This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Kix And Trix Now Gluten Free Plus Betty Crocker Coming Out With New Gluten Free Cake Mixes

srthomas21

srthomas21 Explorer

I called General Mills this morning to confirm that Kix and Trix cereal is gluten free and they told me it is but they still have boxes out there that are not. They said if there is no mention of wheat or oats products on the box then they are gluten free. Neither box of Trix or Kix that I looked at had gluten in them.

Also they offered to send me out some samples of the new Betty Crocker Cake mixes that are gluten free that they are coming out with in a few weeks.

If anyone else wants to try those give them a call. I was just diagnosed with Celiac yesterday so its nice to know that companies like General mills are coming out with more Gluten Free products.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hasail Rookie

Oh my goodness, you are kidding!

I used to love Kix, and of course, had to give up all kinds of cereals. Wow. So, you're saying that as long as the ingredients do not list wheat or oats, it's the new formula? Great!

Thank you for sharing this!

daphniela Explorer
I called General Mills this morning to confirm that Kix and Trix cereal is gluten free and they told me it is but they still have boxes out there that are not. They said if there is no mention of wheat or oats products on the box then they are gluten free. Neither box of Trix or Kix that I looked at had gluten in them.

Also they offered to send me out some samples of the new Betty Crocker Cake mixes that are gluten free that they are coming out with in a few weeks.

If anyone else wants to try those give them a call. I was just diagnosed with Celiac yesterday so its nice to know that companies like General mills are coming out with more Gluten Free products.

This is great. I'm tired of only eating Chex.

srthomas21 Explorer

Yeah, I had a big bowl of Trix today. It was great. Be sure to check the label to make sure you are getting the new version of the cereal.

hasail Rookie

Guess what?

Since my last post I went food shopping, and went to look at the Kix boxes. Interestingly, they had both versions of the Kix recipe there....so I can officially tell you the difference:

The old Kix will list as its second ingredient "whole grain oat"

The new Kix will list as its second ingredient "whole grain corn"

The old Kix will list "corn syrup"

The new Kix will list "brown sugar syrup"

I am happily sitting here, writing this, eating a bowl of Kix for the first time in 12 years. Ahh....the good life! :rolleyes:

Salax Contributor

Woot! This is great news! Thanks for sharing. I love Trix and I am getting board with Chex. :D

hannahp57 Contributor

That's so great. I look forward to variety too :)

i would love to try the mixes too but cannot find them around here... but i'll keep looking. i imagine before long most areas will have them

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

njbeachbum Explorer

I called General Mills just now to find out if they know when the Betty Crocker mixes would start showing up in the NY/NJ area stores, and the rep said "we have no idea, you'll just have to keep checking." When prodded further she said that "they were shipped to whatever store ordered them, and we have no control over when they hit their shelves". ok then. thanks. So then I mentioned that I had heard some customers had received samples, and she said "oh no, we don't have any samples."

So either I got the wrong rep or there is a lot of misinformation out there.

Amyleigh0007 Enthusiast

That's a bummer that some parts of the country don't have the Betty Crocker mixes yet. I would think out here in Missouri we would be the last place to get them but it seems like we are the first. I have made the cookies and brownies and they are both really, really good. There's also devel's food cake and a vanilla cake mix. I haven't tried them yet.

strawberrynin Newbie
I called General Mills just now to find out if they know when the Betty Crocker mixes would start showing up in the NY/NJ area stores, and the rep said "we have no idea, you'll just have to keep checking." When prodded further she said that "they were shipped to whatever store ordered them, and we have no control over when they hit their shelves". ok then. thanks. So then I mentioned that I had heard some customers had received samples, and she said "oh no, we don't have any samples."

So either I got the wrong rep or there is a lot of misinformation out there.

I actually saw them (Betty Crocker mixes) on the shelf in a Kroger in Lake Orion, Michigan today. Call your grocer and request if it isn't there yet...for it IS available.

bamjoker Newbie

So do the new Kix and Trix have gluten free on the front like the Chex?

Juliebove Rising Star

I thought Trix had been gluten-free for some time now? We have been buying it.

BRS-07 Rookie
That's a bummer that some parts of the country don't have the Betty Crocker mixes yet. I would think out here in Missouri we would be the last place to get them but it seems like we are the first. I have made the cookies and brownies and they are both really, really good. There's also devel's food cake and a vanilla cake mix. I haven't tried them yet.

