Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VegasCeliacBuckeye

"you Might Be A Celiac If....."

Just to keep things on a disgusting note since it seems like you guys like the dirty humor...

In an unofficial farting contest between you and your friends that have just eaten White Castle, you are the clear winner and they are forced to clear out of the room and are thoroughly disgusted with you.

Enough with the gross ones...

You try to justify being Celiac because you are healthier than people that consume gluten.

Rob

27yrs old

Astoria, NY

Gluten-free since May 1999-- My 10 yr anniversary is coming up!

Lactose Intolerant since March 2006

I thought some of the newer members might enjoy seeing this. For the last compilation, see page 15, or this link:

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...ost&p=98582

Thanks for all the laughs!! Some I didn't quite understand - because I was too little when it all first happened. But I loved reading the whole list!! Here's one that wasn't quite mentioned:

You know you're a Celiac when you rush to your car from the grocery store after finding out that Corn Pops added wheat starch to their ingredients - and you cried and cried and cried!! :( (It was the cereal I grew up eating - one of the only ones that was gluten-free ....and if it weren't for this forum I probably wouldn't even realize they added the wheat.) Then you wish you could send a nasty, hateful letter to Kellogs and hope that one little person could convince them to change it back!

OR - you know you're a Celiac when you finally find the new boxes of Trix that no longer contain wheat starch and you buy a huge supply of them and eat them at least once a day for weeks on end! Yum Yum Yum!! And you want to send a wonderful, loving letter to that company to tell them what a great job they're doing!! :)

Diagnosed by biopsy with Celiac at age 1 in 1984.

No other health problems.

Hubby - no health problems.

Mallory (2 year old daughter) - no known health problems at this time.

Hannah (born 04/02/07) - no problems yet!

Family - no one diagnosed with Celiac - ever - to our knowledge. (Lucky me!)

You know you're a celiac when:

- You jump for joy when you see another human in the gluten-free section of the grocery store

- You jump for joy when there IS a gluten-free section in the grocery store

- You start to think that you must have three heads, since everyone looks at you like you do

- You've had a fast food worker shout from the rooftops: "What do you mean YOU DON'T WANT NO BUN?!?"

- You carry wet wipes, perfume, and a mini bottle of air-freshener everywhere you go

- You know that oust works much better than glade

- Your co-workers installed a double strength plug-in in the office bathroom

- You know what xanthan gum, guar gum, and tapioca starch are

- You know how to pronounce amaranth and quinoa

- You're considering tattooing your 2 minute spiel about gluten intolerance/celiac on your forehead because you're sick of explaining

- You wonder how people can ask, "white bread doesn't have wheat in it, right?"

- You carry a set of pots and pans with utensils and the contents of your fridge with you everywhere you go

- You know 3000000 different ways to prepare potatoes and rice

- You wear a hazmat suit to go to your mom's house

Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy

We'll all float on, alright

Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

...you get really enthusiatic and excited when you find out there might be a convention for people with your food intolerance.

...you've once entertained the thought of moving to China for the only reason that they might use less of a certain food.

...if you've fantasized about a whole city or county or even state becoming absolutely gluten-free by law.

Dan

Negative blood work

gluten-free since 3/5/06

I thought of a few silly ones, sorry if they are redundant in theme....

-you have perfected the art of "store hopping", going from store to store around town to get all of your gluten-free foods because there is not one store that carries everything you need

-the letters "d" and "c" actually have meaning, and it isn't good :unsure:

-your new circle of friends include Amy, Pamela, Bette, and Bob

-your vocabulary expands to include interesting words like Chebe, Kinnikkinnick, and Xanthan Gum

I thought of a few silly ones, sorry if they are redundant in theme....

-you have perfected the art of "store hopping", going from store to store around town to get all of your gluten-free foods because there is not one store that carries everything you need

-the letters "d" and "c" actually have meaning, and it isn't good :unsure:

-your new circle of friends include Amy, Pamela, Betty, and Bob

-your vocabulary expands to include interesting words like Chebe, Kinnikkinnick, and Xanthan Gum

LOL those are good. a couple more:

- you have a good friend whose nickname is "D" and suddenly you feel a little strange about calling her that...

- you get really annoyed with a person who dips a cracker in your hummus (my friend D recently did that, ironically enough)

- you even question the ingredients in things like apples and cucumbers

- you ask a friend to take a picture of you eating gluten-free pizza, just to document the fact that you actually ate pizza...

