redsidekick

Is This Other's Experience

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed and have been gluten free since mid Feb '09. Now starting my 5 month. I look back and see A LOT of improvement then the issues that first sent my to the doc (very sudden and severe), but sometimes I get days where I still feel crampy or get stomach and intestinal rumbles. Even on days I have been extremely careful about what I eat so I do not think it is a gluten or CC issue. Does anyone else experience this as they are recovering (Im 42).

I have to keep on reminding myself Im still better than I was four months, two months, even 1 month ago.

Many continue to have symptoms even years into being gluten-free. It varies greatly from person to person. However, many also find that other foods need to be avoided in order to feel better, or heal more completely. Dairy is perhaps one of the most common, and it seems that all the top allergens tend to cause trouble more often than less allergenic foods. So you may need to avoid dairy, and/or soy, eggs, corn, tree nuts, peanuts, etc. Other things to consider include nightshades, yeast, caffeine, MSG, canola, and probably a a few more things I'm not thinking of right now. It really depends on the person, and one of the best things you can do is to keep a food journal. After a week or two of keeping track of what you've eaten, and how you feel, some patterns may emerge. Sometimes, the reaction can manifest several days after ingestion, so having it all written down can really be helpful.

Thanks, I'll do that. It has just been frustrating. I'll feel good for a few days and think my worse days are past me, and then, like for the past 3 days, I'll feel little pains from time to time. I just need to keep reminding myself it is nowhere near how I felt earlier in the year.