This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Strawberry Allergy?

foodiegurl

foodiegurl Collaborator

Sorry, I know this is not related to gluten, but I wasn't sure where to put it.

Let me start off by saying strawberries have always been my favorite flavor of anything, I love making desserts with them, plus I have about 5 pounds of fresh strawberries in my fridge right now form picking on Monday.

Well, looks like I have a definite strawberry allergy! WTF?!

I had allergy testing last year, and I guess I knew it was possible, since I actually tested 1 on a scale from 0-6 for it, but I continue to eat them to actually prevent getting an allergy, if that makes sense. I tested low for peanuts too, but I continue to eat peanut butter as well.

The one thing that tested hugh was avocados, which I have always hated but knew I wall allergic to, so I didn't mind. But my reaction to strawberries last night and this morning was the same as when I would ever eat avocado.

First, when I went picking Monday, I had a huge allergy reaction...runny nose, all itchy, and red bumps all over my arms. I assumed this was because my arms were brushing against the plants, and I was down low...has this happened to anyone else?

Last night I made this delicious strawberry cake, and afterwards, my mouth got all itchy, as it does on high pollen days, except I already taking Zyrtec. I started thinking it was from the B12 shot I had yesterday, and hoped it would be gone by morning. Well, this morning, I had a slice of cake with my tea...again..itchy mouth, lips, roof of mouth, itchy ear/throat, watery and burning eyes, and runny nose. So, now I know it is indeed the strawberries, and I am just gutted :(

I know both strawberries and avocados are related to birch pollen, I just hope i don't develop more allergies to fruit, like mango and bananas, which I eat everyday, and I also know are related to birth pollen.

Anyone else have a reaction while picking strawberries?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pele Rookie

Hey FG

We are in the midst of strawberry season here, too, and I was thinking about posting on this topic.

If you search the site, you will find that you are not alone in your reaction to strawberries.

I don't know why strawberries are an issue for you, but I can tell you my experience.

For years I have picked and frozen lots of strawberries. My first gluten-free year I went to pick strawberries and had some allergy response, tingly lips, itchiness, and then major digestive upset. I wondered if there was gluten in the wheat straw the berries were grown on. During the year I tried a few frozen berries with disatrous results.

Last season I ate no strawberries at all. This year, after 14 months on the SCD, I tried a berry. No problem. I tried two. No problem. I went out a bought half a flat. Yum. I went and picked 14 pounds and have been eating them daily. No problem.

In my case the strawberry problem was due to my unhealed gut.

foodiegurl Collaborator

Interesting. They were surrounded y straw, I never thought of that being an issue...but I felt an allergic response like I do to avocados, which I know, by testing, I am allergic to. I didn't feel any kind of glutened response.

Oh well, maybe I will try again some day in the future, in the meantime, I hope blueberries and raspberries will be ok for me.

Michi8 Contributor
I know both strawberries and avocados are related to birch pollen, I just hope i don't develop more allergies to fruit, like mango and bananas, which I eat everyday, and I also know are related to birth pollen.

I'd question whether strawberry and avocado allergy are actually related to birch pollen allergy. I've seen various lists of OAS foods for birch, and most have not included those two foods. I, myself, am severely allergic to birch pollen, and have OAS to all tree fruit, potato, sometimes carrot, some tree nuts (almond and hazelnut) as well as peanut (which is likely an allergy to some legumes rather that OAS with birch.) But I have never had a reaction to berries or avocado...I hope I don't, because I'd really like to continue to eat berries!

That said, all the foods I am allergic to raw I can tolerate cooked. So maybe that would be the same for strawberries for you?

BTW, on one OAS list I have, avocado and strawberry allergies can be associated with latex allergy, so that might be worth keeping in mind. (Banana is on the latex list too.)

Michelle

foodiegurl Collaborator
I'd question whether strawberry and avocado allergy are actually related to birch pollen allergy. I've seen various lists of OAS foods for birch, and most have not included those two foods. I, myself, am severely allergic to birch pollen, and have OAS to all tree fruit, potato, sometimes carrot, some tree nuts (almond and hazelnut) as well as peanut (which is likely an allergy to some legumes rather that OAS with birch.) But I have never had a reaction to berries or avocado...I hope I don't, because I'd really like to continue to eat berries!

That said, all the foods I am allergic to raw I can tolerate cooked. So maybe that would be the same for strawberries for you?

BTW, on one OAS list I have, avocado and strawberry allergies can be associated with latex allergy, so that might be worth keeping in mind. (Banana is on the latex list too.)

Michelle

Interesting. I have actually had a latex test last year, and I was negative, and don't seem to react to the gloves or band-aids. However, the last couple of times I have had bananas I have had a stomach ache within an hour...coincidence? This really bums me out, since it is something I always eat in the morning, and I always have plenty on hand.

The strawberries were cooked into a cake both times I was itchy, however the cake was made with almond flour...I wonder if it could be from the almonds. Can you the OAS with almonds?

I still have tons of strawberries in the fridge and kind of want to test it, but am scared. Though it just seems weird that when I was baking the cake, I ate tons of strawberries fresh, and had no problems..maybe it was the almonds?

