Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

whitball

Gardens And Cross Contamination

I need some information regarding cross contamination and gardens. My husband has planted many plants during the last few weeks, and today I learned that he planted wheat also. My question is: can the wheat cross contaminate vegetables, fruit, etc?

As long as you wash the produce before use they should be fine. One thing to be careful of though is breathing in dust from the wheat when he harvests it. You must have a really big garden!

As long as you wash the produce before use they should be fine. One thing to be careful of though is breathing in dust from the wheat when he harvests it. You must have a really big garden!

Our garden covers most of our back yard. He has planted several kinds of beans, tomatoes, potatoes, corn, cucumbers, zucchini, beets, carrots, garlic, onions, peppers, etc. and....the wheat. We'll be eating good stuff in the fall. My husband also cans most of the produce. He has a green thumb.

I'm just curious -- why wheat? Even without Celiac, it would never occur to me to plant wheat in a garden. And with a Celiac in the house... what is he going to do with it? I don't imagine you're going to let him grind flour in your kitchen. Is there another use for wheat that I'm not aware of?

The rest of your garden sounds wonderful. :) We've got a bunch of starts going in containers, but hubby hasn't done the tilling yet. We had a really long winter so we had to start our garden indoors this year. Hopefully we'll move the starts to the garden next weekend.

I'm just curious -- why wheat? Even without Celiac, it would never occur to me to plant wheat in a garden. And with a Celiac in the house... what is he going to do with it? I don't imagine you're going to let him grind flour in your kitchen. Is there another use for wheat that I'm not aware of?

The rest of your garden sounds wonderful. :) We've got a bunch of starts going in containers, but hubby hasn't done the tilling yet. We had a really long winter so we had to start our garden indoors this year. Hopefully we'll move the starts to the garden next weekend.

My husband should have been a farmer. He starts thinking about the garden in November. He loves to experiment and tries just about everything. I just about had a heart attack when he told me that he planted wheat. I needed to ask about cross contamination to make sure all was going to be okay.