wilem008

Gluten Free Foods That Are Low In Carbs....

Rate this topic

Im trying to lose a bit of weight...well between 8 and 10kg actually and im just wondering which gluten free foods are low in carbs?

I know I need to stay away from potatoes but are there any types of rice that are better than others? eg. I hear Basmati rice is lower in carbs than Jasmine rice....

What about gluten-free pasta? eg. Rice pasta - is that high or low in carbs?

and what about gluten-free Flour eg. Rice or Maize Flour?

What other foods are safe for me to eat and still low in carbs?

Thanks!

Wilem

I'd recommend looking for complex carbohydrates, like brown rice, quinoa, teff, millet, and flax (and products made from these, like brown rice flour and pasta, quinoa pasta, etc.). Whole-grain carbs give you fiber, not just sugar and starch. Also, some vegetables are starchy (like green beans, corn, peas, and potatoes) and tend to have less nutritional value than non-starchy vegetables, like broccoli and greens. Fruits have some carbohydrates, but they're not as bad as things like white rice, and you really need the antioxidants and other nutrients in fruit. Plus, it's summer! All the yummiest fruit is in season, and it's much better for you than candy! Look for higher-fiber fruits like berries and apples over lower-fiber fruits like grapes and bananas, because they'll keep you full. Also, lean proteins like chicken and fish are free of carbohydrates but won't send your body into a tailspin the way high-fat meats will (after eight years of watching my dad go on and off Atkins, I really don't think high-fat/protein and really low carbs is the way to go, because he is not healthy and his weight is constantly yo-yo-ing from normal to really overweight).

Good luck!

You'll drop the lbs faster if you leave the grains out altogether. Berries, greens, protein, fats (olive oil) are better choices for weight loss.

There is no rice that is low in carbs.

Low carb foods are plain meats, fish, cheese, nuts and non starchy vegetables.

Right - I never said rice was LOW in carbs, just that it's got added nutritive value in the form of fiber and protein. She was looking for healthier grains in addition, I believe, and weight loss advice. I did not mean to be misleading in my response, I apologize.

I'd cut out all grains, stick to meat, veggies and lower sugar fruits like berries. If you need some good low carb support (lots of gluten intolerants there too) there's a good active forum I can point you to if you PM me.

I think a lot of that depends on your own body. When I went very low carb the lean meats I was eating did not have enough dietary fat to satisfy me or my hypoglycemia. If you can tolerate them, that's fine but I needed additional fat to get through the day. I needed some days with chicken that was bone in, eggs cooked in butter and added coconut milk to my smoothies. Also every salad had avocado.

I would say follow a diet that you've chosen but if your blood sugar seems too low, add some dietary fat back in.

I'd cut out all grains, stick to meat, veggies and lower sugar fruits like berries. If you need some good low carb support (lots of gluten intolerants there too) there's a good active forum I can point you to if you PM me.

Hi Nancy

I am unable to PM you.

Can you PM me the info on the low carb forum? or email me at Laurossi@aol.com

Thank you

Laura