blancasagro

When I'm Suppose To Feel Better

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with Celiac on Monday, I've been 3 days without gluten, today I woke up today not feeling well. Had a lot of pain, cramps. I was feeling much better since today. When should I start to feel ok not perfect but ok

Welcome to the group!

A lot depends on how quickly your body can heal (it gets slower as you age) and how much damage there was. Did you have an endoscopy? If your villi were completely destroyed (category IV) then it could take a long time to heal... as long as one or two years... but you should feel better and better as you go along on the gluten-free diet. Some people also find that they need to restrict other foods--especially dairy, soy, corn, nightshades, citrus, and/or grains in general--either because of an intolerance that was unmasked by the gluten-free diet, or because their weakened digestive system can't handle it.

In the meantime... you might want to ask your doctor about taking Tylenol or an H2 antihistamine (Pepcid, Levsin, Zantac) for the abdominal pain... or you could try an herbal remedy. Actually, if you poke around there are lots of posts about how to soothe your digestive system while you're healing.

I have been on a gluten-free diet since August 2008, and I'm still not 100%. Although I am now able to tolerate yogurts, I still have some problems with lactose. I am also having problems digesting protein right now, which is causing me constipation. My intestinal damage went to severe blunting to mild blunting. I'm improving, but I'm not there yet.

It can take anywhere from 1-2 years to heal. I know that's not fun to hear, but it's the truth, and I am amongst many to prove it. You will get better, but depending on your age, it may take awhile. If you're younger, more power to you, as it will not take as long.

My GI doctor told me I would feel better immediately. HA!

Anyway, I am currently on short-term disability because of problems digesting protein, which I need right now because I lost so much weight until I understood why I was so severely backed up (protein...that's why). Still working on getting better but hope to get there soon.

Good luck to you, and I hope it doesn't take you as long to heal as it does me.

I had an endoscopy yesterday the doctor didn't say much, just that I needed to go to the nutritionist, and I have an appointment in two weeks for the result of the biopsy The paper said i have non erosive esophagitis and gastrtitis, and I've been taking Prevacid for a while. I'm 26... that's young enough to heal fast? ;) Well I hope so. I had diarrhea constantly for one month, and I feel exhausted. Have an appointment on Monday with the nutritionist I'm just praying to God that she can give me good advice, now I know that I can't eat any gluten but I have my doubts about other foods. I just lost like 12 pounds, that doesn't sound so bad when you hear other stories, now I weigh 98 pounds I just hope to keep there for the moment.

Hello.

I just got diagnosed last Thursday. I'm still a little achey myself but hopeful & doing really well so far. I really don't see myself cheating---knowingly anyway. It's seeming to be very hard to learn what to eat & not eat, but i'm getting the hang of it. Good luck to you.

I was diagnosed with Celiac on Monday, I've been 3 days without gluten, today I woke up today not feeling well. Had a lot of pain, cramps. I was feeling much better since today. When should I start to feel ok not perfect but ok

It took me months to feel "normal" again. I S-L-O-W-L-Y started feeling better after several days, but it was an up and down battle for many weeks.

richard

I can say that I've been better, is really a slowly recovery, but now I see that every day is getting a bit better. I went today to the nutritionist, and I'm very motivated with her advice. I bet in a couple of weeks I will be OK. The forum has helped me so much, I was lost, but I know I'm in the right direction