Serversymptoms

Eating Gluten Free Bread, Feel Drowsy After Intake

Rate this topic

After I eat my gluten free bread, I feel drowsy etc.... I notice everytime I feel like the lump on the back of my head is trying to improve, and other symptoms my intake of gluten free bread ( or bread in general) was a lot lower than previous times. What could this be? I always suspected I could have a yeast allergy.... also noting that everytime I eat my gluten free bread I place jelly on top of it ( Smuckers Concord Grape Jelly).

Things I'm nearly 90% sure I'm allergic to:

Monosodium Glutamate

Gluten

Things I suspect:

Yeast *

Peanuts

* Suspect/ more aware of this allergn at a higher level

All in all, I'll be glad when I can become healthy again.

This might be because you are getting to many carbs and sugar with no protein to balance things out. Have you tried any of the other nut butters? Do you get the same effect say after having toast with some eggs and sausage or bacon? Try some protein with your bread and jelly and see if the same thing happens.

A lot of the important part of our digestion happens in the small intestine. For example, that is where we release lactase in order to digest lactose, and it is where we handle sugars as well. If your small intestine is damaged, you may find it needs time to repair before you can digest lots of foods very well.

I have been gluten free for two years and still cannot do dairy (though I test negative for casein intolerance) and I believe certain sugars (sorbitol in peaches? fructose in apples/pears?) are difficult for me.

You'll find that you have to adjust your diet much more than just the gluten - but know that once you start to heal, AND balance out, you should be able to eat just about whatever you're not legitimately allergic/intolerant to.

In the meantime, it often helps to use digestive enzymes and if you have low stomach acid (you need it to digest B12, etc.), you might need HCI supplementation. I'm not for supplments in general, but those two plus probiotics (acidophilous) for a wee spell, and hopefully you can get back on track.

(For me, too much sugar makes me tired; too heavy of food makes me tired; and sometimes eating anything would make me tired - this could mean that your digestion is difficult, so it is taking your energy.)

Good luck.

Your suspicion of a yeast allergy is justified if you are sensitive to MSG, since yeast does have glutamic acid. Have you tried baking powder risen bread, muffins, biscuits, etc? What's the brand of bread you are eating? Some are subject to CC. What are the ingredients in the bread?

I've read some jellies/jams can have gluten, so it's probably a good idea to double-check.

Try the bread without the jelly, and see what happens. Try the jelly by itself too, if you're uncertain. You could also make your own sugar-free jelly, using Stevia.

Thanks for replies

I will try most of the suggestions posted

I have been purchasing lately bread from Meijers ( I think).

Few names:

Kinnikinnick foods: White Sandwhich Bread

In the last few days:

Food forLife What & gluten Free White Rice Bread

Ingredients: White Rice Flour, Filtered Water, Honey, Safflower Oil, Vegetable Gum (Xanthan, Cellulose), Fresh Yeast, Sea Salt.

(This product is processed and packaged in a facillity that also processes tree nuts)

Thanks for replies

I will try most of the suggestions posted

I have been purchasing lately bread from Meijers ( I think).

Few names:

Kinnikinnick foods: White Sandwhich Bread

In the last few days:

Food forLife What & gluten Free White Rice Bread

Ingredients: White Rice Flour, Filtered Water, Honey, Safflower Oil, Vegetable Gum (Xanthan, Cellulose), Fresh Yeast, Sea Salt.

(This product is processed and packaged in a facillity that also processes tree nuts)

If you think the issue may be from yeast Ener-g does make a yeast free bread. It has to be microwaved or toasted to be anywhere near palatable but it would be a bead option if yeast is a problem. There are also Chebe mixes which are gluten and yeast free.