This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gain Weight Or Lose On Gluten Free?

Raynee

Raynee Rookie

Do people tend to lose weight after starting a gluten free diet????

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Caseysmommy Apprentice
Do people tend to lose weight after starting a gluten free diet????

I personally lost 45 pounds since Dec. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Angie

CMG Rookie

I was thin to begin with; not unhealthy but within range for my height. I gained about 10 pounds within the first 2 months gluten free. I assume, in part, because my body is absorbing nutrition better now. But also, I think a lot of gluten free baked goods contain more fat and less fiber than their gluten counterparts. Since I figured that out, I'm more conscious of portion control and am beginning -with great effort - to lose the weight that I gained.

mamaesq Rookie
I personally lost 45 pounds since Dec. Not sure if this is normal or not.

Angie

I've lost about 30 lbs since October, I read in Gluten Free for Dummies that overweight celiacs tend to lose and underweight celiacs tend to gain. It makes sense...

coltsfan18 Rookie

I am 5'4" and a half (the half is always important!) and weighed about 128 before going gluten free, and have gained about 4 lbs since I've changed my diet. I am eating less and am hungry less, I am just absorbing more of my food!

I think is just depends on where you begin.

chatycady Explorer

I'm only 5' 4" ( no 1/2" - bummer) and I weighed around 135 before gluten free. I lost 12 lbs and weight 122. I have lost the cellulite and fat, and added muscle. I'm 53 and don't have the extra fat baaround my middle. I feel good, but think I maY be too thin.

mattathayde Apprentice

it just depends. i was 5'7" 185 and am now just under 160 after being gluten-free for a while, lost about 20 lbs in 2 months.

i am 99% sure my dad has celiac (untested and is a stress eater that travels for a stressful job so i cant convince him to truly go gluten-free yet) and he is really over weight (5'10" and about 245)

this is a generalization but from what ive seen it seems like those that are under weight have a lot of other issues going on that compound the issues

-matt

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

I think I have stayed about the same, but I am less swelled up and puffy so it may be a little weight loss actually. My face, ankles, feet used to be swelled up before gluten-free.

*Daniella* Apprentice

I lost weight. I'm 5'2" and weighed 113lbs before going gluten free. I'm now 105 lbs. I am desperately trying to gain some weight back. I'm getting to skinny.

GlutenGuy36 Contributor

Hi, My name is Ted. I was diagnosed July 14th of 2008. After being on the Gluten Free diet I have lost 25 pounds. I was 223 pounds and now I am 198 pounds. I am 6ft 2in. tall. I was scared myself at all of the weight I lost but, realized that I'm not eating as may foods that have gluten in them which seem to be worse for your body in terms of nutrition anyway. I eat alot of fruit, vegetables and protein.

My Gastro enterologist said he wanted me to lose another ten pounds but at 6ft 2, I don't thing I need to.

greeneyes33 Newbie

I gained weight. About 20 lbs. I was about 30 lbs overweight when I was diagnosed, and then it just continuted to go up. I've been stable for a few months now, so I'm hoping its going to start to go in the downward direction

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - Suzi374 replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

2. - Suzi374 posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

3. - Peace lily posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Would like to gain weight

4. - Smith-Ronald replied to Soleihey's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lymph nodes

5. - Bayb replied to Bayb's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Trying to read my lab results

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Suzi374
    Newest Member
    Suzi374
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Suzi374
      And I’m anaemic, however I’m also female and vegetarian. I had an iron trans a couple of years ago however it’s starting to dwindle and taking supplements doesn’t seem to work. I can’t seem to absorb it. 
    • Suzi374
      Hi, I attended a neurologist appt last Tuesday, which I nearly cancelled, due to ongoing numbness and tingling in toes to mid foot. One of the first things he asked was ‘are you celiac’. I’m not. He thought all reflexes were ok but at the last minute decided on nerve conduction tests which were low normal. He was a little confused as he felt they should be better and tried a new set of probs, all the time, giving me multiple shocks which were not enjoyable lol. Anyway, he’s now ordered tests for myeloma, and all the vitaminy things that so many of you mention on here, also tests looking for autoimmune responses. I already have Hashimotos. Interestingly, to me, but maybe someone out there can relate or knows more than i do, although I was a nurse, but ED not ‘weird symptoms’  nurse. Anyway back to the interesting thing, I took duramine in 2013 to lose weight which caused a massive panic attack when I stopped taking it and half my hair fell out. I only took it for a week but it was horrible and I regret it. It triggered ongoing panic attacks which are horrendous. So I feel like I’m a bit crazy. Then in 2020 I had this sudden onset of horrible pain when trying to eat a cinnamon roll. It continued and I lost around 20 kgs. I had two gastroscopes and a colonoscopy and they were all normal. I scored a barium swallow and CT angiogram. All normal. The pain subsided a little but I was left with reflux and an awful feeling that I couldn’t get air when I ate some foods. This was not anxiety.  The anxiety was separate and I still maintain this. This was something to do with eating. It was like the air was thick but I wasn’t short of breath. I just had the sensation I was, then it triggered anxiety. Anyway, I had other weird things- couldn’t bend knees to shave legs in shower lol. Knees felt stiff and swollen but they weren’t. Knee WOUld swell up randomly but mri showed minimal issues. A bit of a meniscus degeneration but insignificant. Then the buzzing sensations in my head, the feeling like someone was stabbing me with something sharp. So now, I pre empted his tests, although I don’t think I’m celiac because it should have come up on gastroscopy, I’ve gone off gluten. Since Tuesday last week so 9 days. Since then I don’t appear to be as constipated, I realised I got through today without a nap and I’m not tired, maybe it’s just today and not related but I get very tired normally and sleep straight after work often, I can bend my knees and shave my legs lol, the buzzing vibrating has gone from my head, I had to call and ambulance as my heart decided we were off on a run, but we weren’t running and I’ve been a bit twitchy at bed time when trying to sleep, reflux is improving, I did get the weird suffocating feeling a bit when eating today but not as bad normall. Tingling and numbness still present and I felt like it moved up my legs a bit today but I’m a bit jittery. So I don’t know if it’s celiac disease or a gluten intolerance but I think, and it may be wishful thinking because my symptoms do make life a bit challenging, but maybe I’m feeling better. I don’t feel as cloudy. My thinking feels crisper. Like there’s no buzzing and I’m not fighting to break through the cloudiness now. I hope so much that this may help me feel a bit better moving forward. It would be a miracle as I really have struggled to work and parent and keep the house clean and I’m always anxious and exhausted.  If you get this far, please tell me if you you can relate to any of the above. Oh and tonsils out 5 years ago but before that antibiotics multiple times a year, sometimes intramuscular because they were so bad.  Op was meant to take 30 mins, it took 1.5 hours due to size of them. 
    • Peace lily
      Im still not gaining weight I’m on a gluten free diet . And still having issues with constapation started priobiocs figured it would help been over two weeks . I guess it’s going to be a long road for me .
    • Smith-Ronald
      Enlarged lymph nodes in neck and groin with celiac are not uncommon. They can take time to reduce even after going gluten-free. Monitoring is key.
    • Bayb
      Hi Scott, yes I have had symptoms for years and this is the second GI I have seen and he could not believe I have never been tested. He called later today and I am scheduled for an endoscopy. Is there a way to tell how severe my potential celiac is from the results above? What are the chances I will have the biopsy and come back negative and we have to keep searching for a cause?