This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thought I Could Handle This But....

sharkmom

sharkmom Apprentice

Been a week since going gluten-free. Kindof a fluke that I found out I have intolerance or possible celiac (along with dairy, soy, eggs). I always blamed gas, bloating, frequent bm with eating a lot of fruits and veggies. Type 1 diabetic so always ate a healthy diet and exercise daily, and always ate whole grain, high fiber carbs. Didnt think gluten-free diet would be a huge change but I think along with eliminating soy, dairy, & eggs too has me very depressed. Not to mention, I am so tired. I have no energy at all. I am not this person. I am always on the go and now it's an effort to do anything and I HATE IT!! I just want this to go away and I know it wont. I actually think I feel worse as the days go on and not better eliminating the gluten. Sorry, I have never felt like this and it has happened suddenly and really without warning.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LuvMoosic4life Collaborator

hang in there. it does get better. When I first started the diet my immediate symptoms went away, but then I started feeling worse...very tired, wierd bm's, constipation off and on...etc.. It was kind of a up and down battle until my body evened out. I think its like a shock to the body immediatly removing something we've been eating for so long...kinda like quiting cigarettes cold turkey.

I have been gluten free exactly a year and I am definitly feeling MUCH better and feel more on track. it took about 6 months for things to start to even out...but everyone is differant.

hannahp57 Contributor

most of us can understand what you're going through. it all hits you so suddenly and you dont realize how drastic a change it is until you actually cut those foods out. you will probably get your energy back but you may consider eating more protein to give yourself more energy. maybe nuts and more chicken? i dont know much about nutrition though so maybe someone will have better tips.

before i was finally diagnosed, i had completely stopped eating because the pain was so bad. when i found out i could start eating but just leave out the wheat i thought wow this will be easy. but that first grocery shopping trip...and the week seeing my family eat oreos and BREAD and stuff like that...it all added up fast. i know its discouraging but it gets easier once you're used to it. go to the baking forum and you'll find some good recipes and websites with gluten free dairy free and egg free recipes. hope it all gets better

shirleyujest Contributor
Been a week since going gluten-free. Kindof a fluke that I found out I have intolerance or possible celiac (along with dairy, soy, eggs). I always blamed gas, bloating, frequent bm with eating a lot of fruits and veggies. Type 1 diabetic so always ate a healthy diet and exercise daily, and always ate whole grain, high fiber carbs. Didnt think gluten-free diet would be a huge change but I think along with eliminating soy, dairy, & eggs too has me very depressed. Not to mention, I am so tired. I have no energy at all. I am not this person. I am always on the go and now it's an effort to do anything and I HATE IT!! I just want this to go away and I know it wont. I actually think I feel worse as the days go on and not better eliminating the gluten. Sorry, I have never felt like this and it has happened suddenly and really without warning.
Cinnamon7778 Rookie

please hang in there! I believe that it will get better. Prior to becoming ill but unaware of having celiac disease, I was very athletic. I jooged 35 to 40 miles aweek, studied martial arts, cardio workout etc. However after becoming ill everything came to a screeching halt. I became a vegan 3 years aog because I experienced alot of symptoms which at times required hospitalization and shots. I miss my old way of living. However, I have to deal with right here and now. I just recently as a vegan began the wheat, gluten and soy free diet and its hard. I went to Barnes and Nobles to purchase a book of receipes that's related to the above and the sales clerk looked at me like wow your a vegan and you still have food issues. But you know what I trust and believe that its going to be okay and most importantly that I'll be healthier than I've ever been and so will you and the many others who are dealing with celiac disease. Stay blessed and encouraged please!

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice

Find some legal foods that make you feel like you are getting away with something! :D When I was a kid, my mom would sometimes look the other way when I fed my hotdog bun to the dog! so eating gluten free brats without bread feels good. Also because we had a large family and fruit was expensive we were only allowed one peice of fruit a day. Now I eat a whole bowl of it... two bananas a day if I want....enjoy life chocolate chips and marshmellows in my coffee! And there are alcoholic beverages that are gluten free. I haven't explored those yet but jello shots come to mind! B)

sharkmom Apprentice

Thanks for your replies. I am just surprised how lousy I am feeling, but I am trying to act as normal as possible and fight through the fatigue and be active like before. Haven't drank alcohol since the holidays, but might have a few this weekend. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TotalKnowledge Apprentice

I greatly reduced my gluten intake on the 3rd, and quit completely about mid day on the 5th. With the possible exception of when I ate out at a restaurant have not had any gluten. I seem to be rotating through various chronic problems, but am having them one at a time rather than together.

As a whole though I feel much better. My muscle fatigue and exhaustion have gone away. Even though I have been more tired at times, it is a different kind of tired.

I am rather optimistic however, and I would say stick it out for a while. Did you go cold turkey on all the things at once? It could be part of what is effecting you so much. Theoretically you should start feeling better soon. Hang in there :D

LDJofDenver Apprentice

Just wanted to post a link for you for a mainstream grocery shopping guide, this one is Gluten, Casein and Soy Free products:

Open Original Shared Link

I have one that is just for gluten free products, and it made a huge difference in my shopping life, let me tell you. They're about $25 but worth it. I had no idea so many mainstream products were OK. If you search online, you can find other gluten-free shopping guides, but I'm not sure how many also have the casein and soy free as well.

It really does get easier, promise. In a couple months you'll have a good handle on haves and have nots. Like any significant change in your life, it takes a little time at first. Before you know it, it will be old hat.

Hang in there.

ang1e0251 Contributor

Sorry you're feeling so bad right now. As others have said, hang in there. In the meantime you can look over your vitamin intake and make some changes that will help. In the energy department the sublingual B12 (methyl type) really helped me. You can't take too much, extra will just wash away so take what you need. Increase your magnesium, athletes especially need extra.

I agree with the suggestion of increasing your protein. Along with that make sure you're getting enough dietary fat. Now's not the time to eat low fat. Your muscles, including your heart muscle, need dietary fat to function. Nuts, avocados are both good sources along with meat.

See if this helps get you through the transition. It feels so hard in the beginning, but I promise you will feel better down the road.

Korwyn Explorer

One of the things you may also be dealing with is bacterial imbalance, especially if you have ever had any antibiotics. I would suggest you make sure that you are getting good protein, raw honey (no refined sugar), lots of non-starchy veggies, plenty of ripe fruit, and take a good mixed probiotic like PB-8 or Multibiotic-10. Keep on that for about 6 weeks.

Archived