This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Bread-in-a-bowl Microwaveable Recipes

Pegleg84

Pegleg84 Collaborator

Okay, someone recently posted an excellent recipe for a Bun in a Bowl, a recipe for a single "bun" sized bread that you can mix up in a microwave safe dish and nuke for a couple minutes. I tried the recipe this morning, and it was amazing! The best gluten-free thing I've had in ages! Now I see that there are many variations cropping up. These are great for people like me who are cooking for themselves or may not have the time and energy or means to bake the conventional way (great for people stuck in dorm rooms, etc).

So, if you have a bread-in-a-bowl recipe, post it here. It's also a great way to experiment with flours and flavours. Get creative and share your ideas.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RDR Apprentice
Okay, someone recently posted an excellent recipe for a Bun in a Bowl, a recipe for a single "bun" sized bread that you can mix up in a microwave safe dish and nuke for a couple minutes. I tried the recipe this morning, and it was amazing! The best gluten-free thing I've had in ages! Now I see that there are many variations cropping up. These are great for people like me who are cooking for themselves or may not have the time and energy or means to bake the conventional way (great for people stuck in dorm rooms, etc).

So, if you have a bread-in-a-bowl recipe, post it here. It's also a great way to experiment with flours and flavours. Get creative and share your ideas.

I took the recipe posted and doubled it changing the types of flour around, then added spices.

2 large egg

3 Tbs. potato starch flour

1 Tbs. tapioca starch flour

1 Tbs. almond meal

3 Tbs. golden flax meal

1 tsp. baking powder

1-1/2 tsp. sugar

Salt, black pepper, ground red pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, italian spices to taste (I just use 2-3 shakes of each.

Spray a dish (or any baking dish that will yield a hamburger bun sized "loaf") with non stick spray or rub down with butter or oil (I use olive oil). Crack eggs into dish and stir with a fork until it's well mixed. Add all other ingredients and stir well. Cook in microwave on 80% power for 2 minutes 40 seconds.

If I plan on using it for something soggy like a meatball sub or cheese steak I slice it in half after its cooled, lightly butter it and put it under the broiler (hi power) for 3-6 minutes (whenever it starts to brown/crisp up on the edges. These are great for English muffin style pizzas too.

nasalady Contributor

Just for those who may not know where to find the original recipe:

Liz's Gluten Free Microwave "Buns" (as originally posted)

Ingredients:

1 large egg

2 Tbs. brown rice flour or sorghum flour

1 Tbs. almond meal

1 Tbs. golden flax meal

1/2 tsp. baking powder

3/4 tsp. sugar (or one packet Splenda or other artificial sweetener)

1/2 tsp. cocoa powder (just for color, you can omit this)

shake of salt

Directions:

Spray a custard dish (or any baking dish that will yield a hamburger bun sized "loaf") with non-stick spray. Crack egg into dish and stir with a fork until it's well beaten. Add all other ingredients and stir until very well mixed. Cook in microwave on high for 90 seconds. You may have to loosen around the edges with a butter knife. The result is dense but reminds me a little of whole wheat bread. It is fairly low carb, especially made with sorghum flour.

NOTE: best dish to cook in is a 6-inch cereal bowl or soup mug with fairly

straight sides. If you mix up about 8 servings worth or more of the mix in a Ziploc bag, you can make this quickly with one egg and 1/4 C of bun mix per bun. Makes a great sandwich roll!

NOTE: can be made with sorghum flour instead of brown rice flour.

lowest-carb version:

1 Egg, 2 Tbs. Almond Meal, 2 Tbs. Flax Meal, 1/2 tsp baking powder and a shake of salt. Make it the same way. Total carbs ~ 2-3 g? Brown rice version is about 12 g, sorghum version about 9 g.

Pegleg84 Collaborator

The italian bun recipe sounds delicious!

For the regular recipe, I've been substituting the cocoa powder for cinnamon, and using brown rice flour. I also tried putting raisins in it. To me its like a muffin or something.

however, I find it comes out a little dry if you don't want to use it for a hamburger bun type thing.

could you add a little oil or margarine or something??

• 1 month later...
kristy1129 Newbie

Any more recipes? Preferably something with few ingredients and simple! lol

Juliebove Rising Star

This is not my recipe. I got it off of the celiac newsgroup. I have made it a couple of times. Came out well. I added a tiny bit of olive oil to it.

"Hi All

It's been quite a while since iI posted but I just had to post a very

simple delicous bread recipe I have developed. Like my mother used to

say "necessity is the mother of invention". We travel a lot for Ken's

work these days and I was forever running out of bread. Then I

developed an allergy to yeast and eggs and that blew all my gluten-free recipes

out of the water for me so I began to experiment with a baking powder

recipe called "lazy man's bread." I found most rice breads have a

tendency to rise beautifully and then drop just before they are done.

I decided to try my own version of this recipe in the microwave

reasoning that since the bread always drops when almost cooked the

microwave might fix this and it worked really well. The recipe I

developed works really well in the corningware plain open stock bowls.

A large soup bowl (not the ceral bowls that come in the sets) makes a

small loaf and two rice bowls can be used instead for buns. I use the

rice flours from the Asian isle in the supermarket. My brand is Ivory

brand and since it is imported from Thailand it is not likely to be

cross sontaminated with wheat flour. The secret to the nice texture is

the sweet rice flour AKA glutenous or sweet rice flour.

Here is my recipe:

Microwave Rice Bread

1/2 cup rice flour

1 heaping teaspoon glutenous rice flour (also called sticky rice flour

and yes it glutten is free even though the name implies

otherwise)

1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt (according to taste)

1 tbsp baking powder

1/2 cup soda water ot carbonated spring water

If I am baking this in the bigger bowl I just put dry ingredients in

the bowl and mix them then I mix in the carbonated water and put it in

the mocrowave immediately for 3 minutes and in a total of 5 minutes

or less I have a soft delicious loaf of bread. This is best eaten

fresh but it is so simple I don't mind baking one whenever I am hungry

for bread. It also makes a delicious hamburger bun it you bake it in

two rice bowls instead.

I have also addapted this recipe to a strawberry shortcake by adding a

bit of sugar (about 1 tbsp) and vanilla. It can also take a bit of

margarine added to it to make it richer. I just go a bit heavy on the