jasonD2

Accidental Gluten Ingestion

Rate this topic

If someone who is Celiac (and on a strict gluten-free diet) accidentally ingests gluten every once and a while is there a chance they can still develop cancer or severe complications as opposed to someone who is undiagnosed and consumes it for 30-40yrs?

I am very strict w/ my gluten-free diet but occasionally something will slip thru the cracks..its inevitable...I mean there is no way to avoid eating something u cant see know matter how careful you are

Hmmm, given the more severe reaction a person has to gluten after it is taken out of the diet, your question is reasonable. It is also mute. Why worry yourself to death over something you can not control? The best you can do is the best you can do.

I don't think a person with celiac disease that doesn't maintane the diet for 30 or 40 years has the same good health as one who follows the diet. Isn't the figure that following the diet lengthens your life span by 10 years? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm 51 and I feel better than I have for 20 years. I do slip now and then but I'm doing well a year and 1/2 in. I never feel as sick as before.

I don't have the answer you're looking for, but I do know that being glutened is something that will happen from time to time no matter how diligent we are. I recently found out that the Stevia I have been using, which has Maltodextrin in it, is not gluten-free....which explains why I was much much better but not totally well. According to some lists if the Maltodextrin is manufactured in the US it is gluten-free. I discovered that the Stevia I have been using is from Columbia, and I went to their website to check it out and it is not gluten free....grrrrrrrrrr. I post this for those that might be using Stevia from other places. Please check it out.

ps...the above comment (samma) is from me, I had to create a second account because I couldn't remember my log in...but I got it straightened out...:)

I had the worst glutening to date from eating Stevia two days in a row. It was stevia in packets and I stupidly didn't read the pkge. It was filled with wheat!!

But now I buy NOW Certified Organic Stevia Extract and have no problems with it. I get it at my local health food store.

I had the worst glutening to date from eating Stevia two days in a row. It was stevia in packets and I stupidly didn't read the pkge. It was filled with wheat!!

But now I buy NOW Certified Organic Stevia Extract and have no problems with it. I get it at my local health food store.

I know what you mean, I didn't read mine either...duh....when I saw the word Maltodextrin....I was kind of dumbfounded, better late than never I guess. I'll have to check our health food store for that brand, thanks....:)