This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Knee Troubles!

dakota girl

dakota girl Rookie

Hey! It has been a while...I'm always glad I have this forum to come back to. I am having serious knee problems. I thought it was early arthritis, but it is presenting w/ more extreme symptoms....knees so sore(especially behind knee cap) and swollen I can't bend them, weak to the point of buckling, even a trip to the ER they hurt so bad (got vicatin, a brace, and crutches). Around Christmas I was bad, but it's getting worse this time. Does this ring a bell w/ anyone? I had a shot of cortisone in each one in Feb. ...not a fan, but was desperate to try anything....didn't help for long. Please let me know if you all have had anything like this. I go to the doc. next week...I need more info. before then...am afraid he's going to suggest surgery of some kind. Help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

the symptoms you provide are very vague, and could stem from a number of things. especially since you don't talk about any findings from an x-rays or MRIs. I *HIGHLY* recommend finding a good orthopaedist who can help you find out what's going on in your knee.

dakota girl Rookie
the symptoms you provide are very vague, and could stem from a number of things. especially since you don't talk about any findings from an x-rays or MRIs. I *HIGHLY* recommend finding a good orthopaedist who can help you find out what's going on in your knee.

Thx 4 the reply...have had xrays...yup, little cartilage left....arthritis evident. History of arthritis on paternal side only. This just seems more than arthritis pain...isn't it odd that it flares? tightens so that I cry to bend it? swelling also in foot? I go up and down stairs one at a time, and I am only 53. Maybe an MRI will tell me more.

georgie Enthusiast

Knees a sod when they go wrong. I had a knee op 10 years ago that made my knee worse ( they never warn you about that ), and then I fell onto THAT knee two years ago and I think I did more damage. MRI was non conclusive except for a cartilage tear, and I am due for another.

I am about to have Prolotherapy done. It saved me from back surgery 5 years ago ( bulging disc etc ) so maybe it will be as good this time .... Physio keeps telling me the ligaments are inflamed and I KNOW prolo works with ligaments...

Thx 4 the reply...have had xrays...yup, little cartilage left....arthritis evident. History of arthritis on paternal side only. This just seems more than arthritis pain...isn't it odd that it flares? tightens so that I cry to bend it? swelling also in foot? I go up and down stairs one at a time, and I am only 53. Maybe an MRI will tell me more.

no, not at all unusual that arthritis would flare, or get that inflammed. that's quite typical of arthritis. did they say if it was rheumatoid or osteo? are you taking regular anti-inflammatories (even things like bromelain on an empty stomach, or higher doses of omega-3 (assuming no blood clotting issues))? regularly icing after extended walks (if those are possible)? and have you seen a PT? (sometimes, in my experience), PT's are better at separating out some of the other issues contributing towards pain - they do get more one-on-one time with you. ;)

(the reason I'm being so vague is because your symptoms speak to a couple of different things. summed together, the first thing that pops into my mind is just a whole heck of a lot of inflammation (and arthritis can very easily do this). but pain behind the knee cap can be its own specific issue - patellar tendonitis, patellofemoral symptom (which has a couple different mechanical and structural causes). and the buckling can be its own issue as well, from cartilage deteriorizing to meniscal tears getting caught to other things I don't remember. there are a number of specific tests (not lab tests, or machine tests, but moving your leg around/working the leg/watching your gait) that are absolutely necessary to isolate some of these things.)

GlutenGalAZ Enthusiast

Growing up I never had knee problems then about 9 yrs ago I did a cycling class with a friend for the first time errrr and after the class I couldn't really walk... I ended up having to go to my dr to get checked up on and it took around a week or two to be able to walk better and the pain to go down (one of my knees had swelled up). He had told me at the time that it was tendinitis. I had problems with my knee for the next couple of years off and on and mainly when the weather got cold.

My knee when it would act up would swell a little and make a popping feeling not sound when I walked.

I have used ice packs, heating pads, wrapped my knee which I found was the best thing since it help keep it tight. I took Motrin which seemed to help for a long time with the swelling. I always knew when it would start acting up though b/c my knee would start to burn and the pain would start and swell a little. If I caught it soon enough though I could get it to go down and learn from what I was doing around that time what was causing it.

Past couple of years it has gotten a lot better, when I moved and got new insurance they tried to do a rider on me for Chondromalacia

Open Original Shared Link

which was funny b/c the dr never said that was what I had hmmmm. Anyways off topic....

