This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Going Gluten-free

rebe09

rebe09 Contributor

I just started a gluten-free diet last Thursday. I am doing this to maintain a healthier lifestyle and to decrease fatigue and IBS. The first day was fine, but I have had a pretty bad headache, non-stop since Friday and some upper body soreness. Is this part of the withdrawing process? Anybody experience worse symptoms before feeling better.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

still tiredofdoctors Rookie

It was a long time ago that I started gluten-free lifestyle, but from what I remember, I didn't have the reaction you are having. Is there anything containing gluten that you were eating frequently? (I'm thinking caffeine withdrawal from chocolate or something like that, maybe?) That's not to say that you couldn't have that reaction to refraining from gluten. I think everyone's body reacts in a different way.

Good luck to you -- learning to live gluten-free can sometimes be a somewhat large learning curve -- but I think it's getting easier. When in doubt -- use the 800 number listed on packaging to hound the companies!!

RiceGuy Collaborator

A lot of people report having all sorts of aches and pains when first starting the gluten-free diet. It does seem to be quit common. However, if you've introduced any new foods, such as gluten-free breads, there may be some ingredient to which some or all the reactions may be attributed. In general, watch for the top allergens. Dairy in particular, which seems to bother may people, especially at first.

rebe09 Contributor

Thanks for the quick and informative info. I think some of it is contributed to some back and shoulder pains. We'll see! :)

TiffLuvsBread Rookie

I don't believe you actually "withdraw" from gluten? It's not like quitting smoking or drinking coffee - thankfully! I for one felt like a completely new person the very next day after my first solid day of eating completely gluten-free.

I would imagine you are sore and having headaches from something unrelated to not eating gluten. Like someone else said, there might be another allergen affecting you, or maybe it is just the weather! When the weather changes here in St Louis (which is constantly), I get headaches and my allergies really flair up. So it might just be convenient timing for you - give it a little more time since it has only been a couple of days and continue being STRICT on being gluten-free. Don't eat anything that says it may have come in contact with wheat or was produced in a facility that has wheat or gluten - you will see this on a package. Be VERY careful about what you eat out at a restaurant - as cross contamination could be an issue. At least for the very beginning stages it's best to eat very very strictly so you can be completely sure that it is the diet that is the problem.

Check for things you might not expect to contain gluten - soy sauce, certain spices, Naked juices (my favorite Naked juice contains wheat - a HUGE disappointment as I had a brand new $10 jug in the refrigerator when I did the fridge cleanse), certain yogurts, certain ice creams, a chocolate malt (ok maybe you would expect that..), etc.

Of course there is always the potential that you are not Celiac or gluten intolerant at all and you don't need to do this. Thinking that eating gluten-free is for a "healthier lifestyle" is a misunderstanding in the diet. It is not healthier for you to NOT eat gluten. If you have IBS and not Celiac or problems with gluten, cutting out gluten won't really help you.

Let us know how things progress! I hope you find some relief very soon.

ang1e0251 Contributor

Actually some people do get withdrawal symptoms from going off gluten. Maybe someone with more medical knowledge can speak up. The way I understand it the gluten can affect the same area of the brain that addictions reside in; the opiate centers. Please speak up if I'm not explaining it right.

So it is possible your symptoms can be withdrawal related. If that is the case, time will tell. You will just have to ride it out and it will improve. You may get some relief from sublingual B12. Also just stay with safe foods and ease your pain the best you can. I can't tell you how long it will take but it will give up at some point and you should feel better than ever, if gluten is a problem for you.

rebe09 Contributor
Actually some people do get withdrawal symptoms from going off gluten. Maybe someone with more medical knowledge can speak up. The way I understand it the gluten can affect the same area of the brain that addictions reside in; the opiate centers. Please speak up if I'm not explaining it right.

So it is possible your symptoms can be withdrawal related. If that is the case, time will tell. You will just have to ride it out and it will improve. You may get some relief from sublingual B12. Also just stay with safe foods and ease your pain the best you can. I can't tell you how long it will take but it will give up at some point and you should feel better than ever, if gluten is a problem for you.

Thanks for the informing note. Even though it's not fun experiencing these headaches, it's good to know it's possible to experience them as part of the withdrawing process. I have been gluten-free for 4 days and I can honestly say I feel amazing! I still have the headaches, but it has decreased dramatically. I'm going to see a physical therapist about possible shoulder pains. But, I can't remember the last time I felt so energized and well! One thing though... I feel more constipated than I have in awhile. Perhaps my stomach is still adjusting?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mindwiped Rookie

On the constipation...are you getting enough fiber? Many people on a standard gluten diet get most of their fiber from whole grain products (which is sad). Do you eat fresh fruits and veggies with the skins or peels? If so, then you might need a gluten-free fiber product, just search and there are thread about safe ones. Make sure you're getting enough water too, as that plays a part in it too.

