Crayons574

Positive Gene Results (dq2)...now What?

Rate this topic

My Celiac DNA cheeck cell tests came back positive DQ2 (both alpha and beta I think?). I was wondering what the next step is. I have already gluten free (and all symptoms subsided) for almost a year. So, is the next step the gluten challenge and the biopsy? Do I go see a doctor? If so, what kind of doctor would be willing to test for celiac and actually knows what that is? Thanks for any advice you could offer.

My Celiac DNA cheeck cell tests came back positive DQ2 (both alpha and beta I think?). I was wondering what the next step is. I have already gluten free (and all symptoms subsided) for almost a year. So, is the next step the gluten challenge and the biopsy? Do I go see a doctor? If so, what kind of doctor would be willing to test for celiac and actually knows what that is? Thanks for any advice you could offer.

Hi,

First of all, having the HLA DQ2 gene marker means very little without symptoms (because a large percentage of humanity has that marker); it simply means that you might develop celiac disease. However, it sounds as though you did have symptoms before you went gluten free. Is that the case?

FYI, I've only been gluten free since November, but I am truly horrified by the very idea of going back on gluten. I know I would be so sick I would not be functional.

You probably realize that you would have to eat a lot of gluten foods for months before any testing would be meaningful. Do you really need an official diagnosis?

If you do, and you're willing to endure whatever gluten might inflict on you, then you should find a good gastroenterologist and ask him/her to run the full celiac panel on you. But not until AFTER you've been eating lots and lots gluten-y foods for at least 2 or 3 months.

Usually the doctor will run the bloodwork first, then do the intestinal biopsy.

Well, whatever you decide to do, good luck!

JoAnn

You continue on the diet. The most important thing in your post, IMHO even more important than the double DQ2, is what I have highlighted in your post.