This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Curious If This Happens To You

JBaby

JBaby Enthusiast

When you eat gluten food and then eat non-gluten food do you get nauseated? I was bad and had a hot dog with the bun and fried onion rings last night after workout. brief headache afterwards and some tummy discomfort. I ate a gluten free donut this morning and now feel nauseated and some pain on side of abdomen. Is this normal? Seems like last nights dinner is still sitting there and its fighting with the donut. I haveseen a patern where if i eat gluten and then eat non gluten some time after I get nauseated.

JBaby

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

koz Newbie

I find that it takes a while for the gluten food to get through my system. Typically, if I eat something I shouldn't for dinner then after lunch the next day it hits me. I don't think it matters what it is that I eat next. This threw me off for years becaues I always blamed what I ate for lunch as the item that made me sick but now I know better, it's the gluten, it just takes longer than you think to get digested. In my body that's how it works at least.

I also find that I probably wasn't that hungry for lunch that day. For me that's a bad sign, could mean that gluten is already planning it's exit.

Hope that helps.

When you eat gluten food and then eat non-gluten food do you get nauseated? I was bad and had a hot dog with the bun and fried onion rings last night after workout. brief headache afterwards and some tummy discomfort. I ate a gluten free donut this morning and now feel nauseated and some pain on side of abdomen. Is this normal? Seems like last nights dinner is still sitting there and its fighting with the donut. I haveseen a patern where if i eat gluten and then eat non gluten some time after I get nauseated.

JBaby

Lau3turtle Newbie

I was "glutened" about 3 weeks ago and I am still experiencing discomfort in my abdomen after I eat. I think inflammation and damage to the villi are reasons why I am in pain, not the food I have eaten since.

Since I first went gluten-free I have never purposefully eaten anything that contains gluten, so I do not really know what happens when I eat a gluten food and then a non-gluten food like a donut. If I get glutened I make sure I eat easy to digest foods, since I'll have a stomachache anyways. But I know of no reason why gluten and non-gluten food would react to each other and cause someone discomfort. I would think the discomfort is caused by the damage that has been done and is being done.

rmmadden Contributor

I've always seen a delay in symptoms as I think the food gets pushed thru your body everytime you eat something. I might even see a good-day where I feel fine followed-up by the bloating / pains / brain-fog / big-D. I also agree that the inflamation lingers even though you are eating gluten-free. It just takes a while for your body to process the offending foods thru your systems and restore itself.

Best of Luck!

Cleveland Bob B)

samcarter Contributor

If I get glutened, I get the neurological symptoms almost right away--within an hour--headache, usually, and lethargy.

The digestive symptoms happen the next day. There's always a delay. Before, when I was "testing" myself with a gluten challenge, if I ate a piece of bread, I'd get nauseated within a couple of hours and throw up. But if the gluten is sneaky, like barley malt sweetener, it hits much later, the next day.

Takala Enthusiast

No, but I felt a little queasy reading

hot dog on bun with fried onion rings
:blink:

I might have to get some ginger to cope....

Archived