I live in missouri also, but haven't found anything yet. What stores have you seen these products in?

srthomas21 Explorer

I think Trix may have been gluten free for a while but Kix hasn't . I don't think they are marking them Gluten free yet because there are still two different varietys floating around. Just check the label and if no wheat or oats are listed it's gluten free.

lmvrbaby Newbie

Here in Western NY the Betty Crocker mixes are in Wegmans. I bought the cake and brownies but haven't made them yet. I hope they are as good as everyone says they are. ;)

brigala Explorer

So far, all the Kix I've found that are the new formula have been in a drastically different-looking box. It has what looks like an ear of corn on the front, but the kernels are Kix. I have been seeing these off and on for months, but not consistently. I always buy a box or two when I spot them.

My guess is that they're not marked Gluten Free because they're not made in their special gluten-free facility like their gluten-free versions of Chex. Anybody know anything about this?

-Elizabeth

MikeP Newbie
Oh my goodness, you are kidding!

I used to love Kix, and of course, had to give up all kinds of cereals. Wow. So, you're saying that as long as the ingredients do not list wheat or oats, it's the new formula? Great!

Thank you for sharing this!

Hey everyone- been lurking here for a few weeks; I am a parent of a newly diagnosed celiac disease (age 11) and who also has Type 1 :( .

Thanks for all the valuable insight you provide. On the cereal front my (picky) son also likes Chex cereals that are now gluten-free along with Trader Joe's EnviroKids Organic Gorilla munch (very similar to Kix).

He was a thumbs down to the Apple Cinnamon cereal from Glutino (too strong of a apple/cinnamon taste) he said.

Once again thanks for this support forum.

Introducing myself here and will sure to "see y'all around"

Mike

Raleigh, NC

Asillem4 Newbie

I had Kix last week for the first time since figuring out I'm a celiac last summer. I was so happy. Now Trix? I'm giddy.

LoveBeachForever Newbie

I am so entirely estatic about both of these things! I had been getting tired of Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Pebbles and I used to love Kix and Trix I will definitely look forward to buying some now :)

And the Betty Crocker mix, that is just AMAZING! Thanks for the new information!

Paige

*Daniella* Apprentice

I am sitting here eating a gluten free chocolate chip cookie from Betty Crocker. These cookies are amazing! I will make the bronwies this weekend.

Salax Contributor

The Betty Crocker Brownies are EXCELLENT! My non celiac nephew and Hubby couldn't tell the difference.

Go Betty Crocker!! WOOT!

:D

• 9 months later...
GFLindsey Explorer

OK, So I need to resurrect this post, because I have a few questions. I contacted General Mills about Kix and the rep told me they are not gluten free. Is this a statement they have to make because they cannot technically market their product as gluten free since it does not have a dedicated facility?

Also, has anyone had cross contamination issues with the cereals that are not made in dedicated facilities (Trix, Kix, Pebbles, etc)?

Finally, I have been eating Chex pretty often since being diagnosed. After browsing through my food journal, my mom thinks I may be having a recation to them after eating (nausea, bloating). Anyone else experience similar symptoms? I know they are marked as gluten-free and should be fine. I normally eat them dry so dairy shouldn't be an issue.

Has anyone had the cupcake Pebbles? Bought some last night and I am dying to try them!

sunnybabi1986 Contributor

OK, So I need to resurrect this post, because I have a few questions. I contacted General Mills about Kix and the rep told me they are not gluten free. Is this a statement they have to make because they cannot technically market their product as gluten free since it does not have a dedicated facility?

Also, has anyone had cross contamination issues with the cereals that are not made in dedicated facilities (Trix, Kix, Pebbles, etc)?

Finally, I have been eating Chex pretty often since being diagnosed. After browsing through my food journal, my mom thinks I may be having a recation to them after eating (nausea, bloating). Anyone else experience similar symptoms? I know they are marked as gluten-free and should be fine. I normally eat them dry so dairy shouldn't be an issue.

Has anyone had the cupcake Pebbles? Bought some last night and I am dying to try them!

I've been eating Trix and Cocoa Pebbles for months now with no problems. :)

You may also want to check out this thread from last week- General Mills: Kix

• 3 years later...
sweetphotogal Newbie

They have the mixes in kentucky, they're not so great but there's a book called cake doctor does gluten free and I will swear it makes it taste like the real thing...so very good! She uses the betty crocker mixes but adds things like pudding and butter to make them light, airy, and flavorful...so much better than just the basic box mix!

kareng Grand Master

They have the mixes in kentucky, they're not so great but there's a book called cake doctor does gluten free and I will swear it makes it taste like the real thing...so very good! She uses the betty crocker mixes but adds things like pudding and butter to make them light, airy, and flavorful...so much better than just the basic box mix!

Just a heads up - This thread started in 2009.  Product info discussed may have changed in that amount of time.  

Archived