Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

catatonic

Is There A Potato Starch Flour Substitute?

My son is allergic to corn and cannot tolerate potatoes. I like the Bette Hagman mixes because they're easy to use. Swapping corn starch for arrowroot starch is easy. But what can I use instead of the potato starch flour? I like the potato because it makes for a much moister bread. Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I've heard that tapioca starch works fine. I haven't tried making bread that way yet but have used it for other things. I get very sick from potatoes so I have to avoid them, too.

Stephanie

I agree, try tapioca starch (I think it's labeled as tapioca flour). I've used them interchangeably as thickeners, and I've also made lots of flour mixes that use both both potato starch and tapioca flour. You could try substituting tapioca flour for the potato starch and see what happens.

Have you tried the Bette Hagman mixes using garbanzo/fava flour? This flour helps breads retain moisure better. If I remember correctly Bette Hagman's Four Flour Bean Mix does not use potato starch. I believe it is just garbanso/fava, sorghum, cornstarch and tapioca starch. I've made several great recipes using this flour mix rather than her standard rice flour mix.

Arrow root is good as a sub for potato starch. Tapioca flour makes food chewy, so it would depend on what you are cooking. Potato starch smooths and thickens. Arrow root does't do the smoothing and thickening as well, but it works.

Maybe a 50/50 blend then of tapioca and arrowroot? I think I'll try that next time.

Stephanie