ConfusedNeuropathic

Celiac Panel Reliability After Being Gluten Free For 2 Days?

Rate this topic

Hi all,

Is a celiac panel blood test still accurate after being gluten free for 2 days?

I just got blood drawn today (Monday) for a complete celiac panel, but thought back over what I've been eating for the last 2 days (since Saturday), and realized that most of it has been gluten free. This was completely incidental, and I usually do consume bread, pasta, noodles, and other gluten containing foods on a regular basis. Would the 2 days of gluten free eating impact the results of my celiac panel at all? I suspect not but wanted to double check.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

Is a celiac panel blood test still accurate after being gluten free for 2 days?

I just got blood drawn today (Monday) for a complete celiac panel, but thought back over what I've been eating for the last 2 days (since Saturday), and realized that most of it has been gluten free. This was completely incidental, and I usually do consume bread, pasta, noodles, and other gluten containing foods on a regular basis. Would the 2 days of gluten free eating impact the results of my celiac panel at all? I suspect not but wanted to double check.

Thanks in advance!

A 2 day gluten-free diet will not affect testing so you should be OK. I had my blood work done 3 days after starting the diet simply because I could not leave the house until the diarrhea had stopped. No way was I going to venture out anywhere until that happened! :o I knew by then I was a Celiac because diarrhea like that will not stop on it's own, without meds. I told the doctor I had it as they were drawing my blood and lo and behold, when the results came back, I had failed all the tests by extremely large numbers. If my blood work improved because of those 3 days gluten-free, I would shudder to think what the original, gluten filled numbers would have been.

Just remember that a negative does not mean you do not have celiac disease, either. I wish you luck in finding answers!

A 2 day gluten-free diet will not affect testing so you should be OK. I had my blood work done 3 days after starting the diet simply because I could not leave the house until the diarrhea had stopped. No way was I going to venture out anywhere until that happened! :o I knew by then I was a Celiac because diarrhea like that will not stop on it's own, without meds. I told the doctor I had it as they were drawing my blood and lo and behold, when the results came back, I had failed all the tests by extremely large numbers. If my blood work improved because of those 3 days gluten-free, I would shudder to think what the original, gluten filled numbers would have been.

Just remember that a negative does not mean you do not have celiac disease, either. I wish you luck in finding answers!

Hey there, thanks! I figured I was okay but wanted to be sure. I've got my fingers crossed. You got it right about finding answers, to be honest I hope it's celiac because I've been having weird neuropathy and other symptoms (only minor GI symptoms though) for a while now and am growing weary. Lots of other things like HIV, brain tumor, mercury toxicity, multiple sclerosis, thyroiditis, diabetes, and myeloma have been ruled out already via testing so I would actually be a bit relieved if the itching and tingling turns out to be something that I can control via dietary measures :) Sushi, rice, eggs, and fish/seafood in general are already some of my favorite things to eat so I'm ready to party if my tests come back positive and of course ready to :angry: if they come back negative!

Anyhow thanks again!