karenhockley

Got The Blood Panel Done While On gluten-free Diet

Rate this topic

I went to my doctor's a few months back and told him my symptoms and he decided to do the Celiac blood panel. The only problem is about a month before I made the appointment I started the gluten-free diet but when I told him that he said that was fine and that the gluten-free diet wouldn't have an impact on the test result and well now I'm looking at the test results and it negative. Just like I told him would happen. I'm feeling so great on the gluten-free lifestyle that I don't want to get off to get an accurate test result. Is that bad of me? Should I do the gluten challenge and feel like crap and have no energy? I'm just so confused.

here is a little background information. I was diagnosed when I was 9 months old with Celiac but when I was 8 the doctor at sick kids said there may be a chance that I've out grown Celiac (that was the early 80's) That is why I went on the gluten free diet before the doctors appointment that and I had to wait 3 weeks because he was out of town and I didn't want to see another doctor in the office just for them to pass it off as IBS or me just being crazy!

Does anyone out there have any advice or words of wisdom for me? That and even though this time I tested negative should I still get my kids tested? :(

You already have a celiac diagnosis. While it was once believed that it was a childhood disease and could be outgrown, research has proven this to be wrong. There does appear to be a period where you seem to be 'cured', but this is not the case. Sounds like your doctor needs some educating!

You should get your kids tested, since it is hereditary. Doesn't mean they will have it, but it's always better to err on the side of caution, IMO. (especially when dealing with our children's health)

Hi Karen,

I second all of lizard00's advice. Since you were diagnosed as a child, you will always have Celiac whether or not you have symptoms. Your test was negative most likely because you were gluten-free and there were no antibodies in your blood at the time.

Definitely have your children tested, as well as any first-degree relatives. :)

Thanks guys. I was leaning towards getting them tested but I'm not sure if my Doctor will try to talk me out of it since this last test result. I know that you can have Celiac and be symptom free.