After going gluten free and cutting some other things out of my diet I have noticed my knee getting better. I do have to be carfull about how much exercise I am doing with my knee and how I am sitting or if I am crossing my leg. I have learned how to maintain the knee problem so it does start up I can try to catch it before it gets worse.

Hope this helped... sorry it was a lot of rambling

Hope you can figure out what the problem is and feel better. Good Luck

dakota girl Rookie
Growing up I never had knee problems then about 9 yrs ago I did a cycling class with a friend for the first time errrr and after the class I couldn't really walk... I ended up having to go to my dr to get checked up on and it took around a week or two to be able to walk better and the pain to go down (one of my knees had swelled up). He had told me at the time that it was tendinitis. I had problems with my knee for the next couple of years off and on and mainly when the weather got cold.

My knee when it would act up would swell a little and make a popping feeling not sound when I walked.

I have used ice packs, heating pads, wrapped my knee which I found was the best thing since it help keep it tight. I took Motrin which seemed to help for a long time with the swelling. I always knew when it would start acting up though b/c my knee would start to burn and the pain would start and swell a little. If I caught it soon enough though I could get it to go down and learn from what I was doing around that time what was causing it.

Past couple of years it has gotten a lot better, when I moved and got new insurance they tried to do a rider on me for Chondromalacia

Open Original Shared Link

which was funny b/c the dr never said that was what I had hmmmm. Anyways off topic....

After going gluten free and cutting some other things out of my diet I have noticed my knee getting better. I do have to be carfull about how much exercise I am doing with my knee and how I am sitting or if I am crossing my leg. I have learned how to maintain the knee problem so it does start up I can try to catch it before it gets worse.

Hope this helped... sorry it was a lot of rambling

Hope you can figure out what the problem is and feel better. Good Luck

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

I have seen grown men cry with the pain from osteoarthritis--and I have seen myself cry with the pain of rheumatoid. I had a knee which was damaged by an imbalance in my sacroiliac so I put undue wear on the inside of my knee, went for years with bone-on-bone with two arthroscopic surgeries before I found this fantabulous ortho suregeon who gave me a partial knee replacement. I had swelling and the patella pain--the patella would get out of the groove and I used to have a chiropractor pop it back for me. I knew I really had to do something about it when my knee started giving way, and one day I fell on the street in front of our mailbox, with traffic coming :o

But when you start talking about physical weakness, that is what the rheumatoid does to me; one day you're just fine and the next day your legs are too weak to climb stairs or get off the john :lol: Always know I'm in for pain then :P

We all hate surgery, but sometimes it is the only option; however, the orthos always like to get at least two surgeries out of it--once (or twice in my case) to have a look and clean things u[ and then again to do what needs to be done :( My first arthro, the doc said that I had a meninscus tear; I got a second opinion from UCSF and he said I had shredded my meniscus.) So you need to make sure you get someone good. But I do think you need an ortho referral if that's not who your appt. is with, and have your PCP test you for rheumatoid factor.

Good luck to you; as someone else said, knees are a bastard.

dakota girl Rookie

Thx 4 all your input! I do have the apt. w/ ortho. this coming week. Am so hoping to be told something definitive...good, bad, or ugly. I know some arthritis, but the escalation is scaring me...I've had to do a lot of computer work the last 2 day, and rode my scooter for @ and hour today, and my right hand is so sore I can barely make a fist. All I have ever taken for pain is Tylenol...because gluten-free...is there an over-the-counter gluten-free med. ok for inflamation? I really don't want to go the Celebrex- type route at age 53! Am I being naive? I already have gone down the seemingly typical celiac route...hypothyroid, so take synthroid, gall bladder removed, usually low iron...how am I going to live to be 95 like my grandmothers??? Again, any and all input is appreciated...support invaluable!

It's raining in Dakota...hope you all have a great wkend!

Thx 4 all your input! I do have the apt. w/ ortho. this coming week. Am so hoping to be told something definitive...good, bad, or ugly. I know some arthritis, but the escalation is scaring me...I've had to do a lot of computer work the last 2 day, and rode my scooter for @ and hour today, and my right hand is so sore I can barely make a fist. All I have ever taken for pain is Tylenol...because gluten-free...is there an over-the-counter gluten-free med. ok for inflamation? I really don't want to go the Celebrex- type route at age 53! Am I being naive? I already have gone down the seemingly typical celiac route...hypothyroid, so take synthroid, gall bladder removed, usually low iron...how am I going to live to be 95 like my grandmothers??? Again, any and all input is appreciated...support invaluable!

