Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anonymical7

Since Going Gluten Free! Going- Gone....

I just wanted to report in and say despite me not being tested I have witnessed a miracle since going gluten free!

1. Acid Reflux/Heart Burn- Gone
  2. Dark Circles under my eyes- Gone
  3. Bleeding from the end...- Gone
  4. Extreme Fatigue- Going (I can now go out more easily and dont feel like only one outing in a few days is the max)
  5. Irritable Stomach-Gone
  6. Uh, gas problems-Gone
  7. Mind fog- Going/Gone
  8. Skin Appears Healthier according to my wife.
  9. When experiencing hunger it appears to feel like what normal hunger must feel like. I used to always feel starving.

Now, all that is good, but changing to a gluten free diet has been challenging. I keep having to go out for dinner since I am an artist. There are business meetings, dinners after openings....it seems restraunts are the most dangerous, they just aren't careful enough. I have twice been struck with some ingredient they did not see. Or they were lazy, used the same pan etc... but luckily its never as bad as eating something straight up wheat based.

I just wanted to report in and say despite me not being tested I have witnessed a miracle since going gluten free!

4. Extreme Fatigue- Going (I can now go out more easily and dont feel like only one outing in a few days is the max)
  6. Uh, gas problems-Gone
  7. Mind fog- Going/Gone
  9. When experiencing hunger it appears to feel like what normal hunger must feel like. I used to always feel starving.

Now, all that is good, but changing to a gluten free diet has been challenging. I keep having to go out for dinner since I am an artist. There are business meetings, dinners after openings....it seems restraunts are the most dangerous, they just aren't careful enough. I have twice been struck with some ingredient they did not see. Or they were lazy, used the same pan etc... but luckily its never as bad as eating something straight up wheat based.

Congrats on your good progress! You'll notice your symptoms will disappear even more when you eliminate completely everything gluten (including toiletry products). I, too, am an artist. What kind of paints do you use? I use oil (Gamblin, Williamsburg) and acrylics (Liquitex) and am praying that they are gluten free, so I don't have to buy all new colors (How expensive that would be!). Have you heard whether or not paints should be of worry?

That's great news!

I'm awaiting blood tests to find out if I have it. The scope wasn't conclusive.

Can you describe what your mind fog felt like? That seems to be my main symptom.

Thanks

6. Uh, gas problems-Gone
  7. Mind fog- Going/Gone

I'm also interested in the last item on your list. I have been having this symptom now for a few months. Blood test will be back tomorrow confirming celiac or not. I actually hope its positve . Tired of feeling crappy all the time. I havent started gluten diet yet.

I'm also interested in the last item on your list. I have been having this symptom now for a few months. Blood test will be back tomorrow confirming celiac or not. I actually hope its positve . Tired of feeling crappy all the time. I havent started gluten diet yet.

Keep us updated on your results! I understand your hopes that the results will actually be positive--so you can have a final answer.

Hi All,

The mind fog was like a cobweb sitting over my brain. I would have trouble processing information, and seemed strangely enough to focus more in my immediate area visually. Like I was struggling to just get around. Thats been strange being off gluten, its as if I can see further, but its simply a clearer head I think. I was diagnosed with ADD, and thats still there but feels different than before.

Imagine hearing a highpitched whine all the time, it blocks out information around you from coming in because you are pre-occupied. But this you dont hear but you can imagine then its just the effects of being one step removed from being clear or seeing/hearing clearly. You are being poisoned.

Thats the best I can describe it.

As for paints I use all kinds but oil paints. I use gloves and have a fan in my studio for exhaust, have never had problems with checmicals except some of the super glues or resins for casting. But I dont use those anymore...

I use oil (Gamblin, Williamsburg) and acrylics (Liquitex) and am praying that they are gluten free, so I don't have to buy all new colors (How expensive that would be!). Have you heard whether or not paints should be of worry?

The paints you are using should be okay. However I would contact the companies directly and ask if there are any gluten based ingredients. I have not had any issues myself with acrylic based but haven't used oil paints in a while. The biggest risk paint wise is the tempra paints as far as I know. Paints that are marketed as nontoxic are most likely to use a possible wheat based thickener. Also the NIH has a website for nonfood items and their ingredients. I have been able to get info on gluten based ingredients for some items but they are far from all inclusive.

Addressing Testing, just FYI, If I had to do it over again I would be tested, however I dont dare to eat any gluten again based on my reactions. Its just too terrible to go back.

But I am loving life being off it. :D

And uh, my wife is much happier too knowing I am not always in a stupor and more alert!

Addressing Testing, just FYI, If I had to do it over again I would be tested, however I dont dare to eat any gluten again based on my reactions. Its just too terrible to go back.

But I am loving life being off it. :D

And uh, my wife is much happier too knowing I am not always in a stupor and more alert!

I am so glad you are doing so well off it and that is often the most reliable 'test' there is. There is a high risk for false negatives on both blood and biopsy procedures which lead to my being almost dead before I was finally diagnosed. There can also be concerns with insurance for some with a formal celiac diagnosis. All in all being self diagnosed is not is a bad thing. You may want to talk to your doctor if not having a diagnosis is troubling to you. Some will diagnose with gluten intolerance or sensitivity based on the relief of problems on the diet. If you are concerned with difficulties with insuring that your meds and diet restrictions if hospitalized may not be observed without a formal diagnosis the note on your being gluten intolerant on your record will insure that those precautions are observed.