This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

So Far So Good In India

kenlove

kenlove Rising Star

SO far i've not had any problem avoiding gluten and a surprising number of people and places are aware of it. In small mall shops and coffee joints in Bangalore.

Many places also will head into the kitchen if they are not sure.

The Taj West End Hotel here is one of the best places I've ever stayed at. They feature gluten-free

breads on the buffet as well as make a number of gluten-free and sugar free desserts. Have not had any yet since the carbs are still an issue but overall i'm impressed.

One thing I had which I wish I could agin was ragi roti. Ragi is a type of red millet here and roti a small round bread. One of the best tasting things I had but at 72% carbohydrates

I could only try it once.

Next week i'm off to the jungles for the 2nd time. The foods during the first 3 day trek were just great.

Ken

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

Almost forgot-- you can go into almost any market, large or small and buy

the roti mentioned aboutr, amaranth flour, chana or chick pea flour, dal or split pea flour and a numjber of other things I cant remember.

basmati flour or japonic rice flour or brown rice flour -- bunchs of choices!

ken

jerseyangel Proficient

Wow--that sounds amazing, Ken! Glad you checked in :D

Safe travels!!

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Sounds great!

kenlove Rising Star

Thansk much--

got to a grocery store today although didnt buy anything since I'm still here for awhile.

the flours they had on the shelves are amazing..

will have to send a bunch of this stuff back!

ken

lizard00 Enthusiast

Ken, as usual I am jealous of your culinary travels!!!

Are you there for work or vacation? Either way, enjoy it!!

kenlove Rising Star

Thanks --

wish I could travel for fun more often but I always have fun-- working on a project to survey coffee drinkers in South India on their knowledge about other types of world coffees. I'm somewhat surprised at how good some of the INdia coffee is and have to wonder why its not found more in the states.

been eating these little roti breads they make from the ground chick peas. These things are great and do not cause my blood surgar to skyrocket.. The ragi or red millet did cause it.

Maybe I dont want to know the carbs in these things

Ken, as usual I am jealous of your culinary travels!!!

Are you there for work or vacation? Either way, enjoy it!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Feel free to send us samples!

kenlove Rising Star

Wish I could

this has to be the easiest place I've been to to be comfortable ordering gluten free meals.

I have to wonder if its becasue there are so many religous sects with dietary laws and requirments that even cross contamination is not an issue.

Some small palces after two fryers so the pork is kept away from other foods.

May not apply to use but I watched one street stall guy use a wire brush to clean the grill before we made the chick pea bread for someone else --

Best spinach I've ever had here too.

Have to come back in October and hope I can get some cooking lessons then!

take care

Feel free to send us samples!
amber Explorer

Very interesting. I am not surprised that you are finding it easy to get gluten-free indian food as so much of their cuisine is naturally gluten free. We often go to our local indian restaurant here knowing that almost everything is gluten-free. It is good to hear that the awareness is there also which I am surprised about.

Have you dried a Dhosa? It is made of lentil and chickpea flour I think. It is only in certain regions though. It is like a huge pancake which has various fillings. We get the ones with curried potato and they are delicious.

Good luck on your travels.

psawyer Proficient

Hi, everybody.

Ken is currently having trouble getting on the board from where he is in India.

We are working on the problem, but it may take some time. It is possible that he will not be able to access the board until he returns to the US on June 16th. We are in touch and he asked me to let people know what is up.

Peter, for Ken.

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks for letting us know, Peter. :)

kenlove Rising Star

Hi Amber

your so much of the food is naturally glutenfree. We lived near the indian section of chicago for many years and have always enjoyed the foods -- nice to know I still can without naan!

Dosa's are wonderfil but with the celiac and diabetes I tend to not have the carbs.

My friends have made some from dry jackfruit flower with about 1/10th rice flour which are just fantastic. The dosas from chickpea -- Chana are good too and less carbs than rice or ragi ( red millet) - The roti, another small bread like pancake is great too.

Ken

Very interesting. I am not surprised that you are finding it easy to get gluten-free indian food as so much of their cuisine is naturally gluten free. We often go to our local indian restaurant here knowing that almost everything is gluten-free. It is good to hear that the awareness is there also which I am surprised about.

Have you dried a Dhosa? It is made of lentil and chickpea flour I think. It is only in certain regions though. It is like a huge pancake which has various fillings. We get the ones with curried potato and they are delicious.

Good luck on your travels.

kenlove Rising Star

Thanks Peter--

You and Scott worked some magic so I could get back on the forum and not suffer major withdrawal symptoms.

Ken

Hi, everybody.

Ken is currently having trouble getting on the board from where he is in India.

We are working on the problem, but it may take some time. It is possible that he will not be able to access the board until he returns to the US on June 16th. We are in touch and he asked me to let people know what is up.

Peter, for Ken.

kenlove Rising Star

things still going great in India -- not glutened once so far!

the flaT BREADS MADE WITH jackfruit seed flour are by far the best.

You can see pictures of this and other gluten-free foods in india on my facebook page.

(hope thats allowed to be mentioned) -- the other jackfruit processed products are great too. went to a festival for them last weekend.

anyway the chickpea flour is great too. Since i have to watch the diabetes IVE LIMITED the carbs -- but love the panner and spinach and other veggies here.

NO flour in any of the curries either.

Maybe the biggest thing for me is that I had fresh made butter for the first time. I mean I'll be 57 on the 10th and this was the first time to have fresh buttermilk and butter!

totally amazed aT THE flaVOR WITH NO CHECMICALS AND fillers.

not like buttermilk in hawaii which they put wheat in to thicken. this is 100% natural -- what an amazing flavor!

at 4 am i have to leave for the far north.. takes about 28 hours to get to the base of everest.

take care -- and you guys in the no smoking thread -- =NO SMOKINg <G>!

Archived