kdonov2

Supposedly Gluten-free Spices

Rate this topic

has anyone else ever had a reaction to McCormicks or Tone's (from Aldi) spices? the ones im specifically referring to are the ones i use in indian dishes such as curry powder, coriander, cardamom, turmeric, chili powder, paprika and cumin. i called the hotline for Tone's spices and they assured me that their spices were gluten free and i know that McCormicks were supposed to be safe as well, so im wondering what the reaction is all about. it feels like ive been punched in the stomach and i am very very bloated. i know indian spices have a tendency to make you retain water, but my stomach puffed up way too quickly and i just feel like ive been glutened. is it possible that im just intolerant to some spices? the other day i was accidentally glutened by what i stupidly assumed would be fine, some garlic pepper that contained wheat semolina. even though the spices i used today are "safe," i am having very similar stomach sensations to the ones i had from being glutened by the garlic pepper. would anybody be able to provide any insight? it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry that you are feeliing ill.

McCormicks will clearly list all forms of gluten. But, that's not to say that they are all gluten free, just that they will list if any gluten is added.

I didn't notice a reaction to the McCormicks spices we used to make taco seasoning. I had to buy individual spices because the packaged ones have milk in them.

Could you be reacting to the oils in the meal instead of the spices? Vegetable oil (soy) would do it to me.

You may also still be suffering fromt the effects of your glutening a day or two before and with that your tummy may be still sensitive. I also agree with the person who mentioned soy oil. That will give me awful issues also. It is not uncommon for us to be sensitive to both soy and casien and of course you may also be sensitive to some individual spice.

No reaction to McCormicks. Never had Tones.

richard

You are not alone in this. I can NOT consume McCormick chili powder at all. I have horrible reactions to it, I have had trouble two times and I always test it out twice just incase. Now the single spices I do just fine, now I just make my own mixed spices. I have had gut reactions to Mrs Dash, McCormick Chili Powder and those are the only mixed spices I have tried.

I have reacted to McCormicks ground spices, but I have found that if I buy them whole and grind them myself, I do alright.

My understanding of McCormicks allergy stance is that they can guarantee all spices are safe from x-contamination except mixes. I originally took this to mean their pre packaged "taco seasoning" spices but I think it refers to others too. DS has many IGE food allergies that include but are not limited too all the glutens. He has had no problems with any of McCormicks spices EXCEPT the curry. Took me a while to figure it out. His reactions might not be too gluten though.

thanks for the replies. i certainly do have a lot to think about now. i might try out the spices individually to find what spices i can have instead of depriving myself of all of them. i really hope its not the curry powder though, i love curry.

I haven't done it yet but I think you could make your own curry powder. I think it is just a mix of spices. Good luck figuring it all out.

It took me a couple of months to figure out that I was reacting to McCormick's GROUND spices. I've eliminated them and eat only freshly bought and dried spices. (Dried by me I mean.) It was a bummer. I don't THINK I reacted to McCormick's plain dried spices (not ground) but I've eliminated them altogether anyway- it's not worth it to me. I am one of those ridiculously highly sensitive people...

Good luck,

lisa

Hey,

I use McCormicks as well. I like to make a vegetable broth and everytime I make it I get sick and it makes no sense becasue I"m not using anything that contains gluten. The ONLY thing I am using that I don't commonly use is McC's Tumeric. I"m starting to think it is the culprit.

Now, it may be that it has been contaminated as we've had it in the house since before I was diagnosed. Next time I make the broth I plan to eliminate the tumeric and see if it makes a difference.

has anyone else ever had a reaction to McCormicks or Tone's (from Aldi) spices? the ones im specifically referring to are the ones i use in indian dishes such as curry powder, coriander, cardamom, turmeric, chili powder, paprika and cumin. i called the hotline for Tone's spices and they assured me that their spices were gluten free and i know that McCormicks were supposed to be safe as well, so im wondering what the reaction is all about. it feels like ive been punched in the stomach and i am very very bloated. i know indian spices have a tendency to make you retain water, but my stomach puffed up way too quickly and i just feel like ive been glutened. is it possible that im just intolerant to some spices? the other day i was accidentally glutened by what i stupidly assumed would be fine, some garlic pepper that contained wheat semolina. even though the spices i used today are "safe," i am having very similar stomach sensations to the ones i had from being glutened by the garlic pepper. would anybody be able to provide any insight? it would be greatly appreciated.