This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Was So Hungry And Afraid I Am Really Sad Right Now

Cinnamon7778

samcarter Contributor
Do you have a particular kind of protein powder that you could suggest. I am afraid to eat meat. :unsure: Just thinking about it scares me. I can't eat sunflower seeds but I do eat alot of veggies. I was not aware of the rice chex thing. Aslo, someone just informed me that Rice Dreams (milk) has barley enzymes and of course this is the brand I've been using!! I eat wanust and almonds and so far no problems. I ordered cooks books Susan O Brian Wheat free, gluten free cookbook for vegan and Donna Klein cookbook so hopeful I'll find receipes that are not only nutritious but delicious. ;)

You could try this one: Open Original Shared Link It's made from brown rice, and is supposed to be dairy free and soy free.

You could try almond milk instead of the Rice Dream if you can tolerate almonds. It's higher in protein than rice milk. I myself use Rice Dream, and have been using it for the past week or so, and haven't had any gluten reactions that I can determine. Then again, I am gluten intolerant, not a diagnosed celiac. I may not be as sensitive as you. I have read that the Pacific brand of Rice drink is designated gluten free.

I think Rice chex is okay to eat--I myself love it as a snack, but I use it as just that, a snack. Sometimes I'll toss it with clarified butter or a little oil, and spices, and bake it for a chex mix type thing. But it's a treat, not a regular thing.

As for trying meat, when I first started eating meat, I took it slowly. A little ground beef in a veggie soup, for instance. Or just some chicken soup. Broth is actually very healing; if you make a homemade chicken stock, you'll be certain it doesn't have any gluten in it, and you can use it to make a veggie soup with just a little chicken. Bear in mind i'm not telling you to stop being a vegetarian, but there are ways to incorporate more protein in your diet without sitting down to a hunk of roast beef!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

What about some fish?

Avacados are a good fat source. Olive oil is healthy. I use almond meal/flour for baking muffins that are high in protein and healthy fats and very low carbohydrate. If you are interested in using almond meal here is a website to check out. Open Original Shared Link

maile Newbie
I am not allergic to meat I just lethargic and heavy when I eat meat. The frequency of my bowel movement change and so I become clogged and I experience mood swings. It may sound crazy but this is what I've noticed. I really don't like those feelings or symptoms coupled with the ones I am experiencing now. OMG So, I am not sure what I should do!!! :blink:

Was this an experience you had while you were still eating gluten? or have you tried since going gluten free?

just my experience but many reactions I had ascribed to certain "obvious" foods such as meat, yeast etc, reactions such as lethargy and bloating were actually a reaction to the gluten. Now when I eat those foods it's all good.

You've had some great advice here, my only suggestion would be if you add animal protein into your diet to perhaps try white fish (basa, sole etc) as a protein (unless you are allergic to fish....I didn't notice if you said that) as it is easier to digest than meat.

YoloGx Rookie

Hi Cinnamon and all,

Interesting to see how we are all different and yet have other similarities. For myself its harder to eat fish--especially white fish! Be careful if you do eat fish; its important to not eat too much due to mercury. Nevertheless it is a very good food otherwise.

I prefer chicken to beef or pork--both of which are usually too heavy for me. A little of them goes a long ways--best perhaps in a stir fry or soup. I often eat one or two servings of salmon a week, though not always.

I take digestive enzymes--plant based ones actually that mimic pancreatin. Can't handle ox bile! And don't need HCL--but maybe you do??

I am intolerant of all milk products except for organic, non fat plain yogurt. I often sweeten mine with stevia. I have it every day--it is a mainstay.

I use magnesium citrate (1 tsp. a day--in two 1/2 tsp. doses) with my calcium each day. The magnesium is often needed for many enzymatic functions--plus it helps with the bowels. Take less if you get D from it. Lots of folks here who have celiac need extra magnesium.

I also grind fresh flax seed (1 to two tablespoons) with 1/4 tsp. apple pectin and then mix in water; I use a simple coffee grinder (sans coffee of course!). This helps greatly with elimination plus gives much needed inexpensive Omega 3's. I find pre-made bulking agents often have gluten in them.

I personally love vegetarian food. Unfortunately I am allergic to too much stuff for it to work well at all for me--since eggs, nuts, cheese etc. are out.

However there are folks who still are vegetarians who have celiac. One protein most of them do well with is beans. For myself unfortunately they don't agree with me.

I should pass on a warning about tofu in case you don't already know it. It has been found to have too much estrogen for it to be safe if eaten consistently plus it can stunt a child's growth. It can also be cancer inducing--as some of my vegetarian friends have discovered. However the fermented kinds of soy products are safe. Just make sure they aren't made with gluten--like miso frequently is...and most kinds of soy sauce. Wheat free Tamari however is very safe.

As far as fruit goes, if it doesn't bother you, eat it! Just maybe don't go crazy eating it. Actually it sounds to me like you should find and stick with a diet that works for you now. If you do have candida overgrowth, deal with it later when you feel stronger. In the meantime however I suggest you cut down on sugar(s) and use stevia instead. How nice for you that you can use agave! For me it gives me a horrendous headache! As said, we are all different!

For quite a long time I ate quinoa. I hope to get back to it and other alternative grains at least once in a while after I finally kick out the candida better. However as said previously, for now I eat vegetables, meat, sguash, roots, yogurt and sunflower seeds and that's about it except for lemons...and carob powder which I often make into a hot drink at night with water and stevia.

I may have this condition worse than many here in some ways due to having had celiac since early infancy. It was diagnosed back then but after age four I was put back onto gluten and was sick ever since...Lot's of time to develop a leaky gut with all kinds of allergies and food intolerances since I am now almost 60! A little over a year and a half ago I finally discovered I needed to go off all trace gluten in order to have energy and be well. I had partly figured things out before that but only partly. I now don't get sick from constant flue and colds, have lost my mysterious bouts of depression and anxiety, don't have fibromyalgia (as long as I take vit. D, and enough minerals and co-enzyme B-vitamins), sleep better finally, no longer have a racing heart etc. etc.!

Plus my hypoglycemic symptoms have largely gone away as long as I eat an adequate diet. I still can't just eat one or two meals a day and get away with it. It stresses the adrenals to do that for most anyone as they get older especially... eventually depleting them and pushing one's sugar balance way out of whack. Its one reason too to be careful of coffee and other stimulants esp. since those who have celiac already have an overactive immune system. I still snack--often with yogurt and/or sunflower seeds with say a stick of celery. Or a piece of chicken or fish if I have to...but often that still does seem too heavy as a snack if I do that too much. If I do have the meat as a snack, I find its better with a salad...with some cut up summer squash in it.

So have confidence. It is doable and it is worth it to stick with the diet and figure out what is right for you...

Bea

Archived