kimmeycat

Gluten Free Ketchup

Rate this topic

We (my 18 year old daughter and I) are new to celiac disease. I am trying to run to the store to get ketchup for a recipe and would like to be able to grab one by name and run out with it, instead of having to read a million labels. Today has been a frustrating day talking to manufacturers and pharmacists to determine gluten free products.

Thank you,

Kimmey

Heinz :)

It gets better. Trust me.

We (my 18 year old daughter and I) are new to celiac disease. I am trying to run to the store to get ketchup for a recipe and would like to be able to grab one by name and run out with it, instead of having to read a million labels. Today has been a frustrating day talking to manufacturers and pharmacists to determine gluten free products.

Thank you,

Kimmey

Heinz Ketchup is labeled "GLUTEN FREE".

Thank you,

Kimmey

You may want to try Annie's products and they also do a gluten-free ketchup. It is sold in many regular food stores around me. They also have fantastic salad dressings and many are gluten-free. The trouble with the mainstream brands of food is they use a lot of high fructose corn syrup and other crappy products in their food lines. They may be gluten-free but what you are eating is far from healthy. Depends on how far you want to take this! I would highly recommend the Annie's line...they mark what is gluten free on the label.

Muir Glen is also gluten-free but a bit pricey. Just be aware that the Heinz Organic may or may not be gluten-free. Heinz has two websites: on one it lists the organic as gluten-free and on the other it says it's not gluten-free, so beware. I decided to try it and had a reaction but later learned I am developing a nightshade intolerance so take that with what you will. Just DON'T get the cheapy store brands. I also found that out the hard way.

Heinz gluten free Ketchup:

Easy Squeeze Ketchup

Hot & Spicy Kick'rs Ketchup

No Sodium Added Ketchup

Organic Ketcup

Taken from the triumphdining Grocery Guide - 2nd Edition. (2008-09)

At one time, the Heinz Organic Ketchup had gluten, but it no longer does. I don't know when it changed, but is not a recent change.

It's been a couple of years since Heinz listed the Organic Ketchup as not being gluten-free.

I'm not so sure Heinz Organic Ketchup is OK in the U.S. Per their FAQ it doesn't sound like it is gluten-free.

Are the products offered gluten-free? All Heinz Ketchups, with the exception of Heinz Organic Ketchup, are free of gluten-containing ingredients. Heinz Dijon Mustard also is a product that is free of gluten-containing ingredients.

From the Heinz gluten-free list:

Ketchup

[*]Daddies

Heinz IS gluten free...it is now stated on their label! At least it is here in Maine!

Tracey

If I'm not mistaken, Walmart's Great Value Brand is gluten-free, and says so on the label. (It's also cheaper.)

I agree that the Annie's Organics ketchup is very good, & safe (Annie's labels all their foods), plus is free of the additives & corn syrup that aren't good for us anyway. I also use Trader Joe's ketchup, which is on their gluten-free list, & I've never had any problems with it.

Good luck! It does get easier. :)

I use the little McDonald's ketchup packages. They go good with their fries! :D

best regards, lm

Hmm. Does anyone know of any gluten-free ketchup and/or mustard that doesn't use distilled vinegar? Or does anyone know of ketchup or mustard with vinegar distilled from something originally gluten free?

Do they ever make ketchup with apple cider vinegar? Is there any brand that uses it?

Don't be afraid of distilled vinegar as an ingredient. It should be safe.

Even if the vinegar is distilled, it almost never comes from wheat, if that's your worry.

I really can't name a ketchup that isn't gluten-free.

richard