NorthernElf

Kettle Chips - Labelled Gluten Free

Rate this topic

Curious if anyone else has had a reaction to these. The salt & vinegar flavor is delicious - nice vinegar flavor ! The bag says gluten free but my intestinal tract says otherwise. I didn't have a very big reaction but just a mild headache and loose stools, stomach cramps, and gas ! Anyway, I also don't tolerate a lot of fat well so I was wondering if it was that or the possible contamination. Anyone ?

I haven't had any issues with the plain ones. Haven't tried the salt and vinegar yet.

I have tried the organic (light yellow bag), plain (the dark brown bag) and thai spice (the orangey-red bag).

I have found that I cannot eat very many of these or I am in trouble. It isn't a gluten reaction (multiple bout of D in a short period for me) exactly, so I suspect it is the carbs or the oil. I think these are made on dedicated lines.

I actually emailed them a while ago. They said that all their chips are gluten-free since they do not manufacture any products in that facility that contain wheat/gluten. There was one flavor that did contain gluten but it was discontinued a while.

I would attribute any reaction to the fats and oils.

I've been eating the NY Cheddar variety without any issues. However they are pretty high in fat. I would say that might be the issue.

I think I had reaction. I'm not sure. But ever since eating them, I've had health issues with my intestines. I'm staying away. Better safe than sorry.

Yeah, don't eat 'em. Every time I've tried them I've reacted. The bag doesn't deserve the gluten free label that is put on them.

Those that are reacting to the salt and vinegar ones may be one of the celiacs who is reactive to gluten grain vinegars and alcohols. Technically since the FDA considers distilled vinegars and alcohols to be gluten-free they are allowed to call them gluten free.

Here's the email I received from them:

Dear Geoff:

Thanks for your inquiry regarding gluten in Kettle brand products. All ingredients are listed on the bags, so you are able to tell which products have gluten in the ingredients. None of our Kettle Brand

The plain ones and the oprganic ones have a very simple ingredients list-- potatoes, oil, salt.

I truly don't think it is gluten in these. However, the point about the vinegar is well taken and there are some people here who react to spices too. Perhaps it is a question of sensitivity.

Yeah, don't eat 'em. Every time I've tried them I've reacted. The bag doesn't deserve the gluten free label that is put on them.

We love them but unfortunately both my son and I react to both plain and vinegar/flavored ones.

I think it's either CC in processing or maybe we are reacting to the oil. I think safflower oil is the culprit - maybe it is contaminated. I've had the same problem with other chips that have safflower oil. I haven't researched but maybe safflower is grown near wheat/barley fields? Not sure.

I do not react to Ruffles, Doritos or Fritos but I eat them infrequently.