This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Often Do You Get Glutened?

Crayons574

Crayons574 Contributor

On average, how often do you get glutened? (This includes being careful about CC, etc.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NorthernElf Enthusiast

These days I am so careful that I rarely get glutened. However, once in awhile - probably every few months or so - I get hit. I do live in a gluten household, although I have specific counters and cookware for myself. Sometimes I don't realize I've been hit until a couple of days afterwards. I'm just getting over a glutening right now. My symptoms were extreme fatigue, extreme crabbiness :angry: (I just wanted to be left alone), a night of stomach cramps (should have been the tip off), and some bathroom issues. :P I am a fitness instructor and I almost passed out in one of my classes - got very light headed and had to stop moving for a few minutes and just tell the class what to do. Never happened to me before !

One of two things got me - I made my chocolate chip cookies with M&M baking bits (safe) and Great Value brand butterscotch chips...might have been the GV chips but they usually say gluten in the ingredients if there is any. More likely the culprit was the hard candy I nibbled on at work...it was hommade and looked to be all sugar but was probably made in a gluteny pan. Those kind of risks are what usually get me - I usually avoid anything homemade unless I made it. I am usually super careful - my downfall is when I am hungry. I never intentionally gluten myself - it's so not worth it. I guess one should assume nothing is safe unless it is labelled gluten-free or confirmed gluten-free online.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Once or twice a year, usually from contamination at a restaurant (though I got out to eat more like once a month).

LDJofDenver Apprentice

I'm kind of like NorthernElf -- I'm careful, but something sneaks in and gets me every couple of months. Usually not at home, as we're pretty on top of things in the homestead (I'm gluten free, my husband is not). Last time was at a friend's house, she was sure she made something "safe" (a crock pot dish with rice, chicken, squash and other vegetables). Either was some spice she used, or brand of chicken broth, or perhaps she'd previously made something with flour or pasta in the crock pot and traces remained. Oh well, I took the risk - and didn't want to scrutinize every container and spice bottle she used - so I paid the piper. Time before that was at a restaurant that reportedly had a gluten free menu -- something obviously cross-contaminated in the kitchen or handling.

I'm pretty careful, but in spite of that it happens once in a while. I guess if we never ate out anywhere or at anyone's house I could eliminate even that but, hey, you've got to live. For all the times we eat out, contamination really is a pretty rare occurrence.

lizard00 Enthusiast

My last glutening was a couple of months ago from a restaurant... which is usually where it happens. Our house isn't totally gluten-free, but anything that has gluten is prepackaged. Nothing that has gluten in it gets cooked here. That significantly cuts down the risk off CC.

maile Newbie

right now, too often. I also live in a mixed household and am careful but occasionally get glutened. I'm not sure what did it this time, but this week was horrible, D, bloating, cramps, nauseau, cranky, anxious. I cut down to rice and vegetables for 2 days to try and clear my system, think I'll go another couple of days <_<

plus I also found out there's a good chance that this drug I take for cystic acne is NOT gluten free in the 100mg size...annoying

oceangirl Collaborator

More often than I'd like-probably once or twice every two months. Often I cannot trace the culprit but I think it might be linked to the rare occasions my spousal equivalent eats gluten.(He usually doesn't) He is incredibly careful, brushes and flosses afterward, but I think that cakes or cookies or bread is difficult to free yourself of somehow. To speak plainly, if we are intimate after he's eaten gluten, there is a strong correlation in a glutening- excellent incentive for him to avoid it.

