columbakss

Gluten Free Diet Causing Breastmilk Issues?

Rate this topic

I recently, within the past 3-4 dyas, has found out that my celiac disease has reactivated. I have two sons, the youngest who is 7 months old. I have already successfully breastfed my oldest and never had any supply issues. Since I started back on a gluten free diet my milk supply has diminished, and I know its not my son going through a growth spurt. Is it the diet I am now on or has anyone else had any problems with this? I was also put on glucophage to aid in the wieght lodd from another condtion I have that makes me insluin resistent and hard to put off weight...is it the med? Any info would be greatly appreciated! I eat every 2-3 hours and feel stuffed all the time, could I still be under eating though?

I was only gluten-free while nursing one of my 3 kids. I only noticed supply dips when I wasn't getting enough calories. The rule of thumb is you need about 500 extra calories a day to maintain your supply. So I had to eat almost 3000 calories a day.

Also, make sure you're drinking enough water. I felt like I couldn't get enough water while nursing.

There are supplements you can take to help with supply. I'd talk to your OB or pediatrician about them if you're worried. GL!

What do you mean by reactivated? Once you have celiac disease you always have it and must stay on a gluten free diet. Even without symptoms you are causing damage to yourself if you are eating gluten. You may not be absorbing nutrients because of the damaged villi, therefore, your child will not either. I would suggest calling the pediatrician. You may have to do some supplementing. Good luck to you and your son.

One thing I found while breast feeding was that yeast helped increase production. Possibly grab a gluten-free pizza crust kit with yeast and try it? Since I don't eat bread, my yeast intake is nearly zero on a gluten-free diet. I can only imagine most are the same.

I recently, within the past 3-4 dyas, has found out that my celiac disease has reactivated. I have two sons, the youngest who is 7 months old. I have already successfully breastfed my oldest and never had any supply issues. Since I started back on a gluten free diet my milk supply has diminished, and I know its not my son going through a growth spurt. Is it the diet I am now on or has anyone else had any problems with this? I was also put on glucophage to aid in the wieght lodd from another condtion I have that makes me insluin resistent and hard to put off weight...is it the med? Any info would be greatly appreciated! I eat every 2-3 hours and feel stuffed all the time, could I still be under eating though?

You can try an herb by the name of Fenugreek. It increases milk supply. You can research it in Breastfeeding.com

What do you mean by reactivated? Once you have celiac disease you always have it and must stay on a gluten free diet. Even without symptoms you are causing damage to yourself if you are eating gluten. You may not be absorbing nutrients because of the damaged villi, therefore, your child will not either. I would suggest calling the pediatrician. You may have to do some supplementing. Good luck to you and your son.

I can tell you from personal experience that pediatricians, and doctors in general, are NOT very knowledgeable when it comes to breastfeeding. Your best bet is to find a lactation consultant (LC). Supplementing will lower your milk production even more. A lactation consultant will help you increase your milk production without having to resort to formula. Try calling 1800-LaLeche for a LC near you.

What your pediatrician can do is monitor your babies weight gain and growth while you are working with the lactation consultant to resolve your milk supply issues.

Good Luck.