This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Is It Normal To Feel Sick In The Morning?

mytummyhurts

mytummyhurts Contributor

I've been gluten free for a couple months now. (At least as far as I know.) But I still feel icky (upset stomach, lightheaded) in the mornings before I eat. Is that a celiac thing? And is it normal? Maybe it's low blood sugar?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

how long have you been gluten free?is there anything that can be slipping in? have you checked lipsticks etc.? for some people it takes longer to feel better ...took me 3 months to get feeling alot better then another couple months to get back to normal.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Funny--I used to feel the EXACT SAME WAY every morning. The last few months (until I had my surgery and then everything went away). But anyway, just saying that I felt the same way--lightheaded in the morning, sometimes a little nauseous, and a...not achey stomach, but...it didn't feel great. I knew I was 100% gluten-free, because I had had a biopsy done just a month or so before that said my villi were 100% healed...and I still eat the same diet now and don't get that symptom. Anyway, just saying I was in the same boat ;)

mytummyhurts Contributor

It is very possible that I could be getting some gluten in my diet somewhere, I haven't researched any of my lipsticks or anything. I don't wear those very often though. What's weird is it usually only in the morning.

celiac3270-If you don't mind me asking, what was your surgery for?

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Do you wear lotions, etc that cous have gluten? I had an accident a few months ago where I used some lip balm that had vitamin E that come to find out had wheat in it. I got a bad reaction from it. I ended up just throwing all of my lipsticks away and getting a brand that was soley gluten free. Hope you feel better soon....mornings were worse for me too when I used to have symptoms.

Also if your husband has gluten and kisses you that can get gluten ingested. He should mouthwash or brush his teeth with a gluten free product before he kisses you. That can also cause reactions...I don't knwo if he is gluten free with you but something to think of

Peaches503 Newbie

I usually feel the same way, but I know that I wasn't gluten free. I also feel that way if I haven't eaten anything. I'm the kind of person who passes out easily and frequently. It could have something to do with how many hours you go without eating. Try to keep your blood sugar more stable by eating smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day. That might help.

ianm Apprentice

It will take more than a couple of months to feel better. It was 3 months when I started to get better and a good year before I could say I was healthy. Look very carefully at the foods you are eating because you may be getting some gluten from something. It takes a while to get a diet established and learn where to find hidden gluten. Your body has been poisoned for a long time so it takes time for all of that to get out your body and for it to heal. There is no instant cure but keep at it because it is worth it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator
It is very possible that I could be getting some gluten in my diet somewhere, I haven't researched any of my lipsticks or anything. I don't wear those very often though. What's weird is it usually only in the morning.

celiac3270-If you don't mind me asking, what was your surgery for?

Malrotated intestines--but that's a problem that's usually caught in infancy--they took 14 years to find that I had it. It's pretty rare, also, and I don't think that the nausea was related to the malrotation. I don't know what it was from--all I know is that it's gone now and that's all that matters :)

Sure--lipstick/chapstick/anything that goes on your lips should be checked. Some of it will always get in your mouth and if it isn't gluten-free, it'll cause intestinal damage, and perhaps symptoms.

Peaches503 Newbie

I have a question for all of those that have had this for a while. How important is it to be sure that celiacs are also using gluten-free products, such as lotions, shampoos, etc., even if we don't have dermatitis herpetiformis? I've been gluten-free for 2 weeks, but havent felt much of a difference. But, I noticed that I am using 2 lotions regularly that contain gluten sources. Obviously I am going to get rid of these, but I was just wondering exactly how important it was to not use them, even if I don't have that skin condition.

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Peaches:

I hadn't considered that lotion, make-up, lipsticks etc. could have gluten until I read one of Kaiti's posts. But it makes sense that gluten could get in our bodies that way. I am just now learning about these items, like I said I had never even considered it. I think Kaiti has a post that links to a site that has gluten-free products.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Well lipstick is pretty much essential because it is right on lips. Lotions containing gluten can possibly get on food you eat. If you have wheat in your hair its easy to get to your mouth. I just stick with all gluten-free products even though I do not have DH it is much safer and the possibility of contamination is lower that way.

Rikki Tikki Explorer

Hi Kaiti:

What was the link that went to the site that had the gluten-free lotions etc.?

mytummyhurts Contributor

Wow! It's amazing how many things we have to watch out for! It very well could be in my chapstick or lotions. It's bad enough that we have to worry about foods, now this stuff too! You know I was just thinking as I was biting my nail <_< that I do that a lot and that's one way I could be ingesting my lotions. I use a lot of different kinds of lotions too. I have about 4 kinds sitting on my desk at work. Do you guys have any recommendations on a good kind that is gluten-free? I also bought a lip gloss at Bath and Body Works a while back and when I used it I felt sick and I wondered if it had gluten in it, so I emailed the company and they never answered me (not B&BW, the company that actually makes it. I think it's something Bigelow's.) I was mad about that!

:angry:

tarnalberry Community Regular

I do feel that way in the morning if I ate a very early dinner, or didn't have a balanced enough meal the night before. So for me, I do know it's a blood sugar thing. If it goes away within half an hour if you eat, that's a big sign that it's blood sugar. (Of course, checking for other things is always a good thing! :-) )

ianm Apprentice

I never had any skin problems but if I use shampoo with gluten in it my scalp really itches.

Guest ajlauer
He should mouthwash or brush his teeth with a gluten free product before he kisses you.

LOL.

I was just thinking of my husbands reaction if I was to say to him, "Sorry honey, can't kiss you right now. You need to brush your teeth." I don't know that he'd ever try to kiss me again!!!

Guest ajlauer
Sure--lipstick/chapstick/anything that goes on your lips should be checked. Some of it will always get in your mouth...

I heard a few years ago that the average woman ingests 400 pounds of whale fat in her lifetime - just from wearing lipstick! YuK!!!!!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

WOW!! That is pretty gross.... :o

Archived