my acid reflux are I believe sugar, fat or pasta with tomato sauce, pastries etc. But I know how to control that after reading the book PH miracle and understanding about acid alkaline ph of food. Usually my estomac doesnt like too much fat or sugar and the association of both is worst. I always thought I just had too much acidity and I know that my teeth problems start in the estomach or somewhere in the digestive system. But then, lately I wondered if I couldn't also be celiac. It is interesting how wheat allergy, celiac disease and candida overgrowth have some commun symptoms.

My GP thinks I should take vit D for 2 months and then if I still have a deficiency, he may send me for the colonscopy. I have no vit B or iron deficiency. But I always take vit B I take vit B 50 complex all year long sometimes, I take B 100. I am also a conscious eater never fast food or pre-pakaged food. I eat all my veggies fresh no frozen or cans (or extremely rare).

My doctor is really a nice guy and he does listen to me even if I bombard him with questions and comments but for now he thinks I dont need a colonscopy. But he wanted to send me for a sleep study after I told him I know I had another study from many years ago. I told him forget the sleep apnea I already know I have it and being a woman with no thick neck and not being overweight, I think the only reason why I can stop breathing at night is the same reason why I have some asthma symptoms...my guess is that everything must be swollen inside my mouth after eating some food. I had my tonsils removed when I was 6 and all the time I was growing up I had all the "is" laryngitis, pharyngitis, sinusitis...you name it. I had loads of antibiotics while growing up...sadly it was the time doctors gave antibiotics for every cough and all they did was giving me stained teeth.

Anyway, I will stick around this forum and keep learning. I am glad I know the existence of celiac...I have never heard of it before this year but it is good to know even if after checking everything I don't have it. I like to be informed as we never know anybody can develop celiac and some statistics say 1/10 people has gluten intolerance (1/100 has celiac). Maybe I am among those who have the intolerance without the vili damage to be called celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Would you kindly post the lab results of your blood work for Celiac. I'm not sure what your doctor means by "inconclusive".

And welcome!

Nadia2009 Enthusiast
Would you kindly post the lab results of your blood work for Celiac. I'm not sure what your doctor means by "inconclusive".

And welcome!

No problem. I am going to see him on June 2nd and I will ask him a copy of the results. I forgot to do it the last time but he told me 2 out of the 3 tests were negative and the other one was higher.

Serversymptoms Contributor

Did you get a allergy test/ blood test also? If not, see if your doctor can do so. If your doctor cant, ask to be referred to a allergist.

• 2 weeks later...
Nadia2009 Enthusiast

My lab results are:

Gliadin Ab IgA

says result= 5

Gliadin Ab IgG

says attention

Units: KEU/L and Reference range is <20 for IgA and IgG.

Endomysial Antibodies is Negative

The last column is FN Loc and 70 is written on the line of Gliadin ab IgA

So tell me, what are they saying. I am OK except the IgG is a bit off?

lizard00 Enthusiast

It unfortunately appears that he did not run the full celiac panel.

IgG is not as specific to celiac as the IgA, but your elevated level does indicate something is going on.

It doesn't look like he ran the tTG tests (tissue-transglutaminase), which are pretty specific to celiac, or a total serum IgA which would indicate whether or not you have an IgA deficiency. If you are IgA deficient, all IgA based tests are pretty much worthless.

To comment on your symptoms, I did not have a lot of GI symptoms either. I was nauseaous... that was about it. My two most severe symptoms were headaches and fatigue. It was absolutely awful. A vit D deficiency is very common with celiac. Even after a year on the diet, I was low in vit D. You very well may be on to whatever is making you sick. Don't let the docs get you hung up on lack of GI symptoms, celiac has a symptom list that surpasses just GI problems.

If you are not gluten-free already, maybe you could have the doc do the complete celiac panel. It could prove to be more insightful.

Nadia2009 Enthusiast
It unfortunately appears that he did not run the full celiac panel.

IgG is not as specific to celiac as the IgA, but your elevated level does indicate something is going on.

It doesn't look like he ran the tTG tests (tissue-transglutaminase), which are pretty specific to celiac, or a total serum IgA which would indicate whether or not you have an IgA deficiency. If you are IgA deficient, all IgA based tests are pretty much worthless.