I know when I did allergy testing last year, I tested low for both strawberries and almonds, but my dr said I should continue to eat them..hmm.....

daphniela Explorer
Sorry, I know this is not related to gluten, but I wasn't sure where to put it.

Let me start off by saying strawberries have always been my favorite flavor of anything, I love making desserts with them, plus I have about 5 pounds of fresh strawberries in my fridge right now form picking on Monday.

Well, looks like I have a definite strawberry allergy! WTF?!

I had allergy testing last year, and I guess I knew it was possible, since I actually tested 1 on a scale from 0-6 for it, but I continue to eat them to actually prevent getting an allergy, if that makes sense. I tested low for peanuts too, but I continue to eat peanut butter as well.

The one thing that tested hugh was avocados, which I have always hated but knew I wall allergic to, so I didn't mind. But my reaction to strawberries last night and this morning was the same as when I would ever eat avocado.

First, when I went picking Monday, I had a huge allergy reaction...runny nose, all itchy, and red bumps all over my arms. I assumed this was because my arms were brushing against the plants, and I was down low...has this happened to anyone else?

Last night I made this delicious strawberry cake, and afterwards, my mouth got all itchy, as it does on high pollen days, except I already taking Zyrtec. I started thinking it was from the B12 shot I had yesterday, and hoped it would be gone by morning. Well, this morning, I had a slice of cake with my tea...again..itchy mouth, lips, roof of mouth, itchy ear/throat, watery and burning eyes, and runny nose. So, now I know it is indeed the strawberries, and I am just gutted :(

I get red bumps all over my arms when I eat large quantities of strawberries. I beleive I am allergic to them, but I eat them anyways. I just try not to overdo it so I dont get a rash.

Michi8 Contributor
Interesting. I have actually had a latex test last year, and I was negative, and don't seem to react to the gloves or band-aids. However, the last couple of times I have had bananas I have had a stomach ache within an hour...coincidence? This really bums me out, since it is something I always eat in the morning, and I always have plenty on hand.

The strawberries were cooked into a cake both times I was itchy, however the cake was made with almond flour...I wonder if it could be from the almonds. Can you the OAS with almonds?

I still have tons of strawberries in the fridge and kind of want to test it, but am scared. Though it just seems weird that when I was baking the cake, I ate tons of strawberries fresh, and had no problems..maybe it was the almonds?

I know when I did allergy testing last year, I tested low for both strawberries and almonds, but my dr said I should continue to eat them..hmm.....

I think allergy testing is really hit and miss. I test negative for peanut now, but I still have reactions from time to time. I eat them on a regular basis to ensure that the allergy does not return. My daughter had her first food reaction (a quite strong reaction) to pecan on New Year's Day. Testing showed no allergy at all. I suspect the serum used in the prick test was the wrong form of the allergen. Pecan is different from other nuts in that it becomes allergenic ones the proteins have been heated and/or aged. BTW, her food allergies are due to OAS as well. :-/

Almonds are definitely on the OAS list. I react to them raw, but not cooked. If you are reacting to foods in both raw and cooked form, it is possible you have a "true" allergy to them or maybe it's just a more severe form or OAS...or the cooked foods have been contaminated with raw proteins.

BTW, do be mindful of latex allergy down the road if you are reacting to avocado & banana. I tested for latex allergy with patch testing myself. I am not allergic to latex, but to a few other things...including components of adhesives...which is why I react to band-aids and medical tape. :)

Michelle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

foodiegurl Collaborator
I think allergy testing is really hit and miss. I test negative for peanut now, but I still have reactions from time to time. I eat them on a regular basis to ensure that the allergy does not return. My daughter had her first food reaction (a quite strong reaction) to pecan on New Year's Day. Testing showed no allergy at all. I suspect the serum used in the prick test was the wrong form of the allergen. Pecan is different from other nuts in that it becomes allergenic ones the proteins have been heated and/or aged. BTW, her food allergies are due to OAS as well. :-/

Almonds are definitely on the OAS list. I react to them raw, but not cooked. If you are reacting to foods in both raw and cooked form, it is possible you have a "true" allergy to them or maybe it's just a more severe form or OAS...or the cooked foods have been contaminated with raw proteins.

BTW, do be mindful of latex allergy down the road if you are reacting to avocado & banana. I tested for latex allergy with patch testing myself. I am not allergic to latex, but to a few other things...including components of adhesives...which is why I react to band-aids and medical tape. :)

Michelle

since the banana seems to be bothering my tummy and not OAS is that something different? I am still thinking it might be in my imagination..but it seems sometimes it bothers me, sometimes not.

Michi8 Contributor
since the banana seems to be bothering my tummy and not OAS is that something different? I am still thinking it might be in my imagination..but it seems sometimes it bothers me, sometimes not.

I don't know for sure. My obvious OAS symptoms are itchy mouth, throat, ears, and I know I will react in my eyes and on broken skin too if I have the allergen on my hands and touch my eyes or skin. I will also sometimes see GI tract reactions. However, the theory is that it shouldn't affect your gut, because the process of digestion will change the protein just as cooking does, but I think it really depends on someone's sensitivity as to whether they react or not.

That said, if you're reacting in the gut without the oral reaction, then maybe it's not OAS?

Michelle

Archived