elburn

Newbie Here, Looking For Input

Rate this topic

My son was just diagnosed with eosinophilgastro gastritis. He was allergy tested and was positive for wheat, corn, milk, tree nuts, tomatoes and oranges. His GI doc wants him to be gluten free and feels this will help him.

A couple of questions:

How long does it take to become "clean" of toxins?

How do you handle the vomiting? He is vomiting many times a day. How long to let his stomach relax? And what to try eating first?

Thank you for your feedback! :)

Hi Elburn,

Not really sure where I got this list, but I've kept a copy in my files for future reference. It is one of the best "lists" I've found yet. Hope this helps!

Disclaimer: This information, generated by Fox Valley Celiacs (FVC), is intended for the benefit of its members and other interested parties. Some celiacs may have other sensitivities (e.g. corn or soy). The text has not been submitted for approval to the Celiac Sprue Association (CSA). Neither FVC, nor any of its members, assume liability for the use of this information. Reproduction of this material is allowed to facilitate the exchange of celiac information. Food manufacturers' products are subject to formula change at any time. If you cannot confirm, by the label, that a product is gluten free, call the company's toll-free number. Many company websites will list their gluten-free products. A more inclusive list of gluten-free items can be found at www.glutenfreeinsd.com , which is also associated with CSA. ALWAYS read labels.

FOODS

Bacon― Oscar Meyer, Hormel

Baked Beans― B & M, Bush

what a great list. If he needs to stay gluten free, but he is also allergic to corn, should we eliminate the items on this list that have corn?

Of course you should eliminate all corn products. My suggestion is to do a little research on corn intolerances, read the labels and get rid of those "corn based" items. This is a basic Celiac List that I have used in the past. I don't have any other "poison foods" that I am aware of, so this list works for me. Print yourself a copy and scratch off all items that are corn based.

Another good site is posted below. You may want to check this link out also. When I was first diagnosed, I printed a copy of this list and took it everywhere with me. They have several good suggestions on this list also. Copy and paste this site in your address box. (This list is somewhat long to print)

homepage.mac.com/sholland/celiac/GFfoodlist.pdf

Remember to ALWAYS READ LABELS!!!!

Wenmin

My son was just diagnosed with eosinophilgastro gastritis. He was allergy tested and was positive for wheat, corn, milk, tree nuts, tomatoes and oranges. His GI doc wants him to be gluten free and feels this will help him.

A couple of questions:

How long does it take to become "clean" of toxins?

How do you handle the vomiting? He is vomiting many times a day. How long to let his stomach relax? And what to try eating first?

Thank you for your feedback! :)

How long to get rid of toxins? I have no idea. What to try eating first? I'd guess some gentle, plain, white rice. Maybe cook it with "too much" water and add a few vegetables to make it a rice soup. That might settle a tummy. Maybe saute some vegetables. Maybe make your own french fries if he just needs something that tastes good - but the oil might be too rich if he's that sensitive still. Many times celiacs need time to heal before we can handle eggs, dairy, or soy, so I'd probably want to avoid those things for a while, too. I keep coming back to rice and bananas when I'm having trouble. And fresh or canned vegetables, and fruits - but canned fruits do better because the fibers, etc., have been broken down a bit in the process and they simply taste more "gentle". It took me a while before I could handle any fresh fruits and I still have to be careful. I'd suggest rice, bananas, vegetables, canned fruit. These suggestions are just from my own very rough experiences... there is no medical background in this at all. Good luck to you!

I'm going to bet that if you eliminate his allergens, his vomitting will show a marked improvement. Start off with very simple whole foods that you prepare yourself, meat, vegetables, fruits, rice and beans. Of course nothing he tested postive to. Clean out your spice cabinet, throwing out anything that contains gluten and his other allergens and any spice you might have double dipped a contaminated spoon into. Then just prepare those whole foods with safe seasonings. When you've mastered that and his health is improving, then add other foods you feel are safe one at a time only every few days. That way if something new bothers him you'll know it right away. It wouldn't hurt to keep a food diary also. This can help with multiple food sensitivities and narrowing down his problem foods.

Good luck. It sounds like your dr is on top of it. That is great!