jjc

Anyone Have Issues With Food Coloring?

Rate this topic

Just bought some necco wafers earlier today, which i read were gluten free, and haven't felt well since I ate them! I felt similar the last time I ate swedish fish (which also are supposed to be gluten free). I think it may be the food coloring, but i'm not sure. Does anyone else have issues when they eat anything with food coloring besides me?

There's no gluten in food coloring. Can't say if something else about it might bother you.

richard

Just bought some necco wafers earlier today, which i read were gluten free, and haven't felt well since I ate them! I felt similar the last time I ate swedish fish (which also are supposed to be gluten free). I think it may be the food coloring, but i'm not sure. Does anyone else have issues when they eat anything with food coloring besides me?

What are the ingredients in the wafers?

I know Swedish Fish have mineral oil in them. It can act as a laxative, I hear (although you'd probably have to eat a lot of Swedish Fish for that).

As far as food coloring goes, long before I had any suspicions about gluten, I found that certain food colorings affected me in certain ways, although it's hard to describe what they actually did do—but they did do something I can describe to myself via the way it feels. I wouldn't say they made me sick, per se, though.

IN the US there are only a few food colors (7) certified by the FDA. Two or three of them have been banned in other countries and there are consumer groups that feel strongly that these dyes contribute to autism, epilepsy, ADHD and any number of other disorders in children. Just look on wikipedia and you will find a place to start. These dyes and their history are fascinating.

Here is the wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_coloring

Here is a link that lists the adverse medical conditions linked to these dyes: http://www.cspinet.org/reports/chemcuisine.htm

I avoid the reds and yellows because I get a reaction to them if ingested in high quantities. Orange soda, for example, does me in. I also try to avoid them in toiletries, mouthwashes and toothpastes but they are pervasive in processed foods and the sodas most people drink.

The dyes used in food and drugs are in a separate class from the dyes used in toiletries-- there are more of those and several are derived from insects (cochineal red) and coal-tars (or petroleum.) The coal tars produce those bright blues. These substances too have come under suspicion and sme are also banned in other countries.

If you suspect food dyes are setting you off, do a little research on them and try to figure out if it is one in particular. Then avoid it.

Good luck!

This is something I posted a while ago and may or may not be relevant.

People, who are sticking to a gluten-free diet and still suffering some or all of the symptoms, should maybe take a look at food additives in processed and canned products.

Some times products use E numbers instead. (E1400 - E1450 should be avoided