Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aadensmom

Gf Playdoh?

My son was just diagnosed a month ago. So we're really new to this new lifestyle. My son is old enough (4 1/2) that I can trust him not to eat playdoh, do I still need to be concerned about him playing with it in his preschool class? Do you think that thurough hand washing is enough? I dont' know where to draw the line when it comes to being too paranoid about cross-contamination??? Anyone have any feed back?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Why risk it?? I don't think that saying play-dough is off limits is being too paranoid.

They make a wonderful gluten free playdough that can be used instead. It is sort of expensive, but from what I understand the bucket comes with TONS of dough so it is worth the money. You could provide a bucket for the preschool for all the children to use instead of regular play dough.

You can find the gluten free playdough here: http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/produc...7566&redir=true

I know when I was younger (not gluten-free) I would play with the stuff, it would get under finger nails and be there for DAYS! GROSS!! It definately has potential to harm a child with celiac.

Hope that helps.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Yeah I wouldn't risk it...you know how kids touch things,touch their mouth, etc. Make sure they do not give him any food that contains gluten. I used to work at a daycare and they are pretty careless.

I don't think it's overly paranoid at all. How many 4 1/2 year-old think to wash their hands before every meal? And then make sure every particle of playdoh is washed off, make sure none is under his nails, etc. Better to be safe than sorry.

Guest nini

my daughter would also break out in hives all over after she had been playing with play dough, it took me a while to figure out what was causing it. imagine if it does that to her skin, what was gluten doing to her insides???

I make an awesome playdough that is cheap to make and better than the "real" stuff... PM me if you are interested. I will sell it pre made at my cost, OR give you the basic recipe so that you can make it yourself.