NYCCeliacMom

Really Great Chocolate Almond Cake Recipe

Rate this topic

I have baked a chocolate almond cake from a recipe in this month's Gluten Free Living magazine (the issue is 2/2009) two times. The recipe author is Jacqueline Mallorca from her book The Wheat-Free Cook, Gluten -Free Recipes for Everyone. The main ingredients is almond flour, which is pricey, but it was really worth it to eat something moist and delicious. It was quick to make as well.

Would you believe it! I bought that magazine today at Borders and it's right here next to me on the table! :D

Have not had a chance to open it, but will definitely check out that recipe--it sounds fantastic!

You can get almond meal/almond flour at Trader Joe's for about $4 per bag. I use it in just about everything. It's not made from blanched almonds like the Bob's stuff, but it works quite good. I use it in lieu of breadcrumbs in a lot of things too.

You can get almond meal/almond flour at Trader Joe's for about $4 per bag. I use it in just about everything. It's not made from blanched almonds like the Bob's stuff, but it works quite good. I use it in lieu of breadcrumbs in a lot of things too.

Is the Trader Joes almond meal dark because the skins are left on? Just curious. Do you make things like breaded chicken with it? My kids miss that.

Is the Trader Joes almond meal dark because the skins are left on? Just curious. Do you make things like breaded chicken with it? My kids miss that.

I DO make breaded chicken with almond meal. The TJ's stuff is dark because the almonds aren't blanched.

For breaded chicken, I use about 1/2 almond meal, 1/2 cornmeal and some Italian Spices or Herbes de Provence, garlic powder and salt and pepper. If I'm feeling clever, sometimes I'll throw in some Parmesan in there.

I use egg to "glue" the breading on chicken and fry it up in olive oil and butter.

The only thing that's not great is that it soaks up a lot of oil, so it's a bit fattier than I'd like. But it's a lovely alternative to Italian style breadcrumbs.