The Fluffy Assassin

"millet Is A Gluten Free Food"

Rate this topic

This is on the Eden Organic millet label. No doubt true, but does it actually say that this particular package is gluten free or is it a way of weasel wording a way out of making such a declaration, or is it a way of sounding like you're saying it's gluten free without actually saying anything? This is a continuation of a discussion from another thread I started; pretty soon I'll have to change my username to Millet Boy.:)

This is the wording required to comply with certain labeling rules. Because all millet is gluten-free, you cannot simply label your product as gluten-free millet, since that would be misleading--it would suggest that some millet is not gluten-free.

You can say what they did, or you can say, "This millet, like all millet, is gluten-free."

Millet is the example here, but this applies to any food which is inherently gluten-free by its nature, such as corn, milk, spinach, etc., etc.

They're simply stating a fact: millet is a gluten-free food. It helps those who don't know what grains are safe to eat on a gluten-free diet.

I believe what you're looking for is further information saying whether or not they batch tested it for contamination, or processed it in a wheat free facility, etc. Am I right on that? That is not required, but is much more helpful than stating the obvious... if you've been gluten-free for any length of time, chances are you know millet is gluten-free.

is it a way of sounding like you're saying it's gluten free without actually saying anything?

I think you're on to something Millet Boy!! :lol: