mindyandy420

Celiac Fact And Figures

Rate this topic

I have been researching as much as I can about this disease (I believe this is my problem).

My situation is my mother is Japanese who moved to the US over 30 years ago. Shortly after she moved here she experienced (dont know if this is the first experience) vomiting and diareah (sp?) bad. She was so sick they thought she was dying. No explaination why. I remember her telling me this.

Growing up I watched her doubled over in pain and having to go to the bathroom all the time. There were times she would vomit. She also sometimes get these strange rashes everywhere on her body. She has recently found out she is diabetic. I cannot get her to go to the doctors because she never likes to go and no insurance.

I understand celiac in asians are rarer than in white people.

Is there anybody here with asian decent?

I'm just curious.

www.uchicagokidshospital.org shows asian american 1:236.

She does sound like she could be one of us.

I am not of obvious asian descent but when a celiac gene panel was done I carry not one but two genes, one from each parent, that are recognized as being celiac genes in the Asian populations. These genes are also linked to a rare (in the US) for of adult type 1 diabetes found in people of asian descent.

With the rash that is occuring she may have the skin form of celiac, dermatitis herpeformis, DH for short. She can see a dermatologist while the rash is active and ask for a biopsy specifically for DH. They will biopsy the tissue next to the lesions not the lesions themselves.

I should also note that although the presence of celiac was thought to be rare in the Japanese populations it is now being diagnosed more often as their diet becomes more Western.

It would be advisable for her to get celiac screening done but if she is firmly against it a good strict trial of a gluten free diet may help.

I have a colleague from mainland China who experienced exactly what your mother did.

He is now (after nearly 30 years) gluten-free and feeling much, much better.

ravenwoodglass, I'd be interested in hearing more about that gene and the form of diabetes. You can p.m. me if you'd prefer and don't mind sharing.

To the OP, my husband was born and raised in Japan. I'm caucasian. My son was gene tested with Enterolabs and he doesn't have the main celiac disease genes but had some identified as gluten sensitivity-interestingly from BOTH parents. I was suprized to see that and really wondered about it.