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice

About the constipation....I found several posts about magnesium/potassium/calcium, tried it and it works for me. Banana and calcium with breakfast, magnesium before bed.

Also my withdrawals were a bit like PMS. Very emotional, cried over ice cream (I had to give up dairy, soy and gluten all at once). It went away and I've been fine since then.

ang1e0251 Contributor

Yes, magnesium is good for constipation and most of us are low on mag anyway.

rebe09 Contributor
On the constipation...are you getting enough fiber? Many people on a standard gluten diet get most of their fiber from whole grain products (which is sad). Do you eat fresh fruits and veggies with the skins or peels? If so, then you might need a gluten-free fiber product, just search and there are thread about safe ones. Make sure you're getting enough water too, as that plays a part in it too.

Should I eat veggies and fruits without the skin? I have never done that. I always eat with the skin (apples). I'll have to look for gluten-free fiber products. I try my best to drink water, but I probably only get about 20 oz. a day. I have struggled with constipation for quite some time, in hopes that going gluten-free will eliminate it to some degree. Time will tell.

rebe09 Contributor
About the constipation....I found several posts about magnesium/potassium/calcium, tried it and it works for me. Banana and calcium with breakfast, magnesium before bed.

Also my withdrawals were a bit like PMS. Very emotional, cried over ice cream (I had to give up dairy, soy and gluten all at once). It went away and I've been fine since then.

I just increased my calcium-magnesium dose and hope that helps! One thing I need to do is change the time of taking them from morning to evening.

TiffLuvsBread Rookie
Should I eat veggies and fruits without the skin? I have never done that. I always eat with the skin (apples).

No, no, DO eat with the skin, she was saying if you ARE already eating the fruit with their skin on and you are having a constip. problem, then you might need a gluten-free fiber product to get the amount you need in addition to all of this. You are doing it right - just give yourself some time and maybe you will need an additional fiber product. Going gluten-free won't get rid of constip. by itself, as many times you lose a lot of fiber by going gluten free.

Good luck :)

irish daveyboy Community Regular
I just started a gluten-free diet last Thursday. I am doing this to maintain a healthier lifestyle and to decrease fatigue and IBS. The first day was fine, but I have had a pretty bad headache, non-stop since Friday and some upper body soreness. Is this part of the withdrawing process? Anybody experience worse symptoms before feeling better.

There are withdrawl issues when going Gluten Free or Dairy Free!

These are postings I made on The Irish Coeliac Board.

Open Original Shared Link

I hope some of this helps.

Best Regards,

David

rebe09 Contributor

There are withdrawl issues when going Gluten Free or Dairy Free!

These are postings I made on The Irish Coeliac Board.

I hope some of this helps.

This helps a lot! It's good to know I'm not nuts or something! Overall, I have felt great today. More energy, but I do have this headache that just won't go away... It's decreasing for sure, but I can't do much activity until it comes back. I'm thinking its both the gluten withdrawal and shoulder pain. Great information. Thanks!

Best Regards,

David

mindwiped Rookie
No, no, DO eat with the skin, she was saying if you ARE already eating the fruit with their skin on and you are having a constip. problem, then you might need a gluten-free fiber product to get the amount you need in addition to all of this. You are doing it right - just give yourself some time and maybe you will need an additional fiber product. Going gluten-free won't get rid of constip. by itself, as many times you lose a lot of fiber by going gluten free.

Good luck :)

Yes, thank you, that is exactly what I meant.

I've had friends think they're getting plenty of fiber, but they peel all their apples, pears, peaches, which takes away a lot of the fiber. Sorry it wasn't clear.

On the fiber front, I have Sam's Club brand (Member's Mark) Fiber capsules that I take. The ingredients listed are: Psyllium husk, blue 1, caramel color, gelatin, polysorbate 80, shellac, sodium laurel sulfate, titanium dioxide. (In case I've missed something with gluten, DH is the celiac, and has no need of this item, I'm the only one who eats these, but please tell, so no one else glutens themselves.) Everything looks safe, and they do help, but you have to push the fluids with them. Anything non caffeinated counts as a fluid, so if you're not doing much pure water, but you drink other non caffeinated drinks and get plenty, don't worry.

• 3 weeks later...
amoliphant Newbie

I had terrible flu-like symptoms for a few days, tremendous headache, body aches and low grade fever, even. It was something to get through, but I new I was getting rid of toxins and that almost made it tolerable. I know I did the bare minimum as far as normal household chores, shopping, cooking, etc. About the third day it was gone and I have been symptom free for about 3 weeks now with the exception of diarrhea, which after reading other posts here, I attribute to healing intestines sort of being bewildered :) I don't want to speak too soon, but my joint pain is gone, my lower back pain when I get up in the morning is gone, the bloating is still hanging around a bit, but my hands (itchy, red, swollen) are cleared up and let's see, what else....oh, my extremely dry eyes (only at night, which was weird) have vanished. The moral of the story is, as others are coaching me through this forum is time....give your body time to heal....

Archived