The Fluffy Assassin

The Semi-monthly "hey, Can I Eat Anything At Red Lobster" Thread

Rate this topic

I've already seen the charming email from Darden on an earlier thread, saying basically, "We don't know how to make gluten free food." Has anybody ordered from Red Lobster lately and managed not to get sick? I'm hoping that they'll have another 2-hour wait and I'll be able to persuade the family to go to Ryan's instead like last time. But I'm open to suggestions.

Edit: Got rid of an extra verb.

I think a LOT depends on the one you go to. I've eaten at the one in Bloomington (Indiana) three times without getting sick. I order broiled fish with no seasonings, a plain baked potato, steamed vegetables, and a plain salad with no croutons or dressing... so far so good! :P I've heard horror stories from some other places, but I think this Red Lobster gets a lot of people with special diets (college town).

I think a LOT depends on the one you go to. I've eaten at the one in Bloomington (Indiana) three times without getting sick. I order broiled fish with no seasonings, a plain baked potato, steamed vegetables, and a plain salad with no croutons or dressing... so far so good! :P I've heard horror stories from some other places, but I think this Red Lobster gets a lot of people with special diets (college town).

It's the next morning and I still feel OK (I'm pretty much silent celiac, but if I can sleep through the night without getting runs I figure that I haven't been glutened). I had steamed salmon (not on the menu, but they were willing) and vast quantities of steamed broccoli. From past threads, I decided not to trust the potato or salad, though from your experience I'm sure they would have been fine. The salmon tasted like they had put the butter-flavored oil on it, and they certainly peppered it, but it all worked out. The waitress was ultra-nice and accommodating. She didn't know anything about celiac sprue or gluten, but was willing to learn. For Columbians, this was the Cayce location, and a good experience.

We ate there last weekend. We were out of town and had g.c. from my parents.

It went fine.

I had steamed crab legs, brocolli w/ no seasoning and a baked potato w/ real butter on the side.

I had no reaction and the crab legs were awesome! It was nice to go out to eat and have something I don't make at home. I get sick of plain salmon and steamed veggies. I *can* do that at home.

My waitress was very nice and the manager went back and tagged my food for allergies herself. The waitress' mom actually has celiac disease, so that helped. :)

Glad it worked out for you, and welcome to the board, and to the diet.

We ate there last weekend. We were out of town and had g.c. from my parents.

It went fine.

I had steamed crab legs, brocolli w/ no seasoning and a baked potato w/ real butter on the side.

I had no reaction and the crab legs were awesome! It was nice to go out to eat and have something I don't make at home. I get sick of plain salmon and steamed veggies. I *can* do that at home.

My waitress was very nice and the manager went back and tagged my food for allergies herself. The waitress' mom actually has celiac disease, so that helped. :)