Raynee

I Didn't Realize Some People Cant Be Around Gluten

Rate this topic

I have not been dx yet but have many many symptoms for years. I see a doctor next week so I have been browsing the website. I did not realize that some people can't even have gluten in their kitchen. If I do have it and tell my husband that he will think I am nuts. Is this in rare cases?????????

I have not been dx yet but have many many symptoms for years. I see a doctor next week so I have been browsing the website. I did not realize that some people can't even have gluten in their kitchen. If I do have it and tell my husband that he will think I am nuts. Is this in rare cases?????????

Welcome! Anyone with Celiac Disease can most certainly have gluten in their kitchens and be around it. It is a matter of choice, not necessity. However, if there are small children in the house, it may be difficult to train them in the aspects of avoiding cross contamination so many CHOOSE to go completely gluten-free so they won't come into close, personal contact from gluten that their kids may have left around unknowingly. You have to ingest gluten in order to spark an autoimmune reaction.

My husband is a non Celiac and has his own stash of food in our pantry. We do not segregate anything but make sure it is properly wrapped to avoid crumbs getting everywhere. With a few small lessons in CC and always being aware, we have successfully managed to have a mixed household without any problems for me. We have no children so it's easier for us. There is a learning curve to being gluten-free successfully but it can be done without a major upheaval.

Welcome! Anyone with Celiac Disease can most certainly have gluten in their kitchens and be around it. It is a matter of choice, not necessity. However, if there are small children in the house, it may be difficult to train them in the aspects of avoiding cross contamination so many CHOOSE to go completely gluten-free so they won't come into close, personal contact from gluten that their kids may have left around unknowingly. You have to ingest gluten in order to spark an autoimmune reaction.

My husband is a non Celiac and has his own stash of food in our pantry. We do not segregate anything but make sure it is properly wrapped to avoid crumbs getting everywhere. With a few small lessons in CC and always being aware, we have successfully managed to have a mixed household without any problems for me. We have no children so it's easier for us. There is a learning curve to being gluten-free successfully but it can be done without a major upheaval.

Thank you for your reply and what a relief if I do have it. Deep down I think I do. I haven't mentioned to my husband what I think I have he just knows I am going to the doctor next week. I don't think he realizes the misery I have been in and I have had so many strange illnesses with no answers that he will think I am nuts anyway unless the doctor flat says it.

Some folks are just more sensitive than others. I also mantain a mixed household with just my DH and I. I can appreciate the problems with children though. It may help you to relate to your husband if he goes with you on your dr visits so he is on the same page. If he will, it would be helpful to him to read a little more about celiac disease maybe on this website.

celiac disease is a difficult concept for anyone to grasp let alone a spouse. It has to be hard to think not only do you have to change your whole lifestyle and adjust, but what your spouse does can affect you. I think any couple dealing with a serious illness faces this. The good news is celiac disease is very manegeable as far as serious diseases go. It's a diet and your husband never has to see you through chemotherapy or breast removal for this condition. He never has to lug your oxygen tank or sit through a heart transplant. He has to help you read food labels, clean up his bread crumbs and support you through social situations. That is very manageable. You'll both come through it.

You will probably be okay having it in the house if you're careful. I'd be more worried about the husband who would think you were "crazy" for having a serious health condition. <_<

I live with two gluten eating people and I just am careful. I wipe the counters a lot, make sure all pots and pans are washed extremely clean (like, 5 times in boiling water sort of clean) OR even better, use my own. I have my own cutting board but other than that, stuff like silverware and what not is never really a problem.

We have a minimal amount of gluten in our house, too. (A big part of that is that I have a 4 yr old who is as messy as a regular four yr old boy) It's easier to contain crumbs and such that way. We have regular bread, cheerios and sometimes goldfish. Occasionally, my husband will buy frozen pancakes (YUCK!!) and cook them in the oven on foil.

I do not, however, have wheat flour in my house. I don't make things that have wheat in them because I do get reactions from inhaling wheat flour. This has been studied and there is an article, on this site I believe, discussing the problems with celiacs inhaling wheat flour. I also refuse to make anything that I can't eat. Can you blame me :P

While I don't like to touch bread, being in it's presence doesn't make me sick.

My non-celiac DH and I live in an almost gluten free house. Exceptions:

Sandwhich bread for his lunches. But sandwiches are made in one part of the counter on a plate.

Individually wrapped snacks for his lunch.

An occasional frozen pizza for him.

Other than those, I cook everything gluten free, and he enjoys our meals. It took me awhile to relearn cooking (especially baking) but I've gotten the hang of it. It helped that I always was a from scratch cook, and a lot of meals are gluten free naturally. But, no flour in our house.