To comment on your symptoms, I did not have a lot of GI symptoms either. I was nauseaous... that was about it. My two most severe symptoms were headaches and fatigue. It was absolutely awful. A vit D deficiency is very common with celiac. Even after a year on the diet, I was low in vit D. You very well may be on to whatever is making you sick. Don't let the docs get you hung up on lack of GI symptoms, celiac has a symptom list that surpasses just GI problems.

If you are not gluten-free already, maybe you could have the doc do the complete celiac panel. It could prove to be more insightful.

So, what's the complete celiac panel? Would the tTG complete my test or I need even more? Please let me know what are the different tests in a complete panel. My doctor doesn't know much about celiac and he was checking on his computer before he prescribed the tests but he is willing to listen.

I am almost off gluten but it happens that I eat a little bit. I had a few bites of pita bread last week on Thursday and felt sick for 2 days. Also, had a breakfast containing some gluten and I noticed I noticed my estomac more than usual. Also, noticed that I felt full few hours after my lunch when I had a small lunch made of some soup and a fruit.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

Sorry I am having a bit of a life trauma at the moment, so I have decided to drink. So if may information is cloudy or my statistic is wrong ~ someone kindly correct it.

Some where about 30% of diagnosed Celiacs are IGA deficient. So the test for your total IGA is important to look at in the Celiac panel. If you do not have the normal IGA function, you can not have an elevated IGA.

Your GP should refer you to a gastroenterologist. The gastroenterologist will rerun the tests in most cases.

jerseyangel Proficient
So, what's the complete celiac panel?

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Total Serum IgA

Ask that they run the whole thing :)

Nadia2009 Enthusiast
Did you get a allergy test/ blood test also? If not, see if your doctor can do so. If your doctor cant, ask to be referred to a allergist.

Sorry for the late answer. I just saw your message. No, I didn't have allergy testing done but I am going to do it now. I have an appointment with a naturopathic doctor and my doctor want me to see an allergist but he doesn't know anyone who does food allergies so I just decided I should see a naturopathic doctor.

I have some other symptoms who aren't helping...making things more complicated. I told my doctor about a sleep study I had done many years ago and that showed a sleep apnea and these latest week, I feel breathless or need to bread loud (don't know how to say that better English isn't my first language). Last spring it was the same thing and my doctor sent me for a stress test EGC I believe and that came normal. He thought I just had some stress. I am 41 and it is the first time of my life I wondered hey maybe I have cardiovascular symptoms and I am not so much in best shape don't exercise regularly but I am pretty active don't drive walk often and take stairs I actually run on the stairs and tht's maybe not indicated I am not anymore 20. And I have a job that doesn't let me sit down much but that also could be a source of stress I am a teacher. So, now my doctor wants me to check for asthma. This is going to be the second time I am being checked for asthma in the last 5 years. I also have the equivalent of what you Americans call anxiety attack. He also want me to take a sleep study but I think the reason why I had have sleep apnea is wheat or gluten which are clogging my respiratory organs. One thing that is clear for me is that there is a clear incicidence of the food containing wheat or gluten on my breathing and ORL symptoms.

So, now my doctor is concerned with the asthma symptoms and I have many other things to think about like my blood circulation. My feet and legs are so cold that they hurt and I can't just go sleep without trying to bring them to life. I am thinking I might have Raynaud syndrom.

It is funny how I didn't want to see a naturopathic doctor before when a friend of mine suggested. I thought she needed (she had diabetes while being pregnant and after her baby) because she didn't know much about nutrition and that I had read enough books on nutrition and natural medicine that I didnt need any special doctor! :lol:

Nadia2009 Enthusiast
Sorry I am having a bit of a life trauma at the moment, so I have decided to drink. So if may information is cloudy or my statistic is wrong ~ someone kindly correct it.

Some where about 30% of diagnosed Celiacs are IGA deficient. So the test for your total IGA is important to look at in the Celiac panel. If you do not have the normal IGA function, you can not have an elevated IGA.

Your GP should refer you to a gastroenterologist. The gastroenterologist will rerun the tests in most cases.

No problem and sorry to hear you are having a life trauma. Hope things will be alright soon.

Thank you but didn't get what you said as I am not familiar with all the test names. They are many IGAs which one are you talking about? On the 3 tests I did my IGA is 5 and the normal range says <20.

Nadia2009 Enthusiast
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG

Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA

Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA

Total Serum IgA

Ask that they run the whole thing :)

Should I do the whole thing or just do the ones that were missing like the Anti-tissue Transglutaminase?

Archived