- cubicle life is a little less boring because at least you have your friends at celiac.com to keep you company throughout the day :lol:

-you dance around the grocery store after finding Food For Life Brown Rice Tortillas for the first time, and then for the next two days you put everything you eat in a tortilla :ph34r:

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

- you have a good friend whose nickname is "D" and suddenly you feel a little strange about calling her that...

- you get really annoyed with a person who dips a cracker in your hummus (my friend D recently did that, ironically enough)

- you even question the ingredients in things like apples and cucumbers

- you ask a friend to take a picture of you eating gluten-free pizza, just to document the fact that you actually ate pizza...

- cubicle life is a little less boring because at least you have your friends at celiac.com to keep you company throughout the day :lol:

-you dance around the grocery store after finding Food For Life Brown Rice Tortillas for the first time, and then for the next two days you put everything you eat in a tortilla :ph34r:

:lol: Mango

Your friend "D" dipped her cracker in your hummus

You know you are celiac if:

You have a deep hatred for those silly motion sensor toilets in public washrooms. For someone who uses the double flush, or triple flush technique of going to the bathroom, those motion sensor toilets just don't cut it..... How can we hide the sound and smell of going to the bathroom when we can't flush while we're going?????? <_<:angry:

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Hey Karen - There's usually a little button on the little control box that you can push to flush. Not sure if it works while you're still sitting, but I would think so.

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it.

~Chinese Proverb

I thought so too! Because there are usually buttons on the ones I have encountered before.... But this particular location, couldn't find a button if my life depended on it! :lol: Unless they had it hidden underneath the bowl or something! Just give me the good ole lever kind any ole day!

Hugs.

Karen

Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy

Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism

endometriosis (at age 20)

spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.

Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs

Rhiannon 8 yrs

Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."

Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.

-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."

Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."

Unknown

Gee, I've never seen a button :blink: Never thought to look :D

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

-- You try to explain to your friends about www.glutenfreeforum.com as an "online support group" and they laugh at you and call you "weird"

Yup, try explaining the entire "cult" we've formed (it's our own gluten-free paradise called RAchelville) on the "OMG I think I can eat dairy" thread......lunacy on that one..... :blink:

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

Oh yeah! My daughter actually DID take a picture of me eating pizza that I actually ordered in a pizza place, rather than making it myself. My whole family celebrated with me. The pizza place actually even had goat cheese, so I got cheese on it!

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

You might be a coeliac if you panic when someone is wanting to use the loo after you.

You might be a coeliac if when using a public toilet, you sneak out when nobody else is around.

Just found this thread and it is wonderfully funny, if not quite serious.

You might be celiac if you ever thought of wheat bread as your nemesis.

Dan

Negative blood work

gluten-free since 3/5/06

Thank you to everyone who had suggestions! This was over the top funny. At one point I was laughing so hard I cried. That hardly ever happens! You know your a celiac if your friends and family look at your gluten free beer and ask " why is your beer made with sour-gum?"

On the same note, someone tries to taste your beer and your first reaction is to scream "NONONONONONO!!!!!!!!", instead of politely saying, please don't put your lips on my drink. B) Yeah, 'cause I have never done that!!! :P

Gluten free since 12/05 and feeling better!

if you've ever shoved someone out of their own bathroom...

true story.

also, if you know the location of all the most private stalls at your workplace, campus, etc.

again, true story. ground floor, lewis science center. just in case any of you are ever at the university of central arkansas.

Diagnosed Celiac in February 2006

Villus blunting and positive blood test

again, true story. ground floor, lewis science center. just in case any of you are ever at the university of central arkansas.

I'll remember that next time I'm in Conway...I'm sure it beats the Stoby's bathroom! :blink:

How about--when you don't go ANYWHERE without wipees--even after your children are out of diapers (or even if you've never HAD children)?

Amen! My purse is two pockets short of a diaper bag, and I don't even have kids :rolleyes:

Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy

We'll all float on, alright

Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

-you feel naseous, and you pray that it's the flu

This happened to me the other day, it was either: 1) too much sugared-up cereal, 2) gluten, or 3) the flu. I was really hoping that if I got sick, it would be flu and not gluten. (Fortunately, it was actually just an overdose of Fruity Pebbles).

Enterolab results: 14 October 2006

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0501

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5)

(Yay!)

gluten-free since May 2005

Currently soy and dairy free !

"You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound"

--Psalm 4:7