It's raining in Dakota...hope you all have a great wkend!

if it's arthritis, you almost certainly want a stronger anti-inflammatory than tylenol! there are herbals/supplements you can use to help the inflammation. higher dose omega-3 (I'm 120lbs, and I take 8g - yes, grams - a day for inflammatory purposes), bromelain (on an empty stomach, otherwise it acts as a digestive enzyme), and quercetin come to mind.

dakota girl Rookie

This is really the first time I've not been able to power through the pain! Allergist was just so adament that I take only tylenol...but that was 3 yrs ago, when pain was manageable. I don't take omega 3...husband does for cholesterol...I should for inflammation?? Is brolemain (sp?) like celebrex?

• 4 weeks later...
Dreamon Newbie

Hey,

I dont know yet if i have an issue with gluten but...I have an issue with my knees too and a strange on....

It started when i was 19, i too thought it was premature arthritis or something...i also think maybe it is because i dont exercice enough..wunnos. I am 27 now.

It's not a permanent pain. IT's more like crisis. I remember the frist time was the most intense, i was at the movie, then i got out and felt so much pain in my knees both of them that i could not walk...I had to call my sister to pick me up because my knees hurted so much. Then i felt the same pain less intensely, but still. especially when i sit for a long time and cannot stretcht my leg too much.

I never had it as bad as the first time...i thought it was the weather , the humidity but it happens even if it's sunny or not or rainy..(sorry for my poor english i am french).

I had rayon X they showed absolutely nothing.

bummer.

This is really the first time I've not been able to power through the pain! Allergist was just so adament that I take only tylenol...but that was 3 yrs ago, when pain was manageable. I don't take omega 3...husband does for cholesterol...I should for inflammation?? Is brolemain (sp?) like celebrex?

sorry I didn't see this sooner.

Yes, omega-3 helps inflammation. That's actually why it's good for the heart; it reduces inflammation of the blood vessels.

And bromelain is a combination of enzymes from pineapple. It can help break down proteins (why is why it's used as a digestive aid when taken with meals) or can act as an anti-inflammatory in the body tissue (when it's taken on an empty stomach). Nothing like celebrex.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I was having similar knee trouble. It was at its worst if I hadn't been moving around for awhile. But my ankles and hands also would be swollen, and I concluded that it was related to protein intake. Once I reduced the amount of protein, and also started taking magnesium, it began to get better. It rarely happens at all now, but still seems related to digestion.

Another thing which has helped is glucosamine. I've been taking it for TMJ, and it has helped with several other joints too.

Diva1 Enthusiast
Hey,

I dont know yet if i have an issue with gluten but...I have an issue with my knees too and a strange on....

It started when i was 19, i too thought it was premature arthritis or something...i also think maybe it is because i dont exercice enough..wunnos. I am 27 now.

It's not a permanent pain. IT's more like crisis. I remember the frist time was the most intense, i was at the movie, then i got out and felt so much pain in my knees both of them that i could not walk...I had to call my sister to pick me up because my knees hurted so much. Then i felt the same pain less intensely, but still. especially when i sit for a long time and cannot stretcht my leg too much.

I never had it as bad as the first time...i thought it was the weather , the humidity but it happens even if it's sunny or not or rainy..(sorry for my poor english i am french).

I had rayon X they showed absolutely nothing.

bummer.

Hi just noticed that you wrote that you were french...so am I ..are you canadian...me I'm from New brunswick

ranger Enthusiast

I've just come off 21/2 weeks of not being able to walk because of my left knee. Not swollen, but intermitant pain and the feeling it was buckleing. I thaught at first it was intensive gardening and getting old, but now not so sure. Right before it started, I had been accidentally glutened 3 weeks in a row! Btw, my garden went to hell!

• 2 weeks later...
JillianLindsay Enthusiast

I've been experiencing serious joint pain for about 2 months now. I am wondering about glucosamine... Do you know if its use for joint health is it well-supported in scientific literature? And do you experience any side-effects from it (i.e. drowsiness, so take it at night)? I am considering giving it a try and if you could share more about your experience it would be much appreciated :)

Thanks,

Jillian

I was having similar knee trouble. It was at its worst if I hadn't been moving around for awhile. But my ankles and hands also would be swollen, and I concluded that it was related to protein intake. Once I reduced the amount of protein, and also started taking magnesium, it began to get better. It rarely happens at all now, but still seems related to digestion.

Another thing which has helped is glucosamine. I've been taking it for TMJ, and it has helped with several other joints too.

Archived