UnhappyCoeliac

How Does Celiac Cause Ms?

Rate this topic

on the news they just said low vit d is a major cause i have had low d, then it receoved now i have been off my diet and not supplementing so t could be low i am very apranoid about ms, how do i know i have it or will get it, im 23 so leave the young adult phase soon

Celiac does not cause MS but it can cause damage to the brain that can present with symptoms that are the same as MS. MS is diagnosed by an MRI that will show lesions around the mylin sheath. These same kind of lesions can be found in a MRI with celiacs but they are in a different location. Also when they have doubt about those lesions a spinal tap can be done which will show that demylination is taking place.

If you vitamin D levels are very low talk to your doctor at what starting or 'loading' dose you should begin with and what dose to take daily after that. You do NOT want to just start taking mega doses of D without checking you levels first because D can be toxic in very large doses if it is not needed.

on the news they just said low vit d is a major cause i have had low d, then it receoved now i have been off my diet and not supplementing so t could be low i am very apranoid about ms, how do i know i have it or will get it, im 23 so leave the young adult phase soon

Why are you paranoid about MS? Does anyone in your family have it?

MS is an autoimmune disease, like rheumatoid arthritis, or Hashimoto's thyroiditis, or even celiac disease itself. Celiac disease doesn't cause MS, as ravenwoodglass said, but it can "open the door" for other autoimmune diseases to develop. The actual mechanism is a bit complicated, but here's a link to an article that explains it well, I think. The article discusses the cytokine associated with celiac disease, zonulin, which makes the intestines more permeable so that foreign material can pass through into the blood stream.

http://www.umm.edu/news/releases/zonulin.htm

The best defense we have so far against developing other autoimmune diseases is the gluten free diet.