We live in a gluten-free house, RARELY eat out and make almost all our food from whole ingredients so it is frustrating at times. I will add that I am HIGHLY sensitive which will teach me to have silently scoffed at the thought of such miniscule (sp?) CC when I was first diagnosed. I still keep a food log and that is still helpful at times. I HATE gluten- it scares me because the symptoms are so intense and persistent.

lisa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

More often than I care to admit at this stage of the game. :ph34r:

Seriously though, it is usually when I am careless in reading a package, want an item so bad that I don't check on 'natural flavors' before I eat it or when I eat something that is 'processed on a shared line with...' (those don't get me all the time so it's like playing roulette). So a lot depends on how much processed foods I have been eating.

peacebwu Rookie

These days I am so careful that I rarely get glutened. However, once in awhile - probably every few months or so - I get hit. I do live in a gluten household, although I have specific counters and cookware for myself. Sometimes I don't realize I've been hit until a couple of days afterwards. I'm just getting over a glutening right now. My symptoms were extreme fatigue, extreme crabbiness :angry: (I just wanted to be left alone), a night of stomach cramps (should have been the tip off), and some bathroom issues. :P I am a fitness instructor and I almost passed out in one of my classes - got very light headed and had to stop moving for a few minutes and just tell the class what to do. Never happened to me before !

One of two things got me - I made my chocolate chip cookies with M&M baking bits (safe) and Great Value brand butterscotch chips...might have been the GV chips but they usually say gluten in the ingredients if there is any. More likely the culprit was the hard candy I nibbled on at work...it was hommade and looked to be all sugar but was probably made in a gluteny pan. Those kind of risks are what usually get me - I usually avoid anything homemade unless I made it. I am usually super careful - my downfall is when I am hungry. I never intentionally gluten myself - it's so not worth it. I guess one should assume nothing is safe unless it is labelled gluten-free or confirmed gluten-free online.

peacebwu Rookie

Fairly new to this, from your post it sounds like you really know what your doing on the "what to eat" end.....can you give us all a list of what you eat each da/week...or some ideas???? Anyone else have any suggestions on eating what?????? Just trying to find something that agrees??? Thanks! d

WW340 Rookie

I rarely ever get glutened anymore. If I do it is from eating in an unfamiliar restaurant, which I totally try to avoid. I know which restaurants I can trust locally, and they know me. I cook everything fresh at home, and my family eats what I cook. They have their bread, crackers and cereal, but that is it. I take food with me to friend and family gatherings, so I don't have to worry about eating there.

mattathayde Apprentice

at home basically never (any issue i have seems to be from other stuff), at school (in my own apartment) i get sick more often but i am not sure if its really gluten or just stress and other sensitivities (i eat a lot of peppers and onions at school and i think i am going to try to lay off them when i go back). when i eat out, i have probably a 10% rate with it but i also have other stuff i think that causes me illness.

my symptoms are so unspecific its hard to tell (lower GI issues) and if i have eaten gluten more than once i get a little bit of brain fog and slight depression

ive been home for a month from school and the only time ive been glutened was after going to outback i think

-matt

chatycady Explorer
Fairly new to this, from your post it sounds like you really know what your doing on the "what to eat" end.....can you give us all a list of what you eat each da/week...or some ideas???? Anyone else have any suggestions on eating what?????? Just trying to find something that agrees??? Thanks! d

Here is what I eat. I haven't been glutened in a year or more.

eggs boiled, poached or scramble in butter - no milk.

all fresh or frozen fruit without sugar or syrup.

home made yogurt with honey.

pork steak, chops or roast

beef roast, steak or hamburger

chicken - be careful - chicken is tricky as it's injected with "stuff" (gluten?)

orange roughy - my favorite fish

shrimp

all fresh and frozen veggies, except potatos sweet and regular, and yams(too starchy)

fresh baked goodies made with almond flour only.

olives, pickles, carrots, celery, - satisfies me when I get the munchies.

Does that give you some ideas? It's all regular food and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, except the almond flour. It's not cheap.

I pretty much shop on the outside asiles of the grocery store. Produce, meat, dairy aisles is where I hang out! I do drink a diet 7-up once in awhile. The key to this gluten free diet is to stock up on food you can eat. If you have something handy you might not feel sorry for yourself and say "There is nothing here for me to eat!" Boo Hoo! It works for me.

Hope this is helpful. Remember it's only food! No big deal.

Archived