GlutenFreePi

Four Years To Recover?

Rate this topic

Hello Everyone. I've had Celiac for 4 years now. I posted here a few times before, but I lost my password and couldn't get the retrieval form to work, so today I opened up a new account. :lol:

It has taken years to build up my energy and endurance. I am finally strong enough to work 20 hours a week and take more than one college course at a time. Before 2009 I was physically overwhelmed by any amount of walking or light-moderate exercise. Sometimes I have trouble getting people to believe me about my physical weakness since I don't look sick anymore!

At diagnosis, I was bed-ridden from the damage to my intestine. I was only in my early 20's and felt like I had a 65 year old body. I could hardly eat food period. For the first 2 years I could only eat chicken, fish, corn pasta, and yams. Occasionally I had gluten-free cake or muffins. I couldn't have anything dense like vegetables and had trouble drinking liquids, especially water because it irritated the lining of the stomach and intestine. By the 3rd year I was able to eat non-acidic fruits like cherries and blueberries, and limited cooked vegetables. During year 3 I was also able to tolerate a few gluten free sauces and vegetable stir-fry's. During year 4 I've been able to add apples including the skin and white rice first, then finally built up to brown rice without getting too much irritation. I still can't eat white potatoes, acidic fruits or raw vegetables. I can almost tolerate water on an empty stomach, as long as it's not a really big cup. I haven't eaten in a restaurant since before I was diagnosed.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with such a slow recovery? I was sick for years before I was diagnosed and that means lots of damage.

Glutenfreepi,

I think the recovery time after a Celiac diagnoses is very individual. It has taken me almost three years to feel I am finally recovered, and I am finally 100 % gluten free. My symptoms were never as severe as yours were, yet I felt I wanted to die after eating because of the cramping, diarrhea, and the depression I had all the time. I don't know how many fun times with family and friends I lost because I did not feel good.

If it takes you four or five years to feel good again, that may just be how long it takes your body to recover. If you are concerned about it to the point of needing medical advise, find a good doctor who can guide you and maybe give you more tests to make sure nothing else is wrong, too. If you already have that good doctor, go to him or her with you concerns.

Read, find information on this web site and others, and try to weed out the wrong information that unfortunately still is out there.

Good luck! Hang in there! You are on the right track!