This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help With Understanding Test Results

talula2

talula2 Apprentice

Over the past few years I have experienced digestive issues, extreme bloating in paticular after many foods. I have seen and allergist and was told I was extremely allergic to dairy, soy and avacado. Slightly allergic to wheat and possible egg whites. After ellimnation of most of these foods I was told I could eat small amounts of wheat, I stll suffer digestive distress. I went total wheat free and still no difference but continued to eat my oats and rye crackers. The tTg test was done and sent to the mayp clinic, my result was 0.06 wich my dr said was normal. He said the range was from 0.00 to 0.10. After reading on various posts it seems everyones range is different. I have seen that anything above 5 is considered positive. Can anyone help me understand this result???? I was also tested for liver, thyroid, and vit B12 and all came back fine as well as iron was all normal.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dudiedood Newbie

Hi Talula2

I too have had a test recently, I had the results today and although I haven't seen them I got the test result as 'normal- no further action'. I have been doing some tests before I went to the docs and I have def had a reaction against wheat, the reason for the visit to the docs in the first place. There is obviously something wrong with the definition of 'normal' for this allergy/intolerance, I for one will be continuing to have no wheat in my diet, probably just gluten intolerant, quite a relief really.

talula2 Apprentice

I saw an allergist last year that is when I was diagnosed with a mild wheat allergy it was only a 1 on a scale of 4 but that seems to hit me harder than any other allergy I have had yet. I swell up like a puffed up balloon for days, and I have a huge distended belly but it seems to affect me emotionally as well I have terrible mood swings and achey joints knees mostly. I have a fogged over feeling that lasts for days that is why I thought I had celiac disease. I don't know though my dr. said he had never read the results of the test before as this was the first one he has done (he is my GP) I can't get into the GI until Sept. After reading the boards it seems as though I would have a positive reading or as they said weak positive. Not sure????? Confused really, my test range was 0 to 10 mine being a 6 so from other post 6 seems to be a weak positive, but my dr. was so pleased to report that I was not celiac and could just chalk it up to allergies and find my tolerance. Oh boy another person to brush me off. I have tried to eat any for of gluten and I am in bad shape for weeks. I am seeing the allergist again to do update testing but as well that is not until Sept. I am going to stay gluten free now as it nearly kills me to eat it, it seems it takes a few day to build up and then bam I am a mess.

lizard00 Enthusiast

Did you see your test results? Get them if you can, to see any comments that may have been made by the lab, and to see their reference ranges. My doctor was so excited to tell me I didn't have celiac, too. She didn't know how to read the results either...

And how often did you eat regular oats/rye crackers? All of this could have an impact on your results.

The testing is unfortunately not quite where it should be. There has to be a threshhold to be considered 'positive', although I personally think the test should be either pos or neg... much like a pregnancy test. You either react to gluten or you don't.

If you can't eat it, listen to your body. If it's really important to you to have a firm diagnosis, however, your doctor will likely want you to do a challenge for a couple of month and then do an endoscopy. The good news is that the allergy test can be preformed whether you are eating gluten or not, but keep in mind that celiac and an allergy are two different things.

talula2 Apprentice

Thank you againn the the support and advice.

I really don't need a dr or tests to confirm that I indeed do have a problem with gluten as my body makes me fully aware, i just gets me so discouraged that I am just brushed off and tet after test they just say oh it is IBS . I know the awful feeling when I ingest something with wheat or gluten what ever my problem is I am going to avoid it at all costs. I will try and get a hold of my labs and post